The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Information Thread (Launching 09/20/19)

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

FYI, Walmart sells all new games at $50 or lower now.

I'd wait until Black Friday if you want deeper 1st party deals.  Not for the newest stuff though.

if I  keep it thats my plan. im also still a BB platinum member, although sadly my GCU unlocked. but as a platinum i get the black friday deal like a week early and they are always really good. ill probably grab a few games then 

there is also this deal on slickdeals.net where i can get up $20 off games. So I could get Mario and Octopath or Mario Kart for around $80bux. not great but not terrible. 

57 minutes ago, atom631 said:

if I  keep it thats my plan. im also still a BB platinum member, although sadly my GCU unlocked. but as a platinum i get the black friday deal like a week early and they are always really good. ill probably grab a few games then 

there is also this deal on slickdeals.net where i can get up $20 off games. So I could get Mario and Octopath or Mario Kart for around $80bux. not great but not terrible. 

For the money, I'd recommend Odyssey above any others in that link, save for BoTW.  There's just a ton of content and replayability in it.

You can look into Mario & Rabbids too.  When that goes on sale, it's $20 (or $26 with DLC).  It followed Ubisoft pricing, not Nintendo pricing.

Just to mention it, I instantly regretted purchasing Slay the Spire on PC after getting around to it.  Because that game is perfect for Switch.  If you do keep your system and see an eShop sale, I'd highly recommend it.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

For the money, I'd recommend Odyssey above any others in that link, save for BoTW.  There's just a ton of content and replayability in it.

You can look into Mario & Rabbids too.  When that goes on sale, it's $20 (or $26 with DLC).  It followed Ubisoft pricing, not Nintendo pricing.

Just to mention it, I instantly regretted purchasing Slay the Spire on PC after getting around to it.  Because that game is perfect for Switch.  If you do keep your system and see an eShop sale, I'd highly recommend it.

What about octopath traveler?

10 minutes ago, atom631 said:

What about octopath traveler?

I have it, but haven't played it yet.

I have beaten the entirety of Xenoblade 2 and DQXI however.  Those are worth every penny.  Xenoblade 2's been down to $40 before.  You don't need to start with the first.  Though that's coming too ...

... and I'd recommend ahead of those once its out.

30 minutes ago, best3444 said:

How bad are we talking in terms of framerate?

I'll play this at some point hopefully.

It can sometimes drop from 60/fps to 30. It doesn't seem to drop any further than that. I'm actually surprised they didn't just lock it at 30 and be done with it. It doesn't seem like that would have been a big deal, especially with Link, himself, being directionally locked like he was on the Gameboy.

• Thanks 1

The game is a disaster in terms of performance in certain spots, fairly predictable, but also at random on top of that? It frankly makes no sense and if I had to guess I'd chalk it up to streaming data or something over raw power, as the frame rate will shoot right back up after a couple seconds... Come to think of it, maybe it's some weird vsync issue? Like the load makes the frame dip for a second, which causes a multi second disaster as the vsync drops to 30 then back up?

It theoretically seems patch-able based on what little I've seen and my laymen's understanding, but it's still shameful considering the 3DS pulled off 60 FPS in 3D for crying out loud with Link Between Worlds, which honestly aside from some specular highlights to make things look a little clay like and a blatant abuse of tilt shift, looked pretty damn similar to this game in many ways. In 2013. On a handheld even older than that. While rendering the game twice. On a system half the Switch's size.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

The game is a disaster in terms of performance in certain spots, fairly predictable, but also at random on top of that? It frankly makes no sense and if I had to guess I'd chalk it up to streaming data or something over raw power, as the frame rate will shoot right back up after a couple seconds... Come to think of it, maybe it's some weird vsync issue? Like the load makes the frame dip for a second, which causes a multi second disaster as the vsync drops to 30 then back up?

It theoretically seems patch-able based on what little I've seen and my laymen's understanding, but it's still shameful considering the 3DS pulled off 60 FPS in 3D for crying out loud with Link Between Worlds, which honestly aside from some specular highlights to make things look a little clay like and a blatant abuse of tilt shift, looked pretty damn similar to this game in many ways. In 2013. On a handheld even older than that. While rendering the game twice. On a system half the Switch's size.

From what I've read it a combination of the Vsync method and the system memory usage as it effects the data streaming.  

Edit: to be clear the memory issue appears to be a memory leak. 

9 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Considering I've fallen into holes and been hit by enemies during frame drops as the game becomes unresponsive and literally drops inputs, I'm gonna say the performance is going to be an issue for just about anyone. These are not tiny hiccups.

Relax, Just be as cool as Chris believes himself to be and you won't get nerd drops buddy! :feelsgood:

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Anyone having frame rate problems with the game card?

I don't have a physical copy but from what I've read/watched, the worst of the FPS effects happen on a physical copy or when placed digitally on an SD Card. Only a digital copy on internal memory seems to run smoother, and it still hitches.