Holy Shit. The Golden Globes are painful to watch.

Derek

This year was especially bad. Not funny. Shitty winners. Bad speeches (mostly). People ignoring the music to get in their PSA about racism. Green Book and BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY winning best picture for the category the other should have been in lmao. A complete mess honestly. Besides Carol Burnett and Jeff Bridges, it very much felt like they didn’t take any time to appreciate the art of TV and movies. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, johnny said:

This year was especially bad. Not funny. Shitty winners. Bad speeches (mostly). People ignoring the music to get in their PSA about racism. Green Book and BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY winning best picture for the category the other should have been in lmao. A complete mess honestly. Besides Carol Burnett and Jeff Bridges, it very much felt like they didn’t take any time to appreciate the art of TV and movies. 

Christian Bale's speech was great. Never has a man thanked Satan to help him act a role, in this case Cheney.

• Haha 1

Yeah i was sitting thinking that I didn’t remember it being so bad. Usually I enjoy the Globes a bit more because it’s more laid back and the host usually has more jokes. But it was absolutely painful to watch. The categories are just downright confusing at this point. Nothing makes sense, everything feels rushed through. And they managed to make it feel like even more of a “look how awesome we are” Event than the Oscars which is impressive. 

I can't believe that Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book won. I suppose Green Book at least feels like a Globe Winner, but A Star Is Born is right freaking there. Not that it would have been my personal pick (I'd go The Favourite and BlackkKlansman, haven't seen Beale Street), but A Star Is Born feel like the music movie with the star power that is actually deserving.

Also a bit funny that they gave Alfonso Cuarón best director when his film was deemed ineligible for Best Pic.

I do like that they gave Spider-Verse best animated feature.

I remain unconvinced that the HFPA actually watch all the movies.

9 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Christian Bale's speech was great. Never has a man thanked Satan to help him act a role, in this case Cheney.

Is it a bit odd that we have a thread discussing if that movie was the worst movie of the year, and Bale gets a best actor award for being in it?

I haven't seen it, and maybe he gives the best performance of the year in a terrible movie... but it feels like the award was given as a political FU.

After developing a healthy callous of cynicism toward awards I find it easier to enjoy the awards shows. BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY won despite being a weak film. Oh well. I support anyone with a vested interest getting upset but for me .. meh. There were a mix of deserving, political, and curveball awards; same as every other award show in history.

I did find it alternately hilarious and annoying how the playoff music got rolled but other than that it was a relatively banal show despite a hard line on BLACK PANTHER from Samberg that unfortunately was overrun with laughter. 

Glad to see they looped Jim Carrey into a skit, he was really in his element. I wanted Winkler to win though, hard working guy. I loved the Happy Days tribute they did for him (during the preshow).