Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Larian doesn't plan to release DLC/expansions for BGIII nor develop BGIV

23 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Just wait. Everyone on BG3’s dick E right now will be jumping ship to Starfield once it releases. 

What does "jumping ship" mean? Play the game? I mean, yeah, gamers usually play multiple games.

Will declare Starfield to be better and the GOTY? lol. lmao even.

(Also, FTFY)

• Halal 1

22 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Just wait. Everyone on BG3’s dick right now will be jumping ship to Starfield once it releases. 

I don't think so unless Starfield is truly something special. BG3 does offer incredible amount of content and RPG elements that are vastly superior to Starfield. 

But yea, they will get hyped for it before release and I hope everyone has a great time with it. 

It does suck you don't have an Xbox Series X and if I honestly could afford it I would have bought you one. I really do apologize for getting your hopes up. That was my bad.

After dealing with the goblins (as opposed to helping them, or doing nothing, or massacring everyone)...

Spoiler

Everyone was so happy they decided to come to my place and throw me a party at our camp! It was a great time until I decided I was sick of looking at these fuckin' weird devil people so I started attacking them even though my crew were basically in their underpants. The entire party of Tieflings immediately became hostile and I saw a whole horde of portraits appear in the turn order. While I got a few before we died in our party pants, my favorite moment was learning that in camp, party members who aren't in your active party still count as allies and automatically take turns to help you. So the last thing I see is fucking Astarion sucking someone's blood, getting the "happy" status effect and run into the darkness. God I love this dumb game. I decided not to attack after we died since I think I got exactly what I needed out of that encounter.

• Hype 1

Also, reviews are coming in:

raDLAVpW.jpg
OPENCRITIC.COM

Baldur's Gate 3 is rated 'Mighty' after being reviewed by 27 critics, with an overall average score of 95. It's ranked in the top 0% of games and recommended by 100% of critics.

731084884851e13be0d8e6c91c99d4ff-98.jpg
WWW.METACRITIC.COM

Baldur's Gate 3 for PC game reviews & Metacritic score: An ancient evil has returned to Baldur's Gate, intent on devouring it from the inside out. The fate of Faerun lies in your hands. Alone, you may resist. But tog...

95 on Opencritic, 97 on Metacritic.

• Thanks 1

My early impression, not having much experience in the genre, is that it’s like a mix of Warcraft 2 and Kings Quest 5 put together in a package similar to KOTOR. It might work for me, though the combat is a bit of a sore point (I don’t like tbs style where you can only move a certain amount etc during combat), but it is very obviously something more action only oriented players will just not enjoy.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

My early impression, not having much experience in the genre, is that it’s like a mix of Warcraft 2 and Kings Quest 5 put together in a package similar to KOTOR. It might work for me, though the combat is a bit of a sore point (I don’t like tbs style where you can only move a certain amount etc during combat), but it is very obviously something more action only oriented players will just not enjoy.

KOTOR was made by Bioware not long after they made the original Baldur's Gate games and KOTOR also used DnD rules (the SW version of them). So yes, KOTOR is a very good analogy!

5 hours ago, stepee said:

As you level, melee characters will get extra attacks, rogues can dash with a bonus action, storm sorc let's you fly after you cast a spell, and jumping can let you cover a greater distance than just walking and may be the difference between you attacking and you doing nothing. Also, movement is less of an issue for ranged classes, obviously. While the limited move distance will always be present, there are ways to build a party that can mitigate that annoyance.

• Halal 1

This game is freakin' gold mine for videogame website writers - just look at the volume of articles being churned out :lol:

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

tg-og-img.png
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Baldur's Gate 3 is the long-awaited next chapter in the Dungeons & Dragons-based series of RPGs. Developed by Divinity creator Larian Studios, it puts you in the middle of a mind flayer invasion of Faerûn, over a century after the events of its predecessor.

baldurs-gate-3-review-header.jpg?width=1
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

Discover everything you need to know about Baldur's Gate III.

Question about messing up (read: just didn’t find her right away) an early companion encounter. I can’t seem to get a clear answer on the damn internet. Which I guess is kinda cool. But: 

Spoiler

I didn’t see Lae’zel after the ship crashed. So I encounter her in a tussle with the gith on the bridge. I may be able to kill the gith, but can I resurrect her at that point? Can’t seem to get clarity on it… also not sure if I can even beat the patrol at my current level. 

Would be disappointed to lose a potential companion but at the same time I’m already having a tough time deciding who I want in my party, so maybe it’s for the best…

5 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Question about messing up (read: just didn’t find her right away) an early companion encounter. I can’t seem to get a clear answer on the damn internet. Which I guess is kinda cool. But: 

Hide contents

I didn’t see Lae’zel after the ship crashed. So I encounter her in a tussle with the gith on the bridge. I may be able to kill the gith, but can I resurrect her at that point? Can’t seem to get clarity on it… also not sure if I can even beat the patrol at my current level. 

Would be disappointed to lose a potential companion but at the same time I’m already having a tough time deciding who I want in my party, so maybe it’s for the best…

Let it ride, baby. That's part of the fun of the game. Otherwise come back in a year when I'm sure there will be all kinds of walkthroughs to get the ending/party you want.

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I’m trying to temper my expectations or like realize that maybe the game’s charm won’t last through 100 hours, but I’m just in act 1 and I am getting the feeling that this is one of the best games I have ever and will ever play. 

Dude I don't want to buy this. Stop it!

• Haha 1
  • Hype 1

I'm kinda torn about a couple of things as I go through it. Note: Act 1 spoilers below:

Puzzles:

Spoiler

I love puzzles and BG3 has a lot of them. In some ways they're realistic in the sense that they are built as defenses/secrets that the NPC who created them didn't want them breached. Therefore they are puzzles with little to no clues. Part of me really likes this. For example the Hag's gauntlet of poison clouds and/or mushroom illusions. That said... having to go through like 4-5 of each felt bloated.

On the other side, when I think back to some really great puzzles in games (IMHO) like Uncharted there's are a bit more in terms of hints that make you feel like you're solving a puzzle vs just searching for a random item/button. Example: Arcane Tower in the Underdark. Not much to go by to know to use the anti-magic blossoms to fuel the lift... and then the very hidden poems to talk to the robots. 

Overall, though I am loving the game and don't want to put it down. There are lots of decisions that result in a crazy amount of unpredictability and interesting consequences..

daacfe50d8dbadbd42190e0e545128ae1ef42d29
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Hello, everyone! During the launch weekend, you played a combined 1225 years of Baldur’s Gate 3 – almost as long as it took to make it. And 368 of you managed to finish it within that 3-day weekend. We salute you. We’re about to enter the second weekend of launch, and thanks to you, it’s looking like it might be a big one.

Hello, everyone!

During the launch weekend, you played a combined 1225 years of Baldur’s Gate 3 – almost as long as it took to make it. And 368 of you managed to finish it within that 3-day weekend. We salute you.

We’re about to enter the second weekend of launch, and thanks to you, it’s looking like it might be a big one. Last Thursday, we released Baldur’s Gate 3 in its final form (give or take a few hotfixes), and since, you’ve taken it into the top 10 all-time most concurrent players on Steam, and according to this Tweet, accounted for 28% of all player time on Steam last Sunday.

As we continue to look forward, releasing hotfixes and working toward our first serious patch, we also decided to look backwards this week. We’ve cooked up some statistics highlighting data from the opening weekend following launch and prepared a handy infographic outlining player choices, actions, deaths, and the like. Some inspiration as we head into our second weekend, if you will.

93% of you decided that your first journey through Baldur’s Gate 3 will be with a custom character, which included the Dark Urge. You spent a combined 88 years in Character Creation to craft your Tavs. Perfection!

c8f387f585a709e47bd0930984ad89e26453fbd5

02d741f91bacc8ab8cc55f23f9314b899e827534

0b1087e327ec9846eaef5b2c15b37c4b1242e85e

f74310fd1329a2ceb83682ab186fa2b84456f57b

• Shocked 1
  • Hype 1

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Like it’s making me retroactively mad at other RPGs that they’re like “oh you just want to do the most obvious or fun thing that would take away from how we narrowly thought it should be done? Fuck you you can’t do that.”  

Yep, the best thing this game does is just say YES to anything you want to do.

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
daacfe50d8dbadbd42190e0e545128ae1ef42d29
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Hello, everyone! During the launch weekend, you played a combined 1225 years of Baldur’s Gate 3 – almost as long as it took to make it. And 368 of you managed to finish it within that 3-day weekend. We salute you. We’re about to enter the second weekend of launch, and thanks to you, it’s looking like it might be a big one.

368 people beat it in 3 days!!!! Holy shit. They literally must have not taken more than 1-2 hrs/day break over the 3 days. thats insane. 

• Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I read this totally bonkers "conspiracy theory" on ResetERA that Microsoft "slow walked" its assistance to Larian in getting the game running on the Series S in order to force a delay to the Xbox version so that it wouldn't detract from Starfield's launch :rofl:

That seems highly unlikely but I like it!

I’m just glad Starfield comes out the same day it comes out on ps5 so best doesn’t waste $60