Game of Thrones - Season 8 - Starting April 14th

TwinIon

9 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Amazing considering the entire Dothraki hoard got wiped out in 5 minutes.

Yeah but you have to add the 5 people of the north who survived to what Daeny's army was before they joined :p 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, johnny said:

Drogon was able to dodge the NK and the scorpions so he’s obviously better than the other dragons. 

Also im not sure if Cersei knows how large Dany’s actual army is at the moment. 

Drogon has that magical ability known as plot armor.

53 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Amazing considering the entire Dothraki hoard got wiped out in 5 minutes.

Except it didn't. Jesus did someone just kind of give you a shitty cliff notes of what happened?  Or are you basing all of this on watching just the "coming next week" portions of each episode.

I mean they said several times that "The remaining Dothraki and Unsullied would ride with Jon and The Northmen" You even saw in the battle last week that after that first charge, a lot of Dothraki retreated along with Jorah. Also, it's always been established that Drogon, because he was never chained under the pyramids, was bigger and stronger than Rhaegal and Viserion because he roamed free and his growth wasn't stunted. Dragons in the GOT universe are not meant to be chained and it is speculated that THAT is what caused them to die off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

One thing that always bugs me in shows (dealing with math and armies) is when they say something like "that army was decimated!" and they mean almost totally destroyed. Decimated means to reduce by 10%...

Ok Stannis. 

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Except it didn't. Jesus did someone just kind of give you a shitty cliff notes of what happened?  Or are you basing all of this on watching just the "coming next week" portions of each episode.

Sorry, I can’t account for lazy writing where everything conveniently works out.

5 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Sorry, I can’t account for lazy writing where everything conveniently works out.

Except its not lazy writing.  They not only showed them surviving but they mentioned it as well.  It's not lazy writing it's lazy watching on your part LOL

7 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

https://www.quora.com/Are-the-Dothraki-all-gone-after-the-Battle-of-Winterfell

Oh but the commander said he still has 50% left so it all makes sense.

Plus they showed a lot of them retreating after the initial charge so......

So they showed a fair number of them surviving, then later had a commander go over the number of losses.  But that's lazy writing that makes things conveniently work out?  What exactly did you want them to do?  Have a head count of the returning warriors and then stop when they got to exactly half?  

I mean the show isn't without faults, criticize away but you doubling down on your critiques that are based solely on simply missing the point in the show where it was addressed is hilarious.

6 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Plus they showed a lot of them retreating after the initial charge so......

So they showed a fair number of them surviving, then later had a commander go over the number of losses.  But that's lazy writing that makes things conveniently work out?  What exactly did you want them to do?  Have a head count of the returning warriors and then stop when they got to exactly half?  

I mean the show isn't without faults, criticize away but you doubling down on your critiques that are based solely on simply missing the point in the show where it was addressed is hilarious.

I saw a handful running back along with Jorah after all the light from the swords was extinguished.  But you know, 10%, 50%, what's the difference right?

"YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND!"

There were what, 100 thousand Dothraki? Even if 80% of them were killed (which may be a conservative estimate) that still leaves 20 thousand. I don't think it's even THAT many... but still a decent amount. There were a LOT of Dothraki... she basically had most if not ALL of the Khalisars from Essos with her.

3 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Lol the desperate plea of "look what else we have! it's all good too, please don't go!"

Yeah they're nervous... they don't have a tentpole show to replace GOT. They wanted Westworld to be that show but I don't think that has worked out.

2 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

I saw a handful running back along with Jorah after all the light from the swords was extinguished.  But you know, 10%, 50%, what's the difference right?

"YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND!"

LOL omg so you did in fact want an actual physical representation of 50% shown retreating/held in reserve?  And that, in your opinion would have been good writing?  LOL holy shit dude.  OMG you're the best. 

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah they're nervous... they don't have a tentpole show to replace GOT. They wanted Westworld to be that show but I don't think that has worked out.

I think they had it after Season 1.  But season 2 I feel like the amount of discussion and social media hype dropped through the floor. 

What was their tentpole before GoT?  Sopranos right?  There was 4 years in between.

1 minute ago, Mercury33 said:

I think they had it after Season 1.  But season 2 I feel like the amount of discussion and social media hype dropped through the floor. 

What was their tentpole before GoT?  Sopranos right?  There was 4 years in between.

Sopranos and then True Blood for a bit... that was a surprise hit for them. 

6 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

LOL omg so you did in fact want an actual physical representation of 50% shown retreating/held in reserve?  And that, in your opinion would have been good writing?  LOL holy shit dude.  OMG you're the best. 

Consistency, don't show one thing and then have something else be the actual result.  But yeah, keep the faith.  All you need to do is believe!

The show can say it's what ever numbers they want. And they can defensibly say so in so far as they can just say we didn't see everything in full perspective.

But I think the point is the way they portrayed the battle to viewers looked fuck tons worse than "we lost 50%." There's a disconnect here that they could have handled better.

I'm not going to be super upset by it, I'm actually enjoying the season quite a bit. But they are telling us something that doesn't match up with how they portrayed things. Take that for what it's worth :shrug: 

3 hours ago, legend said:

The show can say it's what ever numbers they want. And they can defensibly say so in so far as they can just say we didn't see everything in full perspective.

But I think the point is the way they portrayed the battle to viewers looked fuck tons worse than "we lost 50%." There's a disconnect here that they could have handled better.

I'm not going to be super upset by it, I'm actually enjoying the season quite a bit. But they are telling us something that doesn't match up with how they portrayed things. Take that for what it's worth :shrug: 

and THIS i can agree with... the same with the parley scene because while I do believe that the intent was that Danerys and co. were safely out of range of the archers, they way it was shot doesn't necessarily read like that. Also that small force of Unsullied just looked silly demanding surrender. There was probably a better way to to play that scene out, but these guys are clearly sprinting to the finish. It's no secret that the showrunners were exhausted by the show. That being said, NONE of these things has been a dealbreaker for me or has "ruined the show". The show is STILL amazing and still one of the best things on TV to watch.

I find the more unforgivable offenses to be the darkness of the battle of Winterfell episode and the Starbucks cup left in a scene. There's just no excuse for stuff like that on a show of this level.

2 hours ago, 2user1cup said:

Are there different directors per episode? Maybe that's why things don't align. 

There are different directors sure... and while I agree that some of the scenes may not have been handled in ways that convey information to the viewer in a 100% definitive way, the disconnect is no where near what some on this board are making it out to be. It was CLEAR to me that some of the Dothraki survived... you saw them retreating after the charge. Did you see HALF of them coming back? No. But did you really need a head count? 100,000,000 charged... maybe 10 to 20 percent of them came back. :shrug:

I mean the last scenes of the Battle of Winterfell focused on a handful of fighters, mostly principles still fighting. Did some of you guys think they were the ONLY defenders left in the castle because that's all we saw?

There are plenty of criticisms one could levy at the show. But a lot in this thread? Na... reminds me of Raven speed debates folks used to have a couple of seasons ago. It's also interesting to me that Sansa is now accepted when folks were critiquing the HELL out of her "outmaneuvering" Littlefinger.

• Like 1