Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Larian doesn't plan to release DLC/expansions for BGIII nor develop BGIV

I've fallen off BG3 with the release of Helldivers 2, but I plan to pick up where I left off in the next couple weeks! I think I paused at the start of Act III with my current build (Dark Urge but good), so still have probably 40% of the game left at my pace, lol.

No expansion :cry:

WWW.IGN.COM

At a Game Developers Conference (GDC) panel today, Larian Studios founder Swen Vincke dropped something of a bombshell by revealing that the developer isn't planning to release any expansions or DLC for Baldur's Gate 3, nor a Baldur's Gate 4.

The "No dlc" part is a little funny, because Larian has effectively been releasing a ton of DLC already. It's just that it's free :p 

WWW.IGN.COM

At a Game Developers Conference (GDC) panel today, Larian Studios founder Swen Vincke dropped something of a bombshell by revealing that the developer isn't planning to release any expansions or DLC for Baldur's Gate 3, nor a Baldur's Gate 4.

Instead, Vincke said at the panel, Larian plans to move away from Dungeons & Dragons entirely and do something new, leaving the IP in publisher Wizards of the Coast's hands.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Larian doesn't plan to release DLC/expansions for BGIII nor develop BGIV
7 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
WWW.IGN.COM

Beat you by a few minutes :p 

Swen is also going off!

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

The director of Baldur's Gate 3, Swen Vincke, was one of many to speak out on the recent mass layoffs within the video …

"Greed has been fucking this whole thing up for so long, since I started," Vincke said, while collecting the GDCA Best Narrative award for Baldur's Gate 3. "I've been fighting publishers my entire life and I keep on seeing the same, same, same mistakes over, and over and over."

"It's always the quarterly profits," he continued, "the only thing that matters are the numbers, and then you fire everybody and then next year you say 'shit I'm out of developers' and then you start hiring people again, and then you do acquisitions, and then you put them in the same loop again, and it's just broken..."

"You don't have to," Vincke went on. "You can make reserves. Just slow down a bit. Slow down on the greed. Be resilient, take care of the people, don't lose the institutional knowledge that's been built up in the people you lose every single time, so you have to go through the same cycle over and over and over. It really pisses me off."

• Hugs 1
  • Hype 1

Larian can just make Hairur's Port. It's a grand fantasy RPG that takes place in a metropolis-city-state, founded by the legendary adventurer, Hairuran, and its surrounding wildlands.

12 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Larian can just make Hairur's Port. It's a grand fantasy RPG that takes place in a metropolis-city-state, founded by the legendary adventurer, Hairuran, and its surrounding wildlands.

They should make a pirate game complete with std’s and a vitamin c meter: if the meter gets low enough, you get scurvy

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

They should make a pirate game complete with std’s and a vitamin c meter: if the meter gets low enough, you get scurvy

No way! Boats suck! And there would only be gay romance options out at sea!

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Sounds like WotC were starting to be dicks so Larian noped-out

Started? :p 

There's a decent chance Larian wants to do something new and may have switched gears anyway, but I think your conclusion that WotC being awful had an influence has reasonable precedence too!

Just now, legend said:

Started? :p 

There's a decent chance Larian wants to do something new and may have switched gears anyway, but I think your conclusion that WotC being awful had an influence has reasonable precedence too!

It's based on the article I posted which says Larian started DLC for BG3, and were talking about a BG4, then suddenly bailed. I know WotC are indeed always dicks, but I'm guessing the games popularity and WotC seeing all these awards decided to make them get a bit more "hand on"

• True 1

This is a bummer mainly because I feel that Wyll and Karlach, Wyll in particular, have threads that are finished but feel slapdash compared to the rest of the origin characters. 

Wyll is a character to whom a lot of things happen and considering his family ties, should have had much more interesting things happen to and around him. Without spoilers here, I covered some of this earlier in the thread. One of his big consequences can simply… be undone? In a way that doesn’t make sense and isn’t particularly acknowledged. I dunno that DLC could fix this, but he feels a bit undercooked. 

Karlach isn’t the same, it’s just that the stuff about her isn’t really all that interesting and her endings have the potential to be just kinda… there. There’s an obvious potential for where DLC for her could go and it’s a shame we won’t get that. 

But good on Larian for securing the bag, realizing that Hasbro blows, and getting the fuck out of dodge. 

• 3 weeks later...

With BG3 "becoming the first game to win all 5 major GOTY awards," I would like to get a head start and call Larian's next game a 7/10, and it's so disappointing they dropped the ball this hard.

After months of being too intimidated to even start, I finally started playing. Only a few hours in I think I'm even more intimidated and lost. Hell, even this thread is too much for me to catch up on. I decided I wouldn't try and optimize everything and instead jump right in without worrying too much about screwing things up, but even with that attitude I can't help but feel the massive weight of this game. Even resting is a complicated decision! I clearly don't want to rest too much because of the ticking clock, but some spells need me to, which makes me more weary of using them, which compounds my other problems. Early leveling has way too many decision points, between choosing a subclass and being given a huge array of spells and skills to choose from, with basically no context for what what might be worth taking. I imagine much of this is more a complaint about D&D than BG3 specifically, but having to chose a subclass at level 2 is bonkers. I've barley even touched the game, haven't even used the majority of my abilities and now I'm making big (potentially irreversible?) decisions about the future. I'm trying not to worry about it too much and just pick things quickly, but it's hard not to think I'm handicapping myself or locking myself into some trap I don't even realize.

That second guessing is getting worse as I go along because I keep running into encounters and getting absolutely beat down. I'm not sure how much of it is poor setup choices, how much is just sucking at combat, and how much is the game telling me to find another way to avoid combat in those situations. I know I have a huge array of non-combat options, but I don't even know where to begin exploring them. I had to turn down the difficulty to easy because I kept getting my party wiped and I'm still firmly in the beginning section.

All that said, I can easily see why people love this game so much. The characters are already varied and interesting. It's great that I'm already making far more difficult and morally grey choices than in any game I've played in recent memory. There is so much freedom here in all the ways that I'm always asking for in games. I suppose I just wish wish I was being eased into this ocean of unlimited complexity instead of being tossed into the deep without knowing how to swim.

• Hugs 1

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

After months of being too intimidated to even start, I finally started playing. Only a few hours in I think I'm even more intimidated and lost. Hell, even this thread is too much for me to catch up on. I decided I wouldn't try and optimize everything and instead jump right in without worrying too much about screwing things up, but even with that attitude I can't help but feel the massive weight of this game. Even resting is a complicated decision! I clearly don't want to rest too much because of the ticking clock, but some spells need me to, which makes me more weary of using them, which compounds my other problems. Early leveling has way too many decision points, between choosing a subclass and being given a huge array of spells and skills to choose from, with basically no context for what what might be worth taking. I imagine much of this is more a complaint about D&D than BG3 specifically, but having to chose a subclass at level 2 is bonkers. I've barley even touched the game, haven't even used the majority of my abilities and now I'm making big (potentially irreversible?) decisions about the future. I'm trying not to worry about it too much and just pick things quickly, but it's hard not to think I'm handicapping myself or locking myself into some trap I don't even realize.

That second guessing is getting worse as I go along because I keep running into encounters and getting absolutely beat down. I'm not sure how much of it is poor setup choices, how much is just sucking at combat, and how much is the game telling me to find another way to avoid combat in those situations. I know I have a huge array of non-combat options, but I don't even know where to begin exploring them. I had to turn down the difficulty to easy because I kept getting my party wiped and I'm still firmly in the beginning section.

All that said, I can easily see why people love this game so much. The characters are already varied and interesting. It's great that I'm already making far more difficult and morally grey choices than in any game I've played in recent memory. There is so much freedom here in all the ways that I'm always asking for in games. I suppose I just wish wish I was being eased into this ocean of unlimited complexity instead of being tossed into the deep without knowing how to swim.

There isn't really a ticking clock game-play wise. There are maybe 3 times in the game where you need to be careful about doing something without sleeping and the game is usually clear about those moments by the characters saying if you spend too much time x will happen. Otherwise, just sleep whenever. Loot everything for camp supplies and send them to your stash.

Also make sure you use your short rests in between sleeping. You get two for every long rest. Depending on the class, short-rests can restore abilities and spell slots.

You can respec your entire class and ability assignments anytime you want once you find Withers. You can even respc party members into wholly different classes if you want to. It technically costs 100 gold to a do a respect but (1) that's not actually that much once you get going and (2) you can steal it back from Wither very easily with no penalty :p 

But yeah, it's a lot. DnD has a fuck ton of rules/abilities/spells and this game gives you them all :p It's better to just play with abilities to learn it as you go. Don't be afraid to save scum a bit to give you a chance to experiment with different skills and abilities to figure out how they work. You can save anywhere in the middle of battle, so you can even save, try an ability you're not sure about, and then reload immediately after seeing what it does.

• Like 1

Game is made simpler if you stick to physical attacks.

Barbarian/Fighter/Thief - Physical Melee

Fighter - Physical Melee

Thief/Bard (dual crossbows) - Physical ranged damage and support

Divination Wizard - Magical ranged damage and support

That was my ultimate party. 3 out of 4 stick to basic attacks for the most part.