Battletoads (20 August 2020) OT - Parks & Recreational Violence

46 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Oooph. Do not want this art style for the toads. It looks cheap and I don't like it. It doesn't mean I won't play it, but the toads deserve better! 

Looks like its straight out of Cartoon Network

There’s no way it won’t be on PC.  That’s what ‘console exclusive’ means these days.

As for the game, it does look a lot better than I expected from a trash C-tier indie studio. That’s still my greatest concern about it.  I want the 5 minutes I played Overruled! back.

2 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

What really amuses me is the nostalgia we all have for Battletoads. I'm all like "yeah, Battletoads!" but i never really made it past the third stage of the NES game, and only recently played the arcade version through Rare Replay, and its not even that good.

I spent the money on the arcade board. I'm a disagree with you on that, the game is a blast, especially with three players.

9 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Tghe original is a fantastic game!

I'm not trying to take away your enjoyment of it or anything, but game design just isn't good. 

It's punishing to an absurd degree on the random cheapness of it, especially when you get to the little hover-bike level. The time you have to put in to learn the patterns isn't worth it. 

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

I'm not trying to take away your enjoyment of it or anything, but game design just isn't good. 

It's punishing to an absurd degree on the random cheapness of it, especially when you get to the little hover-bike level. The time you have to put in to learn the patterns isn't worth it. 

I agree, that's why I prefer the arcade game, which is great. I doubt this new game will be as cheap and punishing.

• 1 year later...

The Battletoads are back! Join Rash, Zitz and Pimple as they smash, stomp, drill, turbo bike, leap, shoot and generally be toadally awesome in their all-new, action-packed, multi-genre adventure of choreographed chaos! Battletoads launches on Xbox, Windows 10, Xbox Game Pass and Steam on August 20th. Developed by Dlala Studios in partnership with Rare.

18 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

What the fuck did they do to the Dark Queen?

The game looks fun, but I'm really not a fan of that shitty Cartoon Network style animation.

On 6/10/2019 at 3:25 PM, LazyPiranha said:

I can feel a bunch of neck bearded chodes just ranting about "calarts style" on Twitter without even having to read it.  Feels good man.

As true today as it was a year ago!

• Haha 3

On 7/31/2020 at 12:42 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

Looks like it would make a better TV show.

Still that trailer in 4k looking mighty smooth.

22 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

What the fuck did they do to the Dark Queen?

The game looks fun, but I'm really not a fan of that shitty Cartoon Network style animation.

It literally looks like a game tie-in to a TV show. Especially with the voice acting and lines.

19 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Call me whatever you want, it still looks like shit. I'll take traditional 2D over that lazy auto tweened digital crap any day.

I don't mind the art style for the game itself, but those cutscenes are :sick:

Not judging you, there’s just a weirdly large backlash against this particular art style these days which is funny because it’s mostly middle aged white guys complaining about shows aimed at tweens.  

I find it impossible to care about the battletoads art style.  People up in arms about it seem to forget what battletoads actually was.  Battletaods when it was created was nothing more than a cheap knock-off of the popular cartoon style at the time.  It makes perfect sense that a modern battletoads would just be yet another cheap knock-off of the current popular art style.  

8 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

Battletaods when it was created was nothing more than a cheap knock-off of the popular cartoon style at the time.  It makes perfect sense that a modern battletoads would just be yet another cheap knock-off of the current popular art style.  

I would say it used the art style of popular shows at the time, shows that all have better art styles than shows do now.