~~ CEB Community Thread ~~

1 minute ago, blueline said:

Hi everyone! So what happened to the site? Everything crashed? I haven't been around in quite some time, and thought I'd come check back in after I got the account creation email.

The data on the site was corrupted, and the backups were corrupted. It was the shittiest of shit shows, but the user list/post count/reputation remained.

It's pretty much going as it did prior to the crash, though, and it might be for the best that everyone's post history vanished. :p 

• 2 weeks later...

I wired in a pair of 3 way switches today in the house addition I’m currently building. When it worked, I felt the most satisfying of handyman boners.

53 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

What was the most surprising news story you read once you were back to the Internets. You made it seem like you were completely unplugged while over there.

I had some access. But overall I didn't really keep up. And I haven't yet read through to see what I missed. Like everything, I just assumed that some things had happened that I just don't care to read about. 

But the answer is easily Bigfoot dick.

A realization hit me today that the place I currently work is the most diverse workplace I've ever been in...and it's for the local Catholic School System (which in Canada is publicly-funded and separate from the Public system, but has the basic same curriculum). Of my 17-member team:

Two are Filipino

One is black

One is Muslim (from Pakistan)

Two are gay (one guy, one girl, with the guy being married with a kid)

And most of the rest are atheist, it seems

We are the IT team and handle all the development, hardware, and networking for the school system. While that breakdown may not seem that diverse if you live in NYC or something, for a small city in Canada that is quite diverse. Probably because it would be impossible to find a strong IT team that is all devout Catholic, lol.

Speaking of which, I bought and used medical marijuana for the first time today. And man, it actually works! My pain is lesser in severity, and even the pain that was there didn’t bother me. I was not prepared for the high, though; it’s been about six years since I last smoked, and 1ish hit from a vape pen straight up zoomed me out. 

59 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Speaking of which, I bought and used medical marijuana for the first time today. And man, it actually works! My pain is lesser in severity, and even the pain that was there didn’t bother me. I was not prepared for the high, though; it’s been about six years since I last smoked, and 1ish hit from a vape pen straight up zoomed me out. 

Can you get CBD oil that has a more even balance between THC and CBD? That way you get less high.

I got a letter in the mail today informing me I have jury duty October through December this year.  In my county we do 3 month stints of jury duty.  I did it a few years ago and ended up sitting on two trials; one for a criminal hit and run, and one for a civil suit with some retired teachers vs the school district.  I actually quite enjoy the civil service aspect of jury duty, and thankfully, my job fully supports me while an employee has to serve.  

So, I started making videos on my Youtube channel (no, not advertising for it, so this is not that kind of thread), and I have to say that practically every obstacle to doing this has jumped right in front of me. My web cam died about five minutes into filming. So, I had to find my other web cam in my closet (the one next to Pence and Ingraham, who are deciding which one comes out of the closet first), set it up and managed exactly one video (my introduction video). Then I went to do my second video last night, and for some reason it just turned stupid and the sound wouldn't sync with the video so that it looked like I had filmed a bad 1970s VCR tape. So, had to buy a new one that I won't get from Amazon until next week.

So, I had a really dumb question for those of you who do vlogs and informational Youtube videos: How do you get people to even notice it? I've discovered Facebook sucks as people are really good at "liking" your announcement but aren't that good at actually watching them. Granted, I'm not trying to get 100,000s of views, but how do people get started and maintain enough to make it feel worth it?