~*Please Support the GoFundMe Campaign for HardAct*~ Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
CitizenVectron

Update: Amazon cancels plans for NYC HQ2 campus

29 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I don't know why I always get Long island confused with Staten island.

Long Island City is not Long Island. Brooklyn and Queens are physically on Long Island, but when people say "Long Island" they almost always mean only Nassau and Suffolk Counties.

Map_of_the_Boroughs_of_New_York_City_and

LIC is an interesting choice, but it's already in the middle of an absolute explosion of development right now.  My office is in Astoria and I pass through LIC every day, and the amount of owrk that's gone up in the last five years is incredible.

Still wondering when the south Bronx sees the same kind of gentrification/redevelopment that happened in Brooklyn, midtown west, and LIC.

1 hour ago, GoldenTongue said:

LIC is an interesting choice, but it's already in the middle of an absolute explosion of development right now.  My office is in Astoria and I pass through LIC every day, and the amount of owrk that's gone up in the last five years is incredible.

Still wondering when the south Bronx sees the same kind of gentrification/redevelopment that happened in Brooklyn, midtown west, and LIC.

it's gonna be awhile before The South Bronx sees any gentrification... too far from Manhattan i suppose. But anything is possible.

11 hours ago, Jason said:

Long Island City is not Long Island. Brooklyn and Queens are physically on Long Island, but when people say "Long Island" they almost always mean only Nassau and Suffolk Counties.

Map_of_the_Boroughs_of_New_York_City_and

Why is Atlantic spelled with a "K"? Are you a Russian spy???

13 hours ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

more gentrification for LIC

Is there even room for more gentrification there? I lived there for about four years out of college and it was pretty gentrified then and got even MORE gentrified after I left. A company I worked for in Manhattan just moved there last year.

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Why is Atlantic spelled with a "K"? Are you a Russian spy???

:lol:

Maybe it's from the German version of the Wikipedia article?

1 minute ago, Jason said:

:lol:

Maybe it's from the German version of the Wikipedia article?

Sure... blame it on the Germans. Such a Russian thing to do :thinking:

I got my eye on you sir giphy.gif

New York City is a great place to visit, and to live outside of, but I would never live there. I've been in NYC's proximity to one degree or another my whole life and not once have I ever felt the need to live there. Also too many streets/sidewalks and metro/subway stations smell like piss. 

The fact that Philadelphia has been on the rise this last decade to the point that some NYC'ers are calling Philadelphia "the sixth borough" is a bunch of horseshit though. They looked down on us forever but now because Philly has become awesome they want a piece? 

I don't think so. :p  

4 hours ago, Jose said:

Jersey City and Hoboken share the 6th borough title for a while now.

I think that's much fairer to say. Also those places are thankfully outside the city and affordable. 

So if the city gets half a headquarters, do Amazon get half the tax breaks?  

The good news is that the commute to LIC from North New Jersey isn’t easy so I hope the impact is minimal for us. 

11 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I just want to know what Richmond promised Bezos to land this thing.

That HQ2 would be its own nation state?

Even without Amazon, the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments estimated that the region needs to add 235,000 housing units by 2025 to keep pace with expected job growth. Amazon’s arrival could push the goal above 267,000, according to a recent analysis by the Urban Institute. Right now it is on pace to add about 170,000 new units by 2026.

Per WaPo 

Lol you boned NoVA. Hopefully the state gets the HSR from Richmond so that some crazy people can commute there and Richmond gets the benefits with fewer of the downsides.

18 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Per WaPo 

Lol you boned NoVA. Hopefully the state gets the HSR from Richmond so that some crazy people can commute there and Richmond gets the benefits with fewer of the downsides.

OLOLOLOLOL I'm so screwed OLOLOLOLOLOL