The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Information Thread (Launching 09/20/19)

5 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

lol look at this fuckin' dude, didn't even know about the color dungeon.

Had no idea!! Just watched a YT video.  Kinda glad, the game is really easy in terms of fighting. That would’ve made it easier. 

i did come across that area in graveyard and couldn’t figure it out and said fuck it. I’ll check it later. Totally forgot to go back. 

1 hour ago, atom631 said:

After years of games basically holding your hand and pointing you to the next objective, this game really does none of that. There were certain things where If you didn’t connect the dots with what to do next (so to speak)  you would’ve had to comb over the whole map again and interacted when all NPC, houses, landmarks to try to trigger something. It definitely could’ve added literal hours to the game. At my age i don’t have the patience for that, but i appreciate the lack of handholding and Nintendo not dumbing it down for the modern age. 

This is really interesting for me to read. As someone who played the original when it came out, I felt like Link’s Awakening was super handholdy compared to the first three. This game literally tells you where to go after every dungeon and has a phone network dedicated solely to giving you tips.

You’re correct of course, in that many modern games you just follow a compass or a quest marker and Link’s Awakening is for sure less guided than that.

Interesting example of how experience shapes perception! :)  

42 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

It opens when you move gravestones in a certain direction. The directions are in a book at library (you have to dash to knock it down). One tunic improves attack, the other improves defense. 

I wonder if the color dungeon feels different from the others for people who never played the original game without it. It does to me, but I wonder if it’s related to the same stuff in my previous post. 

9 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

This is really interesting for me to read. As someone who played the original when it came out, I felt like Link’s Awakening was super handholdy compared to the first three. This game literally tells you where to go after every dungeon and has a phone network dedicated solely to giving you tips.

You’re correct of course, in that many modern games you just follow a compass or a quest marker and Link’s Awakening is for sure less guided than that.

Interesting example of how experience shapes perception! :)  

It’s definitely more handholdy compared to 1 (which other than BOTW is the only  other Zelda ive played). I’m really comparing to modern games where they give you an outlined path. Or a compass in the HUD with an objective marker. Its basically been this way for years and this game definitely felt more old school in that regards. 

also - even though at some point after completing a dungeon you would get a hint as to where to go, it still didn’t define the route. Not that the map is big, but reach some areas was a little tricky. Also the telephone booths only give you a hint so far. I would say there was probably 3 or so times where i felt stumped and the booths told me where i needed to be, but not what I needed to do first to get there. And I’m ok with that. One off the top of my head i can remember 

Spoiler

The booth said it was under the weathervane. I took that as the house all the way up north, with the dude and the Chickens. That house had a weathervane on it. I spent a god awful amount of time in that area trying to figure it out  turns out it was the rooster statue in the starting village 

i would’ve never figured that out unless i did what I mentioned and scrubbed the whole world to try to trigger something. So after over an hour or two, I said F IT and looked it up. 

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, chakoo said:

Took me a while but I finally beat the remake. I generally enjoyed it but a few parts were a little excessively frustrating. Over all I would love it if they used this visual style to remake a few other zelda games (like the oracle games or LTTP).

I would instantly pick up remakes of the Oracle games. I never finished Ages and it was the only one of those games I had way back when.

• 2 months later...