The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Information Thread (Launching 09/20/19)

1 hour ago, atom631 said:

normally it does bother me of its noticeable, but i haven't noticed a single stutter or slowdown. 

with that, i was trying to figure out how long ive been playing... i looked it up and it says you can go under your profile and it will list it. but i when i check, it just says on the game "first played 2 days ago" 

any idea? 

It’ll say that until it’s been like 10 days since purchase. Then it will show time played. It’s weird.  

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Don't buy one. It has 5 games on it, tops.

I was pretty down on the switch library in the first year or so, but at this point in the game this comment is bordering on nutso.

YMMV on what you’re interested in indie games and old games, but the thing has got more games than I can afford time-wise to play on it, and recently it has been the only system of mine that has gotten much use. 

If you haven't owned a Nintendo console since Wii or earlier, there is plenty reason to own a Switch. There are of course Nintendo exclusives, and then it's also a great system for many 2d indies for the portability factor without a significant loss in quality.

With that in mind, my library currently looks like the following.

Nintendo Exclusives

• Zelda BotW
  • Mario Odyssey
  • Bayonetta 1/2
  • Mario + Rabbids
  • Mario Kart
  • Smash Brothers
  • New Super Mario Bros U
  • Super Mario Maker
  • Kirby Star Allies
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • Yoshi's Crafted World
  • Fire Emblem Three Houses
  • Astral Chain

Indies

• Hollow Knight
  • Dead Cells
  • Celeste
  • Baba is You
  • Fe
  • Unravel Two
  • SteamWorld Dig 2
  • Katana Zero
  • Marble It Up!
  • Not a Hero
  • Ape Out
  • GRIS
  • My Friend Pedro

Other third party

• Diablo 3
  • Collection of Mana

And I by no means have all the exclusives (indeed, I don't yet have this one!).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

No, Secret of Mana is the second game. The first game came out here as Final Fantasy Adventure. Trials of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 3) never released outside of Japan until the Collection of Mana. 

Nice. I guess I’ll grab collection soon to ply through at least secret. 

8 hours ago, legend said:

I'm not familiar with the series, but I am considering trying it out.

You may want to wait for the remake of the slightly superior first game, announced for next year on Switch.  Xenoblade 2 has a fairly significant call back to the first, but it’s a very small part of its overall story,

These are fantastic JRPGs.  Great music, fun battle systems, don’t-spoil plot twists, and huge environments that aren’t afraid to go vertical.  The developer also worked on BotW and may have lent their expertise it’s world design and tech.

I’d also highly recommend DQ11, out soon on Switch.  But the Xenoblade series leaves a bit more of a lasting impression IMO.

There’s also a short game DLC expansion to Xenoblade 2.  Picked it up recently, I’ll be playing through it when I’ve got the time.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Xenoblade 2 is the sorest omission, IMO.  I enjoyed that game about as much as BoTW.

thats a bold statement. BOTW is one of the best games this gen. 

i tried xenoblade 1 on the wiiu and it ran so bad i couldnt play it. 

do i need to play 1 in order to play 2? isnt there some sort of definitive edition coming out soon>? 

Edit - Nevermind - you answered right above me! 

I really liked Xenoblade Chronicles 1 in a lot of ways, but felt it was pretty weak in terms of combat and the side quests were some of the worst ever made. Xenoblade Chronicles X was really interesting despite having a very similar (not the same, but in the same ballpark) combat system but, I felt, better world exploration. I'd really be interested in an X2 with more time in the oven. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 put me off in a lot of ways, chiefly the character design, the way-more-anime story, the system clearly being beaten to death as it went as low as like 240p as you explored the world, and how ungodly long it takes to actually get the (much better, in my opinion) combat tutorials out of the way so you could properly play the game. It was such a big issue it made me stop playing the game completely and I've yet to go back to it and finish it, although I'd like to at some point once this game deluge ends.

None of them are bad games at all, but each has its own bevy of problems to deal with. Their stories, once you get to the meat of them, tend to be very interesting in theme if nothing else.

55 minutes ago, atom631 said:

thats a bold statement. BOTW is one of the best games this gen. 

i tried xenoblade 1 on the wiiu and it ran so bad i couldnt play it.

Are you sure you didn't play Xenoblade X (a different game) on the Wii U?  The original was a Wii release.  There may have been some occasional slowdown in larger battles, but otherwise, it's a solid 30fps.  Which at the time was insane for the hardware considering the scale of the environments and draw distance.

6lPtgN3.jpg

As for the BoTW comparison with Xenoblade 2, I think the latter stuck with me more.  It's less polished in a few ways, and takes longer to really get going.  But it makes up for some things BoTW felt a bit lacking on (music, plot, etc), while still being a sprawling game with lots to explore.

I got a heavy Xenoblade vibe from some areas in BoTW, such as the Zora domain.  And that's present in X2 too.

0f0f85c177df8aff926dc40a9cd224aabd367034

58 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I really liked Xenoblade Chronicles 1 in a lot of ways, but felt it was pretty weak in terms of combat and the side quests were some of the worst ever made. Xenoblade Chronicles X was really interesting despite having a very similar (not the same, but in the same ballpark) combat system but, I felt, better world exploration. I'd really be interested in an X2 with more time in the oven. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 put me off in a lot of ways, chiefly the character design, the way-more-anime story, the system clearly being beaten to death as it went as low as like 240p as you explored the world, and how ungodly long it takes to actually get the (much better, in my opinion) combat tutorials out of the way so you could properly play the game. It was such a big issue it made me stop playing the game completely and I've yet to go back to it and finish it, although I'd like to at some point once this game deluge ends.

None of them are bad games at all, but each has its own bevy of problems to deal with. Their stories, once you get to the meat of them, tend to be very interesting in theme if nothing else.

Yeah, I know we've gone back and forth on the first game.  Shit sidequests, we can agree.  I really did enjoy the combat though, especially playing with Melia as the main once she joins the party.  I still think that's the strength of, the combat can play very differently depending on who the party lead is.  Otherwise, X2's combat is more engaging, but perhaps a tad convoluted.  The performance issues are a shame.  I just avoided playing it handheld.

The payoff in X2 is absolutely worth it, especially if you beat the first.  I also didn't like some characters and the anime tone they struck with them (Poppy, blegh), but overall, I found it tolerable to get to the better story bits and environments.

Xenoblade X has a great world to explore, but got heavily bogged down in its progression systems.  It's like they took the bad side-quest design in Xenoblade 1 and ramped it up into the basis for everything.  The makes the game skipable to me, even with neat environments and mech flight.  It's the most polarizing.

36 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I fucking hate the combat in the Xenoblade games. MMO Trash combat only works in an mmo. 

To each his own, but I think especially by X2, it's become much more of its own thing now.  It's always had some twists on the formula.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

You may want to wait for the remake of the slightly superior first game, announced for next year on Switch.  Xenoblade 2 has a fairly significant call back to the first, but it’s a very small part of its overall story,

These are fantastic JRPGs.  Great music, fun battle systems, don’t-spoil plot twists, and huge environments that aren’t afraid to go vertical.  The developer also worked on BotW and may have lent their expertise it’s world design and tech.

I’d also highly recommend DQ11, out soon on Switch.  But the Xenoblade series leaves a bit more of a lasting impression IMO.

There’s also a short game DLC expansion to Xenoblade 2.  Picked it up recently, I’ll be playing through it when I’ve got the time.

Waiting for the remake of the first sounds like a good plan. That some of the developers worked on BotW is very encouraging and now you have me more interested!

1 hour ago, legend said:

Waiting for the remake of the first sounds like a good plan. That some of the developers worked on BotW is very encouraging and now you have me more interested!

Here's a quote:

“On Skyward Sword, Monolith had mainly helped us on graphics design and other artistic elements. Even though we could have asked them for help on the technical side, we realized their way of making games was completely different from ours and we didn’t have much to learn from them on this installment, since we were almost doing two different jobs. On the other hand, for Breath of the Wild, we’ve been assisted by level designers used to large game areas, in order to make topographic arrangements.”

Xenoblade is definitely more linear in spite of having huge land masses, but you can still feel the influence.

Solid plan, by the way.  I'd still recommend Dragon Quest XI if you want something epic on Switch in the meanwhile. Looks like a great port (of a great game), and there's a lengthy demo available.

• Thanks 1

Definitely loving the game so far 3 dungeons in. NOBODY does this type of game better than Nintendo. It's making me want to go back and finish BoTW. 

Have there been any patches to BoTW in the last year? Been that long since I played 😔 maybe a reduction in weapon degrading.. Wishful thinking probably.. 

And it probably doesn't accommodate long breaks from the game IE telling you what or where to go next etc being so open world like it is 

I played a good deal of this game at a friend's house this weekend and really love it. That classic Zelda feel. The music is fantastic. The frame rate drop is very noticeable and happens for me mostly when I collect an attack/defense item and have that shimmer around Link. I actively avoid grabbing those because of it, especially since I now upgraded my armor. It's not a game breaker but it's slightly distracting. Overall, really enjoying the game since it's my first time playing it and I'm so curious where the story is going. I have 5 instruments now.

Just finished the game. It was a really fun ride and opening my switch to play it was well worth it. This game was a nice break from FPS or western RPGs with ultra-deep mechanics. Very simple gameplay and accompanied with really amazing (and sometimes hard) dungeon design.  I’ll admit I’m not a huge Nintendo fan, but this game really highlights what makes them great at their place in the gaming industry. 

my only real complaint and I said this earlier...is that the bosses were way too easy. And it’s a stark contrast to the dungeons that could be very difficult at time to figure out. 

They really kept the old school vibe in this game and it worked really well with the QoL changes and updated graphics. I’ll admit that I had to look some hints on YouTube in several spots. After years of games basically holding your hand and pointing you to the next objective, this game really does none of that. There were certain things where If you didn’t connect the dots with what to do next (so to speak)  you would’ve had to comb over the whole map again and interacted when all NPC, houses, landmarks to try to trigger something. It definitely could’ve added literal hours to the game. At my age i don’t have the patience for that, but i appreciate the lack of handholding and Nintendo not dumbing it down for the modern age. 

something interesting to note is that there was a digital sale the other day and I picked up a few games, all of which Were installed on the internal memory. Once I did that, I absolutely noticed some of the framerate issues everyone else observed. Mostly coming in and out of houses and when you moved on to the next tile on the map. Just a slight chop but it cleared right up. Luckily i was already up to the 8th dungeon when this happened so there wasn’t much left in the game that i had to deal with it. 

As for the switch - i don’t know where they get 9hrs of battery life in handheld mode from. A 2-3hr play session will completely drain the battery. I would say maybe 4hrs max.  Maybe they mean off charge, in sleep mode it’ll last 9 hrs. And if this is an improvement over the old switch, that’s just ridiculous. Almost feels like it defeats the purpose of handheld mode (which I basically played the entire game in). 

I’m now either going to play Jotun, bc it looks cool AF, or move right on to astral chain. Or maybe I’ll jump back and forth! :dancing:

• Like 1