Ford v Ferrari Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Trailer 2)

The pedigree of the film alone would have me in the theater for this, and trailer does not disappoint. Can’t wait for this!

The GT is my favorite car of all time, and with the talent involved, I'll be seeing this for sure. Didn't love the trailer, but it didn't really need to sell me on anything.

There was an exotic car dealer in town that I'd visit occasionally in high school that was owned by a guy who really loved cars. They mostly sold new Bentleys, Lambos, and Ferraris, but they'd get in more exciting stuff occasionally. The owner would also put some of his personal collection out periodically, and among them was a race driven GT40. God I loved that thing, before I even knew what its story was.

If you're not familiar with the story, and don't mind being a bit spoiled to history, James May did a great recap in Season 1 of The Grand Tour.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TwinIon said:

The GT is my favorite car of all time, and with the talent involved, I'll be seeing this for sure. Didn't love the trailer, but it didn't really need to sell me on anything.

There was an exotic car dealer in town that I'd visit occasionally in high school that was owned by a guy who really loved cars. They mostly sold new Bentleys, Lambos, and Ferraris, but they'd get in more exciting stuff occasionally. The owner would also put some of his personal collection out periodically, and among them was a race driven GT40. God I loved that thing, before I even knew what its story was.

If you're not familiar with the story, and don't mind being a bit spoiled to history, James May did a great recap in Season 1 of The Grand Tour.

Yea, same here; a GT40 MK1 or MK3 is a car I plan to own before I die (I don’t care if it’s a replica :p ) and is arguably one of the most important American made cars ever produced and engineered. Alongside the 1968 Ford/Shelby GT500E, it’s probably my favorite car.

BTW Donut Media on YouTube has a great summary of the Ford GT which spans the original GT40, the 2005 Ford GT and the 2017 model.

This will likely only “spoil” the first 5-10 minutes of the movie but, just in case... it’s hysterical that this all happened because 

Spoiler

Enzo Ferrari decided to be a snobby douche bag and bail on allowing Ford to buy a majority stake in Ferrari at the very last minute (literally at the final paper signing that Henry Ford flew out for personally - when Ferrari was supposed to sign after Ford, he “looked down his nose” and said “no”). Which caused Ford to be enraged, give his engineers a blank check telling them that he doesn’t just want to beat Enzo Ferrari, he wants to  embarrass Ferrari. :lol: 

19 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Probably see this with my dad as we are both big Ford/Shelby fans.  We were just at the Ford Nationals in Carlisle on Friday. Somebody had one of the new Ford GT's there. First time seeing that one in person. It was a sight to behold.:drool:

The 2017 is absolutely gorgeous, it's one of the few cars that looks amazing in literally every available color... BUT, what color was it in? :daydream: 

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

The 2017 is absolutely gorgeous, it's one of the few cars that looks amazing in literally every available color... BUT, what color was it in? :daydream: 

Silver/grey color.  Had carbon fiber around the bottom.  I knew somebody at the show would have posted a video of it on youtube.  Here it is:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Caught this over the weekend and I was underwhelmed.

Ford v Ferrari plays it all so by the book that it takes a rather exciting true story, and reduces it down to another boring sports story. Everyone is exactly who you think they are from the moment you meet them, everything plays out exactly as you'd expect it to (except for the coda, which is a questionable decision). The call backs are precisely what you'd suspect, even when they don't make any sense. While nothing is a surprise, it's all very well done. Damon and Bale are fun to watch, the racing is exciting enough, even if it's largely unrealistic.  It moves along at a fine pace, and it's very pretty; almost too pretty. There are so many shots at golden hour; warm light perfectly framing our plukey heroes, or the concerned wife, or proud son, or the very cool car. 

Speaking of cars, this is a film that is ostensibly about the development of a one of the coolest race cars in history, and while we get hints of the size of the operation, we get very little insight into it. I know it would be too much to hope for "Spotlight, but for developing the GT40," but Ford v Ferrari is to car development as Bohemian Rhapsody is to songwriting. That makes the drama free ride feel all the more disposable. Ultimately, the lasting impression of the film is that it doesn't really have one. It's all smoothed out, buffed to perfection, nary a handhold for excitement.

I liked it overall. They could called the movie “Carol and Ken” if it wasn’t a worse name. lol It May have been too big a story for just a movie if you want to also focus on the relationship between Ken, his family, and Ken and Carol Shelby, in addition to developing the GT40, and then the race vs Ferrari. 

if you already know the story of the GT40, then there are no surprises here. I didn’t expect there would be. But I enjoyed seeing it. The drama was well acted, and the cars looked beautiful. 

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

James Mangold is too good a director for me not to watch the film eventually, but I was much more interested when Michael Mann was going to make this movie some years ago. 

I'm certainly in the minority, and I don't really fault Mangold too much for this one. There's certainly nothing damning about it. It might even be the best possible version of this script.

I just found it to be less than the sum of its parts for some reason I'm having trouble articulating.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I'm certainly in the minority, and I don't really fault Mangold too much for this one. There's certainly nothing damning about it. It might even be the best possible version of this script.

I just found it to be less than the sum of its parts for some reason I'm having trouble articulating.

That makes sense - I think Mann's sensibilities would have lended themselves to the weirder, more car-focused, film you seem to have wanted perhaps (or would have worked better).