LttP: Holy crap Nier Automata feels good!

XxEvil AshxX

I've always been kinda intrigued by Nier Automata. I never played the first Nier, but I'd heard good things about it and was a bit interested in Automata even though I didn't know much about it. The Become As Gods edition is on sale on Xbox One for $30 so I figured what the hell.

If this game would've had a demo, I would've bought it a long time ago. Playing that opening level where the game is switching between being a side-scrolling shooter and an action game felt so good. The controls were tight and responsive, and even though I'd never played the game before, everything just felt familiar. While I did fight the camera a little bit during the boss fight (with the gigantic saw arms taking up the entire screen, I wanted to zoom out cuz it was hard to see where I was) for the most part it wasn't too bad.

I had to quit out after the first save point, but I hope the rest of the game holds up like this, because that first mission was a blast.

There was definitely a demo on PS4. It's a little strange that there wouldn't be one on Xbox, but I guess the game had been out for over a year at that point, so maybe they just didn't think it needed one. 

I need to get back to that game. I really enjoyed it, but only reached the first "ending". 

Hey if you think that's bad, certain higher settings on PC would make it so that hacking minigame basically ran at half speed.  You would never know it just by playing normally because it didn't actually feel slow, but you eventually ran into hacks that were literally impossible with the time you had.  

6 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I've always been kinda intrigued by Nier Automata. I never played the first Nier, but I'd heard good things about it and was a bit interested in Automata even though I didn't know much about it. The Become As Gods edition is on sale on Xbox One for $30 so I figured what the hell.

If this game would've had a demo, I would've bought it a long time ago.

You could have watched someone play a stream or gameplay and would have known it was awesome.

I felt the same for the first ~30 hours. But really just couldn't stay into it. I liked the plot, characters, gameplay, setting, just about all of it. But the combat started to feel so repetitive/bland, even the boss fights were boring. I got to the first ending and looked up the rest of the plot because I couldn't enjoy the gameplay anymore, I tried so hard though! :(

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Rodimus said:

I have been thinking about this game. I have such a huge backlog I havn't l=picked it up yet. I think a new version recently was released. I heard you have to beat it twice to really beat it. Kind of like Ghouls and Ghosts.

The second time you beat it, you do so from a different perspective with different mechanics. It's all linked together too in a way. It's part of what makes the experience so unique.

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

One of the best stories I've ever played. A truly perfect sequel to Nier (a game I played despite the reviews eviscerating it at the time - it was a lovely game as well).

I wish they would release the first one on PC. I would like to play it. The only games I've played on my Playstation the last 5 years are the Persona series.

Btw, related to this game: 

NieR: Automata passes 4 million total worldwide sales

52 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I wish they would release the first one on PC. I would like to play it. The only games I've played on my Playstation the last 5 years are the Persona series.

Btw, related to this game: 

NieR: Automata passes 4 million total worldwide sales

Yeah - I'd totally play a remaster. I don't believe it's even been successfully emulated. Someday . . .