Avengers: Endgame Trailer and Discussion Thread

Pikachu

Also, though set photos and leaks have been pretty rare for this one, here is speculation and a theory of the general plot of the movie (no specifics) based on trailers and set photos:

Spoiler

First 20-30 minutes of the movie takes place right after IW. Captain Marvel shows up, they get Ronin back (Hawkeye), etc. They find out where Thanos went and mount an attack on him. They fail (even with Captain Marvel). They return to Earth defeated, and Ant-Man shows up. They use his tech and some Tony trickery to travel back in time and space to various periods/places (including the previous Avengers movies) to gather copies of the stones to make their own gauntlet. 

This is where speculation splits: Some think they succeed and then confront Thanos again where the big final fight occurs, with someone (Cap?) making the ultimate sacrifice using the copied gauntlet to kill Thanos and bring everyone back. The other theory is that Thanos chases them through time and fights them in the various times/locations.

The best (and most awesome) theory as to how they travel around in time is by combining Ant-Man's tech with the time stone...because Thanos only got a copy, not the real one. The theory is that Dr. Strange, when looking through time, actually went back and switched places with himself in the past, explaining to his past self what was happening. Then the past version jumped forward and gave his time stone ("no tricks") to Thanos, while the current Dr. Strange stayed in the past, ready to await the Avengers to come back and get it (and him).

17 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

D1nkUypU8AAIZ72?format=jpg&name=large

Jesus Christ, if you would have shown this poster to the internet 10+ years ago...and it's missing half the characters who were already wiped!

When I saw Captain Marvel, they played a Far From Home trailer and I heard a bunch of people talking about how they thought Spider-Man and Fury were dead. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Hey, new trailer...

If they're sticking to the no footage outside of the first act rule, then that means we'll get Captain Marvel in there pretty quickly.

Then again, if the movie is 3 hours long, quick is all relative.

My hype is so fucking high for this one. It's gross, but here I am.

19 minutes ago, legend said:

My hype is so fucking high for this one. It's gross, but here I am.

Best movie ever. I was legit devastated about the ending of Infinity War. Something just felt off the next day. I think it's because we have been with these characters for 10 some odd years. I expect major casualties in Endgame and I dunno what I will do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Best movie ever. I was legit devastated about the ending of Infinity War. Something just felt off the next day. I think it's because we have been with these characters for 10 some odd years. I expect major casualties in Endgame and I dunno what I will do.

Let's assume Clint bites it since he's totally training Kate Bishop in that trailer.

7 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Let's assume Clint bites it since he's totally training Kate Bishop in that trailer.

I think they are building a Young Avengers team, with the kids of some of the people (like the girl from Captain Marvel, etc). Makes sense.

Also I assume that Cap dies in this. I've also seen theories that if time travel is involved, he might end up going back to WWII and stay there, living out the rest of his life with Peggy.

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think they are building a Young Avengers team, with the kids of some of the people (like the girl from Captain Marvel, etc). Makes sense.

Also I assume that Cap dies in this. I've also seen theories that if time travel is involved, he might end up going back to WWII and stay there, living out the rest of his life with Peggy.

Eh, you can't have Monica Rambeau in Young Avengers since she'd be in like her thirties by the time Endgame takes place.

That said, I can totally see Disney creating a Young Avengers series for Disney+ starring kids introduced in the movies.

20 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I watch these movies and I enjoy them, but I rarely get excited for them. Considering I've been on this ride since the beginning, I really should feel something from these trailers, but I kinda don't. 

Exactly this.  I've seen every single Marvel movie.  And outside of Black Panther I haven't been excited for one since Avengers 1.  I felt nothing at the end of Infinity War because I think the snap was so poorly done.  I still see them all, and when it's over I've enjoyed the movie but I have almost no emotional investment at this point.  To me they are the absolute embodiment of shallow, forgettable but super fun popcorn flicks.

Another great theory based on the time gap in the movie (Black Widow's hair being different, etc):

Captain Marvel shows up at the beginning (right after IW). They find Thanos on his planet and fight him. They win, killing Thanos (who maybe doesn't even fight back that much), but find the stones now used and powerless. With the empty victory, they return home, ultimately defeated and hopeless. A few years go by (scenes of Cap in support group meetings, Ronin, etc), and then Ant-Man shows up from the quantum realm and they get the idea to use it for time travel or something, and go back to stop Thanos.

People keep talking misdirection with the trailers, because we see Nebula and Stark walking in their new suits near the end of the trailer. So how does he get back to earth? I’m thinking Captain Marvel finds them on her travel back to earth with Fury’s page being sent out. He did hack into SHIELD in the first Avengers and might of known of her existence, and from that hack is piggybacking on Fury’s singnal out of  desperation/hope

On 3/14/2019 at 1:17 PM, ALIEN-gunner said:

Spiderman Homecoming trailer ruined the ending to Endgame. 

Because it revealed that Peter comes back? I mean...did you think he wasn't coming back? Obviously he was. The same with Black Panther and Doctor Strange, etc. I mean, the movies were already announced!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Because it revealed that Peter comes back? I mean...did you think he wasn't coming back? Obviously he was. The same with Black Panther and Doctor Strange, etc. I mean, the movies were already announced!

Which is why the ending to Infinity War was such shallow garbage. 

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

I disagree. I don't think the narrative worth of an event hinges on whether end results or resolutions are unexpected. It hinges on how well it serves as a vehicle for challenging the characters.

Even with mysteries, I don't care if I accurately predicted it. In fact, a good mystery often leaves enough clues lying around that it makes sense when it's revealed; that if only you were paying attention you would have figured it out.

Along these lines, I think the snap, even knowing before seeing IW that it would be undone, succeeds.

6 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Nah. There was no way Toy Story 3 was going to end with the toys being burned to death in a giant trash pile, but that doesn't mean the entire scene doesn't work because of that logic.

On 3/22/2019 at 9:26 AM, legend said:

I disagree. I don't think the narrative worth of an event hinges on whether end results or resolutions are unexpected. It hinges on how well it serves as a vehicle for challenging the characters.

Even with mysteries, I don't care if I accurately predicted it. In fact, a good mystery often leaves enough clues lying around that it makes sense when it's revealed; that if only you were paying attention you would have figured it out.

Along these lines, I think the snap, even knowing before seeing IW that it would be undone, succeeds.

Bolded for truth. It is why Lost is an amazing show and people miss the point entirely, for that very reason you have given. People get way too hung up on their own suspension of disbelief or the ability of the story to surprise them when it's not about you, it's about the characters within the story and how they react (and how you would) in a given situation. It's shocking how many people don't even know how to consume narrative. 

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

Bolded for truth. It is why Lost is an amazing show and people miss the point entirely, for that very reason you have given. People get way too hung up on their own suspension of disbelief or the ability of the story to surprise them when it's not about you, it's about the characters within the story and how they react (and how you would) in a given situation. It's shocking how many people don't even know how to consume narrative. 

To be fair, when it comes to something like Lost, the show’s own marketing and material quadrupled down on “the mystery” angle. They know that puts asses in seats. IIRC even the Blu-rays leaned into this by doing stuff like displaying questions they thought audiences would be asking as bumpers or something like that. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

To be fair, when it comes to something like Lost, the show’s own marketing and material quadrupled down on “the mystery” angle. They know that puts asses in seats. IIRC even the Blu-rays leaned into this by doing stuff like displaying questions they thought audiences would be asking as bumpers or something like that. 

Yeah but who cares? :p 

Once you watch the episodes/show/film, all that matters is the actual content, not marketing and advertising. On Lost's own merits, the emotional beats and dramatic arcs are really well done, and the story (as nonsensical as it often was) constantly placed the characters in excellent situations for really good drama, etc. And that's what people kept missing to focus on lesser matters. 

50 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Lost does succeed in this regard, and I understand why people love it because of that. However, I feel like the writers also made the mistake of thinking that they needed the universe to be unexpected/unexplainable. It felt like the writers were actively changing things up in reaction to viewers sorting through it.  But if  the audience's predictions about the Lost universe were right, that would have been perfectly fine since them having predicted it wouldn't have mattered.

In what felt like seeking to make things unexpected or bizarre or unanswered just for the sake of it, I think it made Lost worse.

Maybe that's not what happened with Lost, but it sure felt that way to me to its detriment.

In contrast, I think The Leftovers did a better job of making for an odd world, without seeming like they were going out of their way to do so for its own sake.