Update: Amazon cancels plans for NYC HQ2 campus

29 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I don't know why I always get Long island confused with Staten island.

Long Island City is not Long Island. Brooklyn and Queens are physically on Long Island, but when people say "Long Island" they almost always mean only Nassau and Suffolk Counties.

Map_of_the_Boroughs_of_New_York_City_and

LIC is an interesting choice, but it's already in the middle of an absolute explosion of development right now.  My office is in Astoria and I pass through LIC every day, and the amount of owrk that's gone up in the last five years is incredible.

Still wondering when the south Bronx sees the same kind of gentrification/redevelopment that happened in Brooklyn, midtown west, and LIC.

1 hour ago, GoldenTongue said:

LIC is an interesting choice, but it's already in the middle of an absolute explosion of development right now.  My office is in Astoria and I pass through LIC every day, and the amount of owrk that's gone up in the last five years is incredible.

Still wondering when the south Bronx sees the same kind of gentrification/redevelopment that happened in Brooklyn, midtown west, and LIC.

it's gonna be awhile before The South Bronx sees any gentrification... too far from Manhattan i suppose. But anything is possible.

New York City is a great place to visit, and to live outside of, but I would never live there. I've been in NYC's proximity to one degree or another my whole life and not once have I ever felt the need to live there. Also too many streets/sidewalks and metro/subway stations smell like piss. 

The fact that Philadelphia has been on the rise this last decade to the point that some NYC'ers are calling Philadelphia "the sixth borough" is a bunch of horseshit though. They looked down on us forever but now because Philly has become awesome they want a piece? 

I don't think so. :p  

Even without Amazon, the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments estimated that the region needs to add 235,000 housing units by 2025 to keep pace with expected job growth. Amazon’s arrival could push the goal above 267,000, according to a recent analysis by the Urban Institute. Right now it is on pace to add about 170,000 new units by 2026.

Per WaPo 

Lol you boned NoVA. Hopefully the state gets the HSR from Richmond so that some crazy people can commute there and Richmond gets the benefits with fewer of the downsides.