~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

So I got myself a Criterion Channel subscription in December and have just gone nuts:

Ride the High Country 3.5/5

McCabe & Mrs. Miller 4.5/5

The Far Country 4/5

8 1/2 5/5 (This is now definitely one of my top 5 movies of all time I think)

A Colt Is My Passport 4/5

Forty Guns 3.5/5

Black Narcissus 4.5/5

The Rules of the Game 4/5

The Secret of Convict Lake 3.5/5

The Leopard 5/5 Alain Delon is the most handsome man who has ever lived.

His Girl Friday 3.5/5

Red River 3.5/5

The Long Goodbye 4.5/5

Ride in the Whirlwind 3/5

The Naked Kiss 3.5/5

Breathless 5/5

Mona Lisa 4.5/5

The Great Silence 4/5

• Thanks 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

Physical 100 - netflix

Squid Games meets American Gladiators. Episodes were a bit longer than necessary and anytime something cool happens they have to show a reply of it from 5 different angles which gets annoying. Overall I was entertained mostly from the variety of athletes that were going against each other, not often you will see world's strongest man type vs a dancer or a gymnast vs a MMA fighter.

7.5/10

3 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I would like to ask a favor of those who post impressions and reviews of movies and shows here, could you please provide which streaming service that you watched them on so that I know where to find them. Thanks.

This is a good post. I'd like this to become the norm, too. 

29 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I would like to ask a favor of those who post impressions and reviews of movies and shows here, could you please provide which streaming service that you watched them on so that I know where to find them. Thanks.

I usually watch on disc. Generally the shows I watch are on a service and will name drop it if I really want you to see it. :p

I'm not actually sure this is the last one I watched per se but it's definitely the last one I saw in a cinema:

Medieval (2022)

This film is loosely based on the early life of the undefeated Czech general and national hero Jan Žižka. As the leader of a small band of mercenaries he is tasked with a mission that will impact the whole kingdom and throw him in the midst of a great power struggle.

The film has some exceptional fight sequences and decent cinematography and such overall but it lacks a certain ... je ne sais quoi. The story is also engaging enough at first but meanders a bit towards the latter part. Overall, it's worth a watch, 3/5, I guess. I'd definitely be interested in a sequel by the same team about his later years, however. Alas, since it seems that the movie fucking bombed both critically and financially, this might not ever come about.

spacer.png

DVD - (Also Streaming on Hulu)

The Evil Next Door: 5/10

Stop if you've heard this one before. A movie based on a true story of a family that move into a house that has had a troubled past and creepy stuff starts happening. So yeah, that is this movie except in Sweden. Basically there's something in the house that wants to take the kid and the mother isn't the real mother because the father remarried (or got a girlfriend? Seems kind of unclear). It's a lot of setup for a jump scare and then not particularly scary when it's supposed to be. I wonder what part of this is supposed to be part of the true story because the ending felt more like a metaphor than an actual conclusion. Overall pretty by the numbers and nothing too exciting really.

Project Wolf Hunting

One batshit crazy movie. I am not saying it is high art but I guarantee you will not be bored

I have never seen a movie switch gears so hard

it starts as Die Hard prisoner transport on a ship, then it turns into Predator and then it transforms once again into a resident evil movie

7/10

I just watched Enchanted and Disenchanted back to back. Enchanted is a favorite of mine, I’ve seen it quite a few times over the years. It’s charming, cute, fun and humorous. I haven’t seen it in a while, so I watched it again since I wanted a fresh reminder of the story and characters before watching Disenchanted which I haven’t seen.

Disenchanted is an unnecessary sequel that isn’t very good. It’s obvious while watching it that the budget wasn’t as big as it was for the first movie, it’s a made for Disney+ movie instead of a theatrical one after all. So it kind of has a made for TV feel to it.

The first movie was a pseudo musical, almost like a parody of them. The occasional times that the actors (primarily Amy Adams) broke out in song and dance the songs were catchy and fun, and the dance sequences were entertaining. Disenchanted attempts to replicate this, but seems like it has even more song and dance moments most of which are uninteresting. The only one that I found mildly entertaining was the one with Amy Adams and Maya Rudolph. Amy Adams is the best thing about the movie, she delivers despite the story and writing not being very good.

The movie does pick up a bit closer to the end, but it’s kind of too little too late at that point. It’s not a bad movie as it does offer some fun and humor at times, but it’s not a good one either. It’s average and also unnecessary since Enchanted didn’t need a sequel.

Around 5 years ago I saw a screening of this film: 

MV5BZDQxM2UwOGMtNWVlYS00YjU0LWFiNjktZDY5
WWW.IMDB.COM

3 Feet Ball & Souls: Directed by Yoshio Kato. With Honoka Murakami, Minehiro Kinomoto, Shinobu Tsuji, Kanji Tsuda. An online suicide club members decide to end their lives together. However, every time they try, they find themselves back in time when they meet up. Directed by a second time feature director Yoshio Kato, winning Audience Awards at SKIP CITY International D-Cinema Festival and Tanabe Benkei...

and I have wanted to re-watch it ever since. It's a Ground Hogday-like in which a group of people get stuck in a time loop that is triggered by one of them setting off a bomb. It is really well structured and often pretty funny, despite ostensibly being about suicide. At some point it finally got put up on Amazon's Japanese streaming site, but still isn't available in the US.

Buuuuutttttttt, this week it got uploaded on the high seas. I'm excited to see it again.

spacer.png

DVD

The Sentinel: 7/10

The film opens with the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan and already it might be the best movie ever made. But turns out the film is about a secret service agent (not real) that was shot while saving his life. Now he's an agent for another President (played by David Rasche) but also having an affair with the First Lady. It turns out that this was a bad idea for a variety of reasons but other than the obvious one, there is a mole in the secret service plotting to assassinate the president and his affair muddies up the water of the investigation a bit.

Coming out in 2006 this is one those political thrillers you don't see much of anymore. It's kind of fun to see Michael Douglas be one step ahead of the secret service while attempting to figure out who's behind the plot. Kiefer Sutherland is in fine form here channeling his inner Jack Bauer and Longoria isn't bad either. The rest of the movie is fairly standard but if you've got nostalgia for that '90s cheese you don't see much anymore this film should satisfy.

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2023 at 1:11 PM, TheLeon said:

JustWatch.com is a (usually) accurate service that helps you find where to watch stuff. Especially with how often things can disappear from one service and appear on another, I find that it’s pretty essential these days. 

thanks..

I just ran into this trying to just watch Blues Brothers… I saw it listed so many times over the years… finally had an urge to watch and lo and behold nowhere to be found… had to go pull out the DVD, Dukes of Hazzard same thing

spacer.png

(Blu-Ray)

Thief: 8/10

There was some discussion about this movie a while back and I had not seen it. It's quite striking from the opening minutes. Something very sexual about the detail paid to the safecracking in this and the cinematography is stunning for a good chunk of the beginning. I feel like the beautiful shots kind of took a backseat as the story started to ramp up. The Tangerine Dream soundtrack was so fitting for this soundtrack it makes me want to go back to watch Legend with the old soundtrack. The story I feel like is still unique somewhat, it's a story that's been done before (well having seeing this in 2023 anyway) but still unique in that Frank is very much a straightforward lone wolf type dude, he's got a simple dream, do a job, have a kid, get married, and he's out, unfortunately the world doesn't work like that and will always want to screw you over. A pretty impressive effort for Michael Mann's first film.

• Halal 1

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS 3D 3/5

I’m going out of order but I’m going to slowly catch up on my Marvel films, and view all for the first time in 3D. Only Japan carry the 3D version on disc(which includes the 4K disc as well) and I finally had the money to get them. Was it worth the wait to see it in 3D? Hell yeah it was, with some great depth, and some cool pop outs. The movie was all over the place for the first half story wise, but 2nd half ramped up on the story and visuals. Although for a multiverse of madness, they didn’t travel to many of them and only merely passed through. Now for spoilers thoughts 

Spoiler

Loved the opening monster fight when America wonders into our Dr’s world. That opening was a cool multiverse take on Oc’s and Spidey’s first fight with Aunt May in Spider-Man 2. The location is the exact same, with some scenes film shot for shot that I thought was cool touch. They even call the creature, not and alien but just an Octopus. The 3D for the music battle was ever so cool and maybe my favourite scene of the movie. Although the death of the Illuminati was pretty brutal but very cool. The Black Bolt death and Prof X ones being my Oh Shit! like moment. Plus Zombie Strange reminded me of Liam Neeson’s performance from Raimi’s Darkman. Plus I you gotta love Bruce, and loved his credit stinger. 

As for the disc, like most recent Marvel releases on disc. They neutered the bass and overall sound volume and must crank my receiver volume pretty high (myself thanks to Golden Tiger) to get a decent presentation. Like I said, the 3D is pretty damn stellar but mostly in the sense of separation and extreme depth. There are a few scenes with some cool to stellar pop outs that really made this worth the high price. Now to work on the rest of them, but gonna search out some proper English subs for some. The only downside of the Japanese imports is that they don’t just sub for other foreign languages other than English like we can. Thankfully my Oppo 203 allows me to download them to play for some imports, which means I can finally watch my Stephen Chow’s Mermaid 3D import. No English anything on that disc

Puss in Boots: Last Wish 9/10… Daughter went and saw it on her date  (Kill me Now), and insisted we watch it as a family… It really is well made.. the stylized art style looks great… all the character designs and voice acting is top notch (goldilocks, Wagner Mouras Wolf, etc).. Its amazing ghat Antonio Banderas stint as Zorro still pays off in a movie nobody really asked for but is quite entertaining..

next up Bad Guys

• Halal 1

Holding out hope that RSM gets the rights to release Last Wish on 3D disc. Heard that it was pretty stellar for the movie and all its stylized animation. They just got the rights for Bad Guys, Rise of Gru and Sing 2 in a limited 3D disc release run. Pre-ordered all 3 but aren’t being released until May 10th in Australia 

spacer.png

(Netflix)

The Uncanny Counter (경이로운 소문): 8/10

So Mun was 11 years old when he and his parents got into a car accident. His parents passed away but he survived. Seven years later he's still dealing with the grief and also guilt but what he doesn't know is that it wasn't a mere accident, it was a murder. He then crosses paths with some people known as counters which are almost like super heroes. They are people possessed by good spirits that are given super powers to battle and capture evil spirits, that possess bad people. So the show is almost like Ghostbusters meet The Avengers. On top of that is the murder mystery of So Mun's parents which takes us down a long line of corruption from the police to the politicians. The only honest people in this world are the noodle makers. It's a fairly compelling show packed with funny and somber moments, pretty good action. I thought the Yun sections were a bit hokey but overall it was highly enjoyable. Bonus points for @thewhyteboar as it has Yeom Hye-ran in it (from When the Camilla Blooms) but instead of a lawyer she's a demon butt kicker. :o  Sejeong is pretty nice too :]

spacer.png

(DVD)

The Bonfire of the Vanities: 7/10

The Bonfire of the Vanities is a Brian De Palma joint based on a Tom Wolfe book of the same name. This movie was seemingly critically panned from people who had read the book but as someone who had not read the book ignorance is bliss I suppose. The film begins with one of those perversely long shots, following a journalist, Peter Fallow (Bruce Willis), as he accepts an award for his book. He made a name for himself by writing about a Wall Street trader, Sherman McCoy (Tom Hanks), that found himself in the wrong side of town (the Bronx), and was involved in a hit and run that left a guy in a Coma. Since it happened in the Bronx and is an election year, the mayor needs a "white whale" to help his reelection chances and McCoy happens to be that White Whale as he becomes a sacrifice for a minister, DA and Mayor. I believe it is supposed to be semi-satirical, kind of like an American Psycho kind of deal but maybe not that extreme. If anything it is more of a fantasy. Imagine a Park Avenue wall street trader actually being held accountable for the harm of a black man. If anything it seems to rely a lot on stereotypes (and maybe The Bronx was a place WASPs feared to go in the '90s) so it feels a bit rough in that regard. I will say though that Morgan Freeman kind of steals the show here as the judge, everyone else is kind of a piece of trash one way or the other.

• Thanks 1

Kubo And The Two Strings - Blu ray 4k

A blind buy for me that was a fantastic surprise. The writing is a bit behind your typical Disney/Pixar flick but the stop motion animation is leagues better than anything they have put out. The story is about a young boy named Kubo who goes on a quest to get his fathers sword and armor so he can defeat the moon god. Along the way he meets Monkey( VA by Charlize Theron) and Beetle ( VA Matthew McConaughey ) who help him. Kubo isnt powerless though with the aid of his shamisen (guitar) he is able to give life to paper essentially bringing Origami to life. Theron and McConaughey VA could have been an absolute disaster but instead they knock it out of the park. While I didnt think it stuck the landing it was still a damn good film.

Rogue One - Disney+

A rewatch but one that was long overdue. Of all the prequels and sequels this feels like the cream of the crop and the most adult to boot. I had really wished that Disney would expand out more and deal with more fringe characters in their films.

The Andromeda Strain - Blu Ray

1970 Sci Fi about a small town that get wiped out over night by a meteorite. Its a very procedural film that puts the focus on a group of scientist trying to discover what happened. Obviously its dated in many ways and it lacks a action hero type adventure and some might be turned off by that.

It falls into the category of "Saturday Afternoon Flick".

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

Watched Puss In Boots: The Last Wish and it’s really punching above its’ weight class. Yeah, even more than the Shrek films, this is aimed more at kids, but my lord the filmmaking goes hard. It’s more than just the slightly cell shaded art style, or the animation, and it’s more than just some tricks with the frame rate, this film is a gem. They do an incredible job with the action choreography and the voice cast, and there are some fun jokes in there. It’s an impressive piece of work that plenty of movies not aimed at children could learn from.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

spacer.png

Interspecies Reviewers: 8/10

Here it is, the anime that was too hot for Funimation (Sony) and possibly an anime that has the perception of being more extreme than what it actually is. I can't believe it is 2023 and we're still having the "sex is bad but watching people get their heads blown off is fine" conversation, but here we are.

The show follows a group of well bodied adventurers who just want to get it on a the end of the day. A human, Stunk, and his elf friend, Zel, find an intersex angel (this seems accurate) in the forest named Crim who's got a broken halo so he can't return to heaven. Most of the time they hang out at a bar all day until it's time to go visit the local brothels around town and visit the sex workers around town known as "succu-girls" because they are all various monster species. And so they have sex at the place and rate their experience. This is not a hentai, in fact you never see any penetration, but you'll see a lot of boobs and innuendo. I was skeptical at first because judging by the cover art I thought the animation might be crummy. But I was pleasantly surprised, this show is actually well animated and better than some mainstream anime in some cases.

I appreciate how straightforward the show is. It tells you early on this is what we are going to do and they do it. You don't get dragged down with ambiguity a lot of other anime have about intimacy. These are all consenting adults who are just going to have some really dirty monster sex. What the show really has going for it is that it's well written and funny. It also puts the perspective of others in an interesting light. For instance one of the early gags is Stunk thinks this elf girl is hot but since Zel is an elf he thinks she is gross because she's like 300 years old. She looks young to a human but old to an elf. But on the flip side there is a 50 year old human woman, Mitsue, (and boy their take on what a 50 year old woman looks like is a bit silly :p ) and Stunk is not attracted to her but Zel is because to him she is young. I feel like the show maybe runs out of steam in the later episodes for one reason or another but overall I had a good time.

• Thanks 1
  • Sicko 1

spacer.png

(blu-ray) [Also streaming on Mubi]

Decision to Leave: 8/10

Decision to Leave is the latest banger from Park Chan-wook. It's a love story of sorts but not quite, about a detective who takes a lot of pride in his work. A possible suicide turns into a murder investigation and the victim's wife is investigated as a possible murder suspect. The wife has some quirks of her own and the detective grows fond of her himself. Then from there in typical Park Chan-wook things get a little twisted. If you're accustomed to his previous films you might expect some craziness here but it is a bit toned down in that respect. However, the film is presented in such a way that you're always wanting to see what's next. The cinematography is engaging. It has a weird style where a flashback kind of happens with the characters in the same room, or they will zoom to a video of a person and then the scene just switches to that scene. I dunno hard to explain, easier to see. With this director's pedigree you'll most likely want to see this movie anyway.

• Halal 1

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

(blu-ray) [Also streaming on Mubi]

Decision to Leave: 8/10

Decision to Leave is the latest banger from Park Chan-wook. It's a love story of sorts but not quite, about a detective who takes a lot of pride in his work. A possible suicide turns into a murder investigation and the victim's wife is investigated as a possible murder suspect. The wife has some quirks of her own and the detective grows fond of her himself. Then from there in typical Park Chan-wook things get a little twisted. If you're accustomed to his previous films you might expect some craziness here but it is a bit toned down in that respect. However, the film is presented in such a way that you're always wanting to see what's next. The cinematography is engaging. It has a weird style where a flashback kind of happens with the characters in the same room, or they will zoom to a video of a person and then the scene just switches to that scene. I dunno hard to explain, easier to see. With this director's pedigree you'll most likely want to see this movie anyway.

I also really liked this film - as usual Chan-wook Park nails it with the ending.

• Hugs 1

Marcel the shell with shoes on - This was super adorable and also quietly poignant at times. I saw Everything Everywhere last night and I think Showtime recommended it based off Jenny Slate being in that (I adore her) but this was a lot better.

• Halal 1

22 minutes ago, stepee said:

Marcel the shell with shoes on - This was super adorable and also quietly poignant at times. I saw Everything Everywhere last night and I think Showtime recommended it based off Jenny Slate being in that (I adore her) but this was a lot better.

I do wanna see this, as it gives me Paddington vibes. Thankfully both your mentioned movies are free to stream on Prime right now. 

On 2/23/2023 at 10:36 PM, thewhyteboar said:

So I got myself a Criterion Channel subscription in December and have just gone nuts:

Ride the High Country 3.5/5

McCabe & Mrs. Miller 4.5/5

The Far Country 4/5

8 1/2 5/5 (This is now definitely one of my top 5 movies of all time I think)

A Colt Is My Passport 4/5

Forty Guns 3.5/5

Black Narcissus 4.5/5

The Rules of the Game 4/5

The Secret of Convict Lake 3.5/5

The Leopard 5/5 Alain Delon is the most handsome man who has ever lived.

His Girl Friday 3.5/5

Red River 3.5/5

The Long Goodbye 4.5/5

Ride in the Whirlwind 3/5

The Naked Kiss 3.5/5

Breathless 5/5

Mona Lisa 4.5/5

The Great Silence 4/5

Time for another update:

The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4/5

Jeanne Dielman 4/5

The Flowers of St. Francis 4.5/5 This ruled. I really dug it. I must be secretly Catholic.

Caliber 9 4.5/5 The first of an Italian crime trilogy, and the best by far. No characters carry over, but I liked how the actor who played the villain in the first one, became the hero in the second. And the actor playing the villain in the second became the protagonist of the third.

The Italian Connection 3.5/5

The Boss 3.5/5

The Naked City 4/5 Loved how the narrator pronounced words just like Bugs Bunny--moider.

There's Always Tomorrow 3.5/5 Oof the gender politics of this.

3 Women 4/5 Still not sure what I watched.