Here’s why Nintendo Switch consoles keep frying

AbsolutSurgen

Here’s why Nintendo Switch consoles keep frying

Blame nonstandard design elements that exist in both Nintendo's and third parties' docks.

There is one area in which the rumors of Switches getting bricked due to proprietary, non-standard Nintendo design is correct, however. Nintendo wanted the Switch to slide very smoothly in and out of its dock—but the USB-C mechanical design spec doesn't allow for that. So Nintendo's own dock for the Switch is very slightly narrower than the USB-C standard in order to provide the desired smooth slide instead of the usual snug click.

Third parties want to emulate that mechanical feel as closely as possible, but there's no published standard—they basically just take a stab at it and hope for the best. Given that the standard already has pins spaced only 0.5mm apart, even a slight design or manufacturing defect is likely to cause a port to fail.

If the port fails open—meaning pins just don't make electrical contact—there's usually no real harm done. But if they fail short—meaning pins are bridged electrically to pins they have no business connecting to—you may easily overvolt a pin. Remember that 6V absolute maximum rating on the Configuration Channel of the Switch's USB-C PD chip? Well, it's only 0.5mm away from the VBus (main power line), which carries 15V.

Finally, you may brick your Switch if you use USB-C to USB-A adapter cables. There are two variants of the cable; one with a 10K ohm resistor, and one with a 56K ohm resistor. This isn't directly dangerous to the Switch itself, but using a 10K ohm cable with a low-powered USB-A charger may overload it, damaging the charger—and a damaged charger could produce unexpected voltage on an output pin, which might in turn damage the Switch as well.

Finally, you may brick your Switch if you use USB-C to USB-A adapter cables. There are two variants of the cable; one with a 10K ohm resistor, and one with a 56K ohm resistor. This isn't directly dangerous to the Switch itself, but using a 10K ohm cable with a low-powered USB-A charger may overload it, damaging the charger—and a damaged charger could produce unexpected voltage on an output pin, which might in turn damage the Switch as well.

USB-C is great for people who like researching their cables and printing out labels

10 hours ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

USB-C seems to create more problems than it solves 

9 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

If that's your takeaway from this then you literally didn't read anything and wanted to sound like a smartass.

USB-C is only partially at fault. The standard can use the same pins at different voltages and amps depending on the usage and it's up to the receiving device to know the difference. The spec does include pins that communicate this with the end device. The problem just gets exasperated when you throw non-standard adhering cables into the mix or poor labeling or anything else that isn't 100% right. It gets even worse when you realize that end users aren't very educated on the matter. People think a USB-C cable is a USB-C cable, when USB-C is just a port standard and not a cable standard. The cable standard can be anything from USB2.0 to USB3.1. That's why there was that old site about finding cables on Amazon that were actually up to spec since they could fry laptops if you used an incorrectly built cable.

Nintendo isn't immune to this. That's how you can fry your Switch charger if you plug a phone into it. A USB-C charger shouldn't do that, but Nintendo's own USB-C charger doesn't know how to properly communicate that with end devices. The Switch, however, does handle power fine. You can charge it off any properly spec'ed USB-C device. I've used Samsung chargers, USB charging strips, and even a Lenovo laptop charger without issue. The bigger problem comes from poor tolerances when it comes to data over USB-C to the Switch.

I guess this goes to show what the real problem is. Nintendo wanted the Switch to dock and undock easily and modified USB-C just enough to screw with potential third party docks.

3 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

So, basically make sure you only use the official Nintendo branded stuff and you’re safe.

This ^

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Why wouldn't you use the plug that came with the system?

Stupidity 

2 hours ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

I imagine a lot of people want to use the same charger they use for their phone

Phone charger. It’s pretty self explanatory 

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, I don't use any off brand junk for my systems.

Same. I’m very particular. 

50 minutes ago, Rodimus said:

This is lazy engineering to not have it meet the standards. This lapse in good engineering is going to cause many people to break their systems needlessly and accidentally. 

It’s kinda because there is no actual standard. A USB-C plug is meant for USB 3.1 spec afaik, but that “C plug” can be attached on a 2.0 or 3.0 cable and that’s where problems arise. I know people who use Android Auto that weren’t able to get it to work via cheap USB-C cables, and likewise for iPhones and CarPlay with generic lightning cables that don’t meet the full spec.

Guys, the female port on the Switch itself is a spec USB-C connector. It's only the male port on the dock that's non-spec. I've been using a Pixel USB-C charger as my portable Switch charger and it works fine. 

The only problem here is that Nintendo didn't release the specs for their dock connector to third party peripheral makers, so the peripheral makers just took their best shot at copying it, but did it wrong and created a situation where you can get an electrical short that overvolts your console. 

18 hours ago, Biggie said:

Stupidity 

Or because, you know, when I travel I want something that fits in my Pro controller carrying case instead of having to lug around the giant wall wart that comes with the Switch, and don't want to have to unplug the charger from the dock every time I want to take the Switch on the road.

18 hours ago, Biggie said:

Phone charger. It’s pretty self explanatory

:duckhuntdog: