Update: Amazon cancels plans for NYC HQ2 campus

11 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

A billion dollars (over 15 years)? That's not too bad. If 20,000 workers (new persons to the state) make $100k each, that is about $1.6billion in taxes to the Commonwealth over 15 years. This could have been a whole lot worse

My understanding is that when these tax breaks aren't necessarily that bad is if they're going to be constructing a bunch of new space, since the money spent on construction goes right back into the local economy. But if they're just taking over a bunch of empty office space in Crystal City then it seems like that isn't really relevant.

• Guillotine 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

A billion dollars (over 15 years)? That's not too bad. If 20,000 workers (new persons to the state) make $100k each, that is about $1.6billion in taxes to the Commonwealth over 15 years. This could have been a whole lot worse

Of course you have to factor in DC and Maryland and WV residents that take those jobs.  

49 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Amazing to watch the largest city in the country just completely debase itself for this

Now that the stock market is just LARPing while algorithms decide our fate and Lin Manuel Miranda is off Hamilton, Manhattan literally has no value and should be given back to the Dutch if we’re just going to get all orange about things anyway. 

8 hours ago, Jason said:

Doesn't the Research Triangle area have tons of job growth already though?

In some areas, mostly in the form of academia (Duke, UNC), Research institutions, and medical. Raleigh could absorb the effects pretty well in terms of housing. It's got expensive areas like Cary for the executive types, and cheaper areas for average employees (Durham). Plus there is ton of room to expand the city itself.

I honestly don't know who to blame for all this, besides everyone. It's hard for me to argue that Amazon shouldn't seek out these incentives if they can get them, and there was obviously no shortage of suiters. I also understand why politicians would fight for this kind of thing, even if I can't justify what they're willing to spend.

I think the worst part of all this is that it's all done in secret. If these deals were being negotiated out in the open, maybe people would have been able to make their objections known.

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Iirc it appears that Maryland, as an example, offered way more money but still lost. Amazon probably knew where they wanted to put their hqs2s but wanted to see how much they could milk those locales for.

That's exactly what happened.  Amazon now has a mother-lode of data on these locales and an excellent idea of what they're willing to give up to get an Amazon facility.

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

That's exactly what happened.  Amazon now has a motherload of data on these locales and in idea of what they're willing to give up to get an Amazon facility.

This shit makes me so fucking livid that I don’t know how to process it. NFL owners, folks like Bezos, etc., grifting taxpayers for money they don’t need makes my blood boil.

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

This shit makes me so fucking livid that I don’t know how to process it. NFL owners, folks like Bezos, etc., grifting taxpayers for money they don’t need makes my blood boil.

Shit like this is what people latch onto when talking themselves into not voting because "both sides".