Wonder Woman 1984 to release in theaters and on HBO Max on Christmas Day

As I watch it, you can see the edges of the limitations of Gal as an actress... but she carries the presence of Wonder Woman well enough, it helps that as Wonder Woman her interactions with others are limited.

The effects dont bother me except for the damn running.. why do DC film makers screw up their heroes running?  

It was the best (and only, as far as I can remember) actual "acting" I've ever seen her do. She honestly wasn't bad. Every other role I've ever seen her in is just "stand there and look pretty." In this movie she actually has some emotional range. It's not gonna win any awards, but she wasn't wooden, either.

12 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

It was the best (and only, as far as I can remember) actual "acting" I've ever seen her do. She honestly wasn't bad. Every other role I've ever seen her in is just "stand there and look pretty." In this movie she actually has some emotional range. It's not gonna win any awards, but she wasn't wooden, either.

This is true. She did have to cry a couple of times and that's more than she usually does. She did it well.

6 hours ago, Brick said:

I have to wonder where she even got her training, or if she has even had any. Either way it probably wouldn't hurt to get some more. 

Her big break, and I think second role ever, was a Fast and Furious movie and her own words are that Justin Lin picked her for having been in the military and thus having some knowledge of weapons. And I haven't seen any of those movies but they're obviously not the type of movies where acting ability is what people are primarily being hired for. So she's basically a way more successful version of the Gina Carano (the muscle woman in Mandalorian) type of actress who got picked for a look/background.

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

Agreed..

now that im done watching I can honestly say it didnt go as expected at all.. Having heard some of the more severe accusations against the film.. (racism, contrasts of  Gadots history with IDF with how middle east is presented on film etc)

I expected more out of Cheetah, or at least a resolution...Also what was the point of hyping up the armor if its just a non-factor? if anything I had assumed the film would go full Superman 2 with a fully de-powered Diana and the armor would be the crutch to help her in battle...but nope

As others have already mentioned its the lack of explanation and clarity as to how some things worked that was most confusing... i though cheetah was gradually taking her powers and did wonder what Dianas wish was costing her

4 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

I expected more out of Cheetah, or at least a resolution...Also what was the point of hyping up the armor if its just a non-factor? if anything I had assumed the film would go full Superman 2 with a fully de-powered Diana and the armor would be the crutch to help her in battle...but nope

I think I understand what they were going for here. They show the armor fending off an entire army in that flashback. Later, when Diana uses it, Cheetah rips through it easily, showing that she is really an "apex predator the likes of which have never been seen before" or whatever. 

5 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I think I understand what they were going for here. They show the armor fending off an entire army in that flashback. Later, when Diana uses it, Cheetah rips through it easily, showing that she is really an "apex predator the likes of which have never been seen before" or whatever. 

probably the correct take... Apex predator went out the window when film fought the running time.. a missed opportunity to show Dianas capacity as a hand to hand fighter against a similarly powered foe... an overall letdown

5 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I didn't like the casting of Kristen Wiig as that character. I don't know who I would have picked, but I just didn't buy her as any "version" of the character.

i liked her. i think the problem is she is basically an afterthought for most of the movie and is just pedro pascals bodyguard at the end. 

should have gotten much more time with cheetah/WW interacting and fighting. 

On 12/30/2020 at 11:18 PM, Fizzzzle said:

I thought her best work was F&F, she wasn't amazing, but it's one of her better performances 

On 1/1/2021 at 11:14 AM, elbobo said:

I really did not like this movie. The first 20 minutes were overly cartoony even by comicbook movie standards. The next hour was boring and the last 40 minutes was ok at best. 

Not only that, the effects are terrible. Her running fast is the worst cg I've seen in a big budget movie in a long time.e. her running fast looks absurd.

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Hahaha.  No, Patty, this doesn't not make it "better".  Not at all.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah, this is... a weird take.

I don't think it's a weird take.  The take is.... completely fucking fictional, delusional, perverted, and fabricated out of thin air.  For one, the analogy to other body swap movies is simply not applicable.  The swap actually magically happens in Big.  In WW84, Diana chooses to imagine the physicality.  Literally choosing to ignore reality for her own selfish desires.  This is a trait for villains, not heroes, and the movie made zero attempt to have any kind of commentary about it - good, bad, or satirical.  Second, the revoking of wishes is the laziest and most dishonest part of this movie.  The more I examine this part the more I absolutely loathe it.  Again, there was zero satirical commentary about this event, so we can only take it seriously.  And simply saying "I take back all the bad shit I've done" without having to do anything is a terrible moral lesson.  Oh, hey, just do whatever the fuck you want and as long as you regret it you don't have to deal with any consequences, or you don't have to do any work to fix your mistake. 

15 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I don't think it's a weird take.  The take is.... completely fucking fictional, delusional, perverted, and fabricated out of thin air.  For one, the analogy to other body swap movies is simply not applicable.  The swap actually magically happens in Big.  In WW84, Diana chooses to imagine the physicality.  Literally choosing to ignore reality for her own selfish desires.  This is a trait for villains, not heroes, and the movie made zero attempt to have any kind of commentary about it - good, bad, or satirical.  Second, the revoking of wishes is the laziest and most dishonest part of this movie.  The more I examine this part the more I absolutely loathe it.  Again, there was zero satirical commentary about this event, so we can only take it seriously.  And simply saying "I take back all the bad shit I've done" without having to do anything is a terrible moral lesson.  Oh, hey, just do whatever the fuck you want and as long as you regret it you don't have to deal with any consequences, or you don't have to do any work to fix your mistake. 

This is a better way of saying it, the movie didn't seem worth the level of effort thinking about it would require. So thank you for doing the heavy lifting. :)

Haha, agreed.  If I didn't want this movie to at least be competent before watching it I certainly wouldn't have put forth any effort to analyze.  I am disappointed they fucked it up by turning the core of story into one of those faux-fantasy Lifetime Channel movies.  Sadly this, along with other studio checkboxes, is the movie's downfall; target audience will eat this up because that audience just doesn't get those things or representation in a big budget release.  But that audience deserves better.

The whole body swap thing maybe could have worked if it was a dark twist revealed later in the movie, but from the sounds of it Diana knows right away that Steve is possessing some dude, right? What an absurd idea. I wonder if something got lost in the rewrites and reshoots (remember this was first shot back in 2018, and was originally supposed to come out in 2019). 

Also

Usually I avoid spoilers, but given the controversy surrounding the movie my curiosity got the better of me. I wouldn't have caved had theatres been open and I could just go and see it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I finally finished watching this on the day before it left HBO Max. I didn’t hate it as much as some people did. Part of me does admire how weird it is for a tent pole release. There’s definitely elements of it that I appreciate - such as Pedro Pascal - but overall yeah this was an odd follow up.

So many questions. Does Wonder Woman fly now? Why have Steve Trevor possess someone’s body? Why does Kristen Wiig get two wishes?

2 hours ago, sexy_shapiro said:

So many questions. Does Wonder Woman fly now? Why have Steve Trevor possess someone’s body? Why does Kristen Wiig get two wishes?

1) Yes

2) I’ve thought about it and the only thing I can come up with is that it justifies putting Chris Pine through a bunch of 80’s wardrobe changes

3) She had to become a cat somehow, who knows :p

13 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

1) Yes

2) I’ve thought about it and the only thing I can come up with is that it justifies putting Chris Pine through a bunch of 80’s wardrobe changes

3) She had to become a cat somehow, who knows :p

Lol all of this :lol: The Cat thing made absolutely NO SENSE. Neither did the need for Steve Trevor to be in some other dude's body and for Diana to effectively rape him.

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

She learned how to fly after listening to Steve explain away how he could still fly a plane that was built 60 years after he died. You just have to "feel the air" or some shit. 

Steve, who was a WWI combat pilot, who was blown away by trash cans, escalators, and subways, all of which were around while he was alive. This movie might suck.