The Average American Spends Almost $18,000 a Year on Nonessentials

8 minutes ago, Man of Culture said:

Do you guys not have Optimum in NY? Basic cable internet gets you 25 MB/s download speeds and runs around $45 a month. You'll no longer have the box and dvr fees and can get access/remove access to premium stuff whenever you want at the touch of a button.

Says not available in my area.

12 minutes ago, Man of Culture said:

Ugly ass cars. Tesla or bust.

FTR, even if someone enjoys the look of the Leaf :sick: it's just not a financially practical car. You need a significant amount of upgrade packages to match the quality of the base Model S which puts the cost well over the $34K-$36K average for the Model 3. Nissan also doesn't have a complex, nationwide ev charging setup like Tesla does and let's face it. It's slow as fuck despite the 215 base HP. They're nice cars for people who don't like Tesla, shitty cars for anyone who has half a brain and is interested in an EV.

He’s talking about the TV antenna. 

5 minutes ago, Man of Culture said:

My point still stands! 

Oh lord, just checked the Leaf Antenna (never heard of it) and you only get 41 channels with their more expensive antennas, most of them being trash. I guess if you really like Univision and Telemundo it's a good deal. If you actually want to watch anything worth watching, then :sick:

Free OTA TV, how does it work!?!

2 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

The local NYC providers are either Cablevision, Verizon, or Spectrum. I play about 170 for phone, tv, and internet.

Manhattan is Charter/Spectrum. In the outer boroughs I think there's a mix of Charter, Cablevision, and also Comcast. Maybe even RCN in some pockets?

I don't think anyone just has Verizon, if you have FiOS available you should also have a cable service available. I think RCN is also generally in addition to another cable provider (I know it is in DC).

I'd take Charter over Comcast for the simple fact they have unlimited data.  I'll admit though, Comcast offers a far faster and reliable connection though.  At my apartment my choices are Comcast or some local WiMax provider they really try to push.

2 hours ago, Man of Culture said:

For that you might as well just do Hulu + Live TV. The service is seriously good.

Did Hulu's live TV service improve drastically? I had it for about a month when it came out and it was hot garbage. I canceled it quickly and went to Sling, which was a much smoother stream. I've canceled it for the time being, though.

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Did Hulu's live TV service improve drastically? I had it for about a month when it came out and it was hot garbage. I canceled it quickly and went to Sling, which was a much smoother stream. I've canceled it for the time being, though.

I like it a lot. Not much issue streaming football or hockey. Even Game of thrones worked fine(I gave a minute or two buffer just in case though)

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I like it a lot. Not much issue streaming football or hockey. Even Game of thrones worked fine(I gave a minute or two buffer just in case though)

Huh. I guess they improved it. When I had it, I was legit angry I paid a month for it and called to bitch them out for a refund. It was downright unwatchable. 

I'm trying to cut back some on my subs. I put Sling and Hulu on pause for a few months. I've got so much to watch on Netflix, it's really all I need for now. 

I have spectrum internet which is like $45 and Youtube TV which is $50 now (was $45) but all together cheaper when I had Cox and they were charging me $200 for internet, TV and phone. Supposedly I was getting the phone for free and if you had it bundled you'd save some money but yeah it was still pretty expensive.

So what's the best service for live sports. How does it work? I already have MLBTV which covers all but the 19 Dodger games a year they play the Diamondbacks, since I'm obviously in their market now. So would I get the local Fox RSN that airs AZ local team games (Dbacks/suns/coyotes). Do you get local channels so you can watch Football? You'd be able to say, watch the NBA playoffs on these things right?

4 minutes ago, Dodger said:

So what's the best service for live sports. How does it work? I already have MLBTV which covers all but the 19 Dodger games a year they play the Diamondbacks, since I'm obviously in their market now. So would I get the local Fox RSN that airs AZ local team games (Dbacks/suns/coyotes). Do you get local channels so you can watch Football? You'd be able to say, watch the NBA playoffs on these things right?

I’ve been looking at FuboTV as it’s marketed towards sports fans. For example, they carry the local ATT RSN that the Astros and Rockets play on even though ATT’s own DirecTV Now doesn’t!

42 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Youtube TV and Hulu both have live sports, they basically have all the local channels and TNT and such and you just watch sports on them as you would a normal TV.

https://tv.youtube.com/  <- list of channels

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

I use Hulu live and I get everything I and my wife need for college sports (big ten and mid American conferences) plus hockey. It gets me the big ten network and ESPN so I haven't missed an Ohio State game yet so there's that.

Being an average american sounds like a fucking dope scene.  I also love all that nonessential stuff like personal grooming, music and movies, working out and clean water.  :lol:   Streaming services are definitely a concern though with how many networks are popping up with exclusive content.