Cowboy Bebop (Netflix, November 19), update: aaaaaaaand it's been cancelled

Ghost_MH

I ended up binging the whole season. It's easily my favorite show of this year. I haven't seen the anime in probably a decade, so it's not fresh in my mind (and I kept it that way on purpose), but the show does capture the general tone of the anime. Beautiful, stylish, and melancholic.

I definitely recommend a watch.

5 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I ended up binging the whole season. It's easily my favorite show of this year. I haven't seen the anime in probably a decade, so it's not fresh in my mind (and I kept it that way on purpose), but the show does capture the general tone of the anime. Beautiful, stylish, and melancholic.

I definitely recommend a watch.

I liked it too.

From what I recall this is a lot farther along into the Spike/Vicious/Julia plotline than in the anime, right? It pretty much got through that whole arc IIRC? So I know the showrunners were talking about wanting to expand past the stories in the anime and I guess they're going to be doing that sooner rather than later.

On 11/22/2021 at 4:43 AM, elbobo said:

Ed was a very "cartoony" character in the anime and trying to do that in real life is just... well just watch that clip. The actress and wardrobe and everything are dead on and it is the most cringe inducing thing I've seen in a long time.

I feel like any attempt to tone down Ed so as to not be cringe-inducing would have shot directly over the line into having people complaining they messed up Ed. Maybe they should have just kept Ed as just an off-screen character the crew interacts with?

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

I feel like any attempt to tone down Ed so as to not be cringe-inducing would have shot directly over the line into having people complaining they messed up Ed. Maybe they should have just kept Ed as just an off-screen character the crew interacts with?

Ed is only in one scene. I'm sure they might treat/write Ed differently for the next season, assuming there is one

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I guess changing the character into a more real representation of the character would count as toning down, but thats the route I would have gone with. A odd, peculiar, highly energetic kid with a severe case of ADHD. That clip is... something. 

1 hour ago, elbobo said:

Finished it today. I am not sure if the changes in the last episode are beneficial or not to the series.

Overall I liked more than I disliked.

Vicious and his expanded role were the low part of the series.

Personally, I loved it. Spike is so much more human in this. I understand why he is the way he is in the anime, but I actually cared about Spike in the show. I cared about everyone.

"Beautiful meloncholy" is how I'd describe Watanabe's works, and the show hits it on the head for me.

3 hours ago, elbobo said:

Finished it today. I am not sure if the changes in the last episode are beneficial or not to the series.

Overall I liked more than I disliked.

Vicious and his expanded role were the low part of the series.

Agreed. They made Vicious less  theatening than he is in the anime by "fleshing" him out more. And I too am not sure about the change in status quo at the end of the series either. Otherwise I really dug it.

I finally had time to begin this and I'm...happy with it? If things get better as they go along, cool. I can see why so many critics that were huge fans of the anime would be unhappy with this. So far, it's not better than the anime, but it didn't really have to be. It can be its own thing, and if I judge it that way, it's a pretty good so far. We'll see as I get further along how I feel.

The way I see it, if you're comparing it to the anime... Cowboy Bebop is perhaps the best anime of all time. Don't assume it's going to be just as good. It is different. I really, REALLY enjoyed the show. In my mind, it's one of the best shows Netflix has ever done. It's right up there with season 1 of Altered Carbon or Daredevil.

That makes me wonder how they're going to fuck up season 2, but we can think about that later.

I also finally got around to watching episode 1 tonight, and yeah, I don't think it's the trainwreck a lot of professional reviews made it out to be. It ain't perfect, and in particular I think a few of the jokes they throw in really don't land at all, but overall it's pretty much a competent retelling of the first episode of the anime, with Faye written into the story earlier.

1 minute ago, Ricofoley said:

I also finally got around to watching episode 1 tonight, and yeah, I don't think it's the trainwreck a lot of professional reviews made it out to be. It ain't perfect, and in particular I think a few of the jokes they throw in really don't land at all, but overall it's pretty much a competent retelling of the first episode of the anime, with Faye written into the story earlier.

I can't remember what I thought after the first episode or 2, but it ended up being perhaps my favorite show that Netflix has ever done, perhaps behind S1 of Altered Carbon.

The final episode does have some scenes that are shot for shot and line for line from the anime, and rightfully so, some of the shots are absolutely iconic.

One I wished they changed though was the exchange between Vicious and Spike about having the blood of a killer and having bleed all that blood away, it is such a clunky line. It has bothered me since I watched the anime 20 years ago, I always wondered if it was one of those things that just doesn't translate well.

Just watched my Shower, Bath, Shower one and again I’m liking what I’m watching. Nothing can really top the original/your personal expectations. Still I’m enjoying the banter and look of the show. Again watched the first in HD and was amazed at how much the 4K/Dolby Vision colours add to the atmosphere of the show. Will try to finish it this week and just an episode each night this week before bed

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

And thus shot of vicious is HORRIBLY out of context 

Hide contents

It's not him... it'd a vr representation of him as Spike imagines him and is deliberately over the top. 

Damn Twitter sucks...

He still looks like Geralt Malfoy doe. 

• 2 weeks later...

This honestly feels less like how people felt about this live action reboot and more about Netflix just perpetuating the cycle of people being hesitant to get invested in a new Netflix show until they find out whether Netflix prematurely cancels it. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Cowboy Bebop (Netflix, November 19), update: aaaaaaaand it's been cancelled
6 minutes ago, Jason said:

This honestly feels less like how people felt about this live action reboot and more about Netflix just perpetuating the cycle of people being hesitant to get invested in a new Netflix show until they find out whether Netflix prematurely cancels it. 

My desire to get invested in any Netflix series is practically zero at this point.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Boo, I would have watched a second season. 

As would I have.

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

My desire to get invested in any Netflix series is practically zero at this point.

I'm pretty much to the point where I'm likely to avoid most of they're series unless their a single season one off or they already have a few seasons under their belt. Even then, their propensity to just be fine with leaving a multi-season series on an open end doesn't help.

Hmmm... okay. I've only watched like 4 episodes... and I too expected to HATE this... I almost wanted to HATE this... but shockingly, I didn't hate it.

It wasn't blowing me away or anything... and if I had never seen the original I think I may have hated it... but it was pretty interesting how well they actually replicated the bizarre tone of the original. It was way better than it had any right to be.

I don't know if I'll finish the season, but I probably will.

Oh well, whatever. This was a bad idea to begin with... just make some cool new shit. Enough with the remakes and adaptations.

10 hours ago, Komusha said:

I don’t understand the benefit of publicly canceling something less than a month later but what do I know?

Netflix is run by algorithms. There was a big drop from week one to week two combined with poor reviews along with the high budget, so ROI for them was awful. Internal metrics will say that this was the right call since viewership will continue to tank. Does it matter that it'll tank even more due to this public announcement? Nope.

16 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Netflix is run by algorithms. There was a big drop from week one to week two combined with poor reviews along with the high budget, so ROI for them was awful. Internal metrics will say that this was the right call since viewership will continue to tank. Does it matter that it'll tank even more due to this public announcement? Nope.

This was something that was being SO hyped by their marketing. It seems like admitting it was a failure so early on is a bad PR for them. I dunno, I don't understand why they just don't wait half a year and quietly kill it.