In Honor of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, How Many Souls and Souls Like Games...

skillzdadirecta

Do you own?

How many have you Actually Played?

How Many have you beaten?

I'll go first...

I own Nine: Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1-3, Bloodborne, Nioh, Lords of The Fallen, The Surge and Ashen.

I've actually played seven... haven't touched  Dark Souls 2 or 3 yet. 

I've beaten two: Demon's Souls and Lords of the Fallen :blush: I was closed to beating Dark Souls but then my O.G. PS3 died and I lost my save... 70 freakin' hours :angry: I will eventually beat them all though.

Oh and Bonus points for anyone who can put me up on a Souls-like game that I haven't played or am not aware of.  Any system including P.C.

Beat:

DeS

DaS

DaS2(plat)

BB(plat)

DS3(plat)

Nioh

SnS(plat)(honestly, hardly souls like)

No desire to play the Western Souls-like games, SnS not included. The gameplay and setting/art never look good.

And I have no desire to play another Nioh. Nioh was a good game. But, I can't stand how... well, I don't know how to put it exactly but I have no desire to play a game with Nioh's level/world design/structure or it's gameplay. Nioh's world was pathways and flatness. Don't know how else to put it. But it was annoying, frustrating, boring, tedious, bland, one of those, or all of those, not sure, but I can't say I liked it. It is a shame because I recall it receiving a massive update that was basically loads of free DLC/expansion-esque. The gameplay follows the same list. The gameplay was hard in the alpha, beta, and demo, but it was far easier in the main game due to my time in the demos. The gameplay just had too much going on for me to enjoy it. The active reload stamina, the stances(each with a heavy and light attack), the stance swapping, skill trees, the combos, and other shit that is stuff normally found in action games like GoW, DMC, or Bayo. I very much disliked all of that. The game required more from me than I wanted to give. I was able to beat it with no issues and became just as good of a Nioh player as I am a DS player, but that doesn't mean I liked it. The simple combat of DS is something I much prefer. 

Part of my worries that SDT will advance into something like Nioh as the game progresses. Nioh was most like Dark Souls at the start and became less like DS as the game went on with all of you added abilities. Right now, SDT is not looking like Nioh outside of the Japanese aesthetic. But there are something things I saw that smell of Nioh and I don't like that. The Perfecting Blocking isn't something that will bother me in this regard.  

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

Beat:

DeS

DaS

DaS2(plat)

BB(plat)

DS3(plat)

Nioh

SnS(plat)(honestly, hardly souls like)

No desire to play the Western Souls-like games, SnS not included. The gameplay and setting/art never look good.

And I have no desire to play another Nioh. Nioh was a good game. But, I can't stand how... well, I don't know how to put it exactly but I have no desire to play a game with Nioh's level/world design/structure or it's gameplay. Nioh's world was pathways and flatness. Don't know how else to put it. But it was annoying, frustrating, boring, tedious, bland, one of those, or all of those, not sure, but I can't say I liked it. It is a shame because I recall it receiving a massive update that was basically loads of free DLC/expansion-esque. The gameplay follows the same list. The gameplay was hard in the alpha, beta, and demo, but it was far easier in the main game due to my time in the demos. The gameplay just had too much going on for me to enjoy it. The active reload stamina, the stances(each with a heavy and light attack), the stance swapping, skill trees, the combos, and other shit that is stuff normally found in action games like GoW, DMC, or Bayo. I very much disliked all of that. The game required more from me than I wanted to give. I was able to beat it with no issues and became just as good of a Nioh player as I am a DS player, but that doesn't mean I liked it. The simple combat of DS is something I much prefer. 

Part of my worries that SDT will advance into something like Nioh as the game progresses. Nioh was most like Dark Souls at the start and became less like DS as the game went on with all of you added abilities. Right now, SDT is not looking like Nioh outside of the Japanese aesthetic. But there are something things I saw that smell of Nioh and I don't like that. The Perfecting Blocking isn't something that will bother me in this regard.  

Nioh's first couple of levels and missions were great. Then it basically turned into a completely different game.

9 hours ago, Enlityn said:

Completed:
Bloodborne

Bound By Flame

Lords of The Fallen

I've played varying degrees of DSII, DSIII, Demon Souls, Nioh- I'm close to the end of this bad boy.

I'm waiting on the Surge to come to PS+. 

Does Bound by Flame count? That game doesn't feel like a Souls-like... more like a wannabe Witcher clone. I own it too though.

Bloodborne 

Dark Souls 3

Ashen

Nioh

Ashen is the only the game I’ve beaten. I put a ton of time into DS3 and Bloodborne, but eventually just stopped playing because I was either getting bored of the genre or something else came out. 

I owned Demon Souls for about 2 hours and then gave it to a friend so I don’t know if that really counts.

Demon Souls - My wife picked it up for me, she said the GS employee told her she should buy me COD instead of some no name game that no one ever heard of. 2 completions 

Dark Souls - Loved it and beat it several times

Dark Souls 2 - My least favorite and I ve only made it thru maybe 75% of the game.

Dark Souls 3- My favorite of the series , beat it about a dozen or so times.

Blooborne - Best combat of the souls/borne series but good lord does it run like dog shit,50% completion.

Not sure how many I have, though I think I have almost all the major releases. Have never finished any of them, though I got fairly far Demon Souls and the 1st Dark Souls games. I played a bunch of Bloodborne, though it kicked my ass and really killed my nerves, lol. Seeing this thread the other day made me realize I have Lords of the Fallen from way back via PS+ so I fired it up yesterday or the day before and have been playing it. I have to say I really like that it's more forgiving than any of the other games. Still kicking my ass, but it's much easier to level. As I said, it's still kicking my ass, and while I have put in a decent chunk of time on it and haven't gotten all that far, I feel like I am making progress. Of course I've farmed like crazy to upgrade my character. The minimal platforming it has it horrible, lol. not sure why they bothered it, but there is a glowing shard thingie that I can see and need to jump to but every time I do I fall to my death. I am sure it's nothing important but knowing it's there is driving me crazy. I also hate that so many doors are locked. I keep finding different keys but they don't seem to open anything!

Beat Demon's Souls with liberal use of a guide

Finished Dark Souls 1, 2, and Bloodborne pretty much on my own. I probably looked up some basic stuff about mechanics, don't remember specifics. 

I got fairly close to the end of Dark Souls 3, I think. I put it down in frustration one day (as is tradition with these games) and had every intention for going back to finish it some day. 

I also own Lords of the Fallen, Nioh, The Surge, and Ashen (on Game Pass) but haven't put much time into any of them. 

On 3/9/2019 at 12:38 AM, Xbob42 said:

Nioh's first couple of levels and missions were great. Then it basically turned into a completely different game.

I agree with this completely and ironically its very first level is hands-down the most intricate and well-designed of the entire game. It's literally all downhill after the first in terms of level and encounter design in general. It totally feels like they designed it as a template of sorts and realized they still had an entire game's worth of content to make late in the game. 

I'm definitely looking forward to Nioh 2 as I think the foundation is beyond rock-solid but holy shit do they need to address the shitty encounters and levels. 

Own & Beat:

Demon's Souls

Dark Souls

Dark Souls 3

Bloodborne

The Surge

Own & Gave Up:

Nioh

Own & Physically Threw In Trash:

Dark Souls 2 (PS3 copy)

I actually think The Surge is great and while obviously a Souls rip, does some pretty cool unique stuff with its combat and has great atmosphere. Nioh I gave up on somewhere near the end and while I think it has massive amounts of problems, I did have a ton of fun with it because the combat was so damn strong. 

Have:

DS:PTD - sucked at it and gave up early

DS: Remasted - Stuck with it more and got pretty deep in the game but in the end gave up on this one too as i just got bored with it.

DS2: Made it through a couple bosses and quit again

DS3:  Finally clicked with me and actually beat this one and loved it.

Bloodbourne - Own and got past first boss and then sort of lost interest.  Would like to give it another go again

The Surge - Own it but havent played yet