Cowboy Bebop (Netflix, November 19), update: aaaaaaaand it's been cancelled

Ghost_MH

I think that Keanu and Cho both have certain qualities I associate with Spike. I can see Cho's playing Spike's swagger well, while Keanu is maybe a better fit for Spike's aloofness. The only asian actor that immediately comes to my mind that might be better is Steven Yeun, but I'm happy with Cho.

Then again, if they're going to successfully translate this show to live action, they can't do it one to one. They're going to have to adapt it, and that means choosing a style and finding an actor that best fits into that style. Maybe their adaptation better suits Cho's strengths.

8 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I think that Keanu and Cho both have certain qualities I associate with Spike. I can see Cho's playing Spike's swagger well, while Keanu is maybe a better fit for Spike's aloofness. The only asian actor that immediately comes to my mind that might be better is Steven Yeun, but I'm happy with Cho.

Then again, if they're going to successfully translate this show to live action, they can't do it one to one. They're going to have to adapt it, and that means choosing a style and finding an actor that best fits into that style. Maybe their adaptation better suits Cho's strengths.

I agree with this. I think the adaptation won't ultimately work out but I'm trying to have a very open mind.

• 1 year later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Netflix's live-action Cowboy Bebop series to debut this autumn
  • 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Looks like cosplay plus safe for work Faye.

We kinda said the same thing when they released stills for Ghost in the Shell’s Batou. I think the look worked great while in action, but almost laughable looking with the prom stills they let out ahead of time. So I reserve my judgement for now, but think they look ok as of now.

• 1 month later...

1. I still have no idea how well this show is going to translate overall to live-action, but it sure seems like they're going all-out on trying to recreate the aesthetics of the anime as much as possible. if it's bad, it's not gonna be because they didn't care about the source material.

2. It looks like they're doing an episode with Maria Murdoch, the Eco-terrorist with a bunch of oafish henchmen who both looks and sounds like Mom from Futurama. Which is delightful.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Cowboy Bebop (Netflix) - Opening Credits sequence

I wonder how many episodes they're planning to adapt. No Ed, so I'm wondering if they plan to keep things to just the first third of series, before she's introduced.

Looks like this first season is 10 episodes. It's conceivable to run the season for 10 episodes without Ed. That would be easy enough.

3 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I wonder how many episodes they're planning to adapt. No Ed, so I'm wondering if they plan to keep things to just the first third of series, before she's introduced.

Looks like this first season is 10 episodes. It's conceivable to run the season for 10 episodes without Ed. That would be easy enough.

From what I understand there was an interview with the creator in which he stated there is no ending as long as they have stories they keep wanting to tell or something like that. It could be like other anime adaptations where they pick certain parts of an anime as a homage almost and then the rest is just their take on the anime. (See KITE, Alita or GITS)

19 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

From what I understand there was an interview with the creator in which he stated there is no ending as long as they have stories they keep wanting to tell or something like that. It could be like other anime adaptations where they pick certain parts of an anime as a homage almost and then the rest is just their take on the anime. (See KITE, Alita or GITS)

I'm more concerned with Netflix cancelling the series than the people involved not having stories to tell. There's the 26 episode series, the movie, the manga, and whatever original stories they want to tell.

Also, after I posted that I did read an interview with the folks in charge and it looks like Ed will be in the first season. They haven't announced who'll be playing her, and the season drops in less than two months. At this point, I have to imagine she'll be a season 2 teaser. As in, she'll be there, but not until the last episode of the season.

First off: that intro was awesome, very much embodied the space jazz vibe of the original anime show and its opening sequence calling back to noir/outlaw Americana. It also looks like they are adapting many of the episodes of the show, including on quick glance the first episode, Ballad of Fallen Angels (episode 5), the shrooms episode, the eco-terrorists one, Pierrot le Fou, and the teddy bomber episode (one of my favorites).

I'm still super skeptical but hoping for the best. This interview I think everyone keeps referencing helped allay some of my fears at least:

jbareham_210906_ecl1072_cowboy_beebop_00
WWW.POLYGON.COM

André Nemec previews the characters, direction, and music for his anime adaptation

3 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Cowboy Bebop has been on my to-watch pile for so long. At this point, I might as well wait and watch this version first. I like doing things the wrong way sometimes. :p

If you're going to watch this before the anime, but want some similar flavor that won't be covered ground, watch Samurai Champloo (from the same director as Bebop), which IMO is better than Bebop and was the birth of Lofi hiphop.

1 hour ago, legend said:

If you're going to watch this before the anime, but want some similar flavor that won't be covered ground, watch Samurai Champloo (from the same director as Bebop), which IMO is better than Bebop and was the birth of Lofi hiphop.

It wasnt the BIRTH of lofi hiphop but Nujabes (who did the soundtrack) was definitely a very niche producer before it, and he was pretty much the godfather of lofi hiphop. And the Samurai Champloo soundtrack was probably his best work. Dan the Automator and Domino both dabbled in the lofi sound before Nujabes, but it wasn't like their defining sound the way it was for Nujabes. Sorry, I didn't mean to "well ACTUALLY" you, and it kind of turned out that way, my bad.

So good.

Anyway, all that aside, I agree that Samurai Champloo is arguably better than Cowboy Bebop. And given the setting of Samurai Champloo, I can't ever see a live action version being done outside of a Japanese language production.

Both series, while vastly different in terms of character, setting, color, animation style, and pretty much everything else, carry a very similar tone. Sort of ultimately melancholy and imperfect, while celebrating individual moments of life. Is there always a happy ending? No. Sometimes there is, sometimes there isn't. they're like a slice-of-life drama, just... a lot more violent.

@TheLeon definitely check out Samurai Champloo if you want something similar to Cowboy Bebop and don't want to spoil it.

34 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

Hmm, general opinion is that Bebop is better than Champloo...it's good to see the people here know better than that! As for this I'm going to watch the entire season good or bad because of Daniella Pineda <3

I mean, they're both great. It's like arguing whether Saving Private Ryan is better than The Pianist. Like, sure, we can nitpick it, just fucking watch both of them.

8 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

It wasnt the BIRTH of lofi hiphop but Nujabes (who did the soundtrack) was definitely a very niche producer before it, and he was pretty much the godfather of lofi hiphop. And the Samurai Champloo soundtrack was probably his best work. Dan the Automator and Domino both dabbled in the lofi sound before Nujabes, but it wasn't like their defining sound the way it was for Nujabes. Sorry, I didn't mean to "well ACTUALLY" you, and it kind of turned out that way, my bad.

So good.

Anyway, all that aside, I agree that Samurai Champloo is arguably better than Cowboy Bebop. And given the setting of Samurai Champloo, I can't ever see a live action version being done outside of a Japanese language production.

Both series, while vastly different in terms of character, setting, color, animation style, and pretty much everything else, carry a very similar tone. Sort of ultimately melancholy and imperfect, while celebrating individual moments of life. Is there always a happy ending? No. Sometimes there is, sometimes there isn't. they're like a slice-of-life drama, just... a lot more violent.

@TheLeon definitely check out Samurai Champloo if you want something similar to Cowboy Bebop and don't want to spoil it.

Haha no worries, that's fair. I probably should have phrased my comment a bit differently to being what popularized the genre. At least I know a lot of current lofi artists credit Champloo as their motivation and when the area took off.

10 hours ago, legend said:

They're REALLY close but Bebop edges out Champloo for me, but it's largely just a matter of taste. Both are phenomenal.