The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Information Thread (Launching 09/20/19)

2 hours ago, ort said:

I never played this game, or if I did, I don't remember it...

But seriously, a gameboy game from the early 90s still holds up as one of the best Zelda games?

I think it will. The gameboy-ness if it was like smaller but more in depth map, and constant switching of items. The story is the best in the series. The characters are some of the best in the series. It’s got great dungeons and bosses. 

6 hours ago, ort said:

But seriously, a gameboy game from the early 90s still holds up as one of the best Zelda games?

Yes.  It's a tighter, more focused game than LttP.  No space is wasted, including the overworld.  The dungeon design was a high mark for the series at release, inspiring the multi-layered several room spanning puzzles in (3D) Zeldas that followed.  And there's real heart to it.  By the end, you'll be thinking back on the journey's meaning, which is crazy for a handheld game released in 1993.  It's still effective, even with all the introspective stuff out now.

It's a special game.  It wouldn't bother me if someone plays this remake and thinks the combat isn't modern enough, that it needs richer sidequests, a bigger map, more interesting dungeon items, etc.  But those that do love it have great taste. :sun:

I loved the hell out of this game when I was a kid, but I worry the adventure is going to be pretty shallow and short for $60. After all, it was like $30 brand new and was designed specifically for a handheld where battery life was equated to dollar signs, double As and all that.

At $60, I'm really hoping for more than just a nice art style, and that art style has already cost the game in terms of performance. The shitty dungeon maker doesn't appear to be worthwhile, so I hope they were able to make meaningful additions to the game that keep it feeling as tight and focused as before. It's not necessarily a SUPER short game, but it's coming in at the same price as Breath of the Wild, so I expect at least normal Zelda game length in exchange.

49 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I loved the hell out of this game when I was a kid, but I worry the adventure is going to be pretty shallow and short for $60. After all, it was like $30 brand new and was designed specifically for a handheld where battery life was equated to dollar signs, double As and all that.

Inflation would bring the price to $53 today.  $60 is still somewhat expensive for a remake of anything, but maybe its so not unreasonable for the effort that's being put in.

It's more surprising to think that console game prices are now only a few bucks more than GB games were, adjusted.

It's not terribly surprising. Costs of actual manufacturing have gone through the floor for the most part. I was gonna say we no longer need games on cartridges, but the Switch uses them... but still, they're not comparable with those bulky ass things they used to come on.

That said, the way I see it, this game was launched at Half Priceâ„¢ in its heyday, and now it's being launched at Full Priceâ„¢, inflation cost doesn't change my opinion, because 3DS games still sell for cheaper!

I think you should really be evaluating on the basis of content, not perception.  Sometimes those Half Price games had more fleshed out modes and features than Full Price ones.  The GB(A) Mario Tennis/Golf games are a great examples.  They made the N64 and GCN versions look lazy.

Link's Awakening isn't the longest Zelda, but it's by no means a short game.  There's 9 dungeons in the DX version.  The same amount as Twilight Princess actually.

I am evaluating on content! It's the same content I played on a Game Boy like 20 years ago for $30! All I'm saying is I hope they justify the price with even more content (which I trust them to do after Link Between Worlds) rather than an art style too powerful for the system.

On 6/12/2019 at 4:55 PM, crispy4000 said:

Might as well get over the fact that this isn’t for you then.  It’s for those who loved the original to death, or who never played it or finished it.

Its also a remake of the best Zelda game ever made.  So I don’t mind the price tag.  No one should get cold feet if they’re new to it.  It’s Nintendo at their best.

I've never played the original, I dislike the art style and I've never finished a Zelda game before so this game is for me?

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I've never played the original, I dislike the art style and I've never finished a Zelda game before so this game is for me?

The artstyle is just the book's cover IMO.  I wouldn't avoid it for that reason, unless you absolutely can't stand it.

If you've never beaten a Zelda before, Link's Awakening is arguably the tightest, most focused entry in the series.  It's a great game to say 'I'd finally like to try beating one of these' with.  That doesn't mean you will, but this might be the best opportunity (and the payoff is worth it).

Which Zelda games have you earnestly tried to beat? 

I actually didn't do that with Link's Awakening until 2009.  I never owned a Game Boy before the GBA, only borrowed them.

3 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

What Zelda games have you earnestly tried to beat?

"Tried to beat" is kind of an odd phrase. In any case more like played, then stopped eventually are: Link's Awakening, Skyward Sword and BOTW. I probably got furthest in Four Sword's adventures but you've got other people there pushing you for motivation. :p

10 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

"Tried to beat" is kind of an odd phrase. In any case more like played, then stopped eventually are: Link's Awakening, Skyward Sword and BOTW. I probably got furthest in Four Sword's adventures but you've got other people there pushing you for motivation. :p

Yeah, Skyward Sword and BotW aren't the games I'd tell you to play (yet).  BotW in particular is massive.  Skyward Sword is padded out with pacing issues and relies on motion the whole time.

I'd still say give Link's Awakening another go.  Play it with other people here beating it for the first time.  Use that as motivation.

I don’t understand trying to persuade somebody to like something they don’t like :lol:

Anyway, ordered this for my boys and look forward to playing it after they finish.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t understand trying to persuade somebody to like something they don’t like :lol:

If he outright said he didn't like what he played, then sure.  Based on the conversation, I'm not sure that's what this is.  After all, he asked a question on it, even when he spent (a very brief) time with the original.

We've all dabbled with some franchises here or there.  Other games and interests are followed first.  Life gets in the way.  We have to return a game rental, only play the demo, hand the Game Boy back at the end of the road trip, etc.  Its good to get a nod sometimes to go revisit things, give them a fuller shot.

15 hours ago, atom631 said:

Reviews are up tomorrow am, correct?

i don’t usually care so much about reviews, but I’ve got an unopened switch sitting in my house and I’m trying to decide if i want to keep it or not. This game is a driving factor. 

Don’t forget to include Astral Chain & Fire Emblem Three Houses

13 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Don’t forget to include Astral Chain & Fire Emblem Three Houses

They are on my radar.  Im reluctant to keep this switch bc im amazed at how even older games are still full price and how expensive the remakes are. I was looking to grab Mario Odyssey for the kids and even used its still over $50. On the xbox or PS4, that wouldve been a $20 classic by now. They want $50 for skyrim!!! 

43 minutes ago, atom631 said:

They are on my radar.  Im reluctant to keep this switch bc im amazed at how even older games are still full price and how expensive the remakes are. I was looking to grab Mario Odyssey for the kids and even used its still over $50. On the xbox or PS4, that wouldve been a $20 classic by now. They want $50 for skyrim!!! 

It's the dipshit tax.

6 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

It's the dipshit tax.

lol i guess. if the customers are willing to pay...then they might as well charge what they want. 

just amazes me that with Xbox or PS4 when they have a mid-gen refresh you can pick up an amazing deal on a console and games bundle. or just grab a bunch of cheap games. not with nintendo. 

55 minutes ago, atom631 said:

FYI, Walmart sells all new games at $50 or lower now.

I'd wait until Black Friday if you want deeper 1st party deals.  Not for the newest stuff though.