Wonder Woman 1984 to release in theaters and on HBO Max on Christmas Day

21 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
chris-pine-gal-gadot-wonder-woman-1984.j
COLLIDER.COM

Chris Pine miraculously returns as Steve Trevor in Wonder Woman 1984, but the exact details are some of the most disturbing storytelling of 2020.

Didn’t read the article yet but:

Spoiler

The fact that neither of them gave a damn about stealing some innocent guy’s body and life definitely bugged me. Like, they didn’t even acknowledge it. :p 

22 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah. Diana is oddly prudish for someone who's supposed to be motivated and driven by love? Captain America was a character out of time as well, had a love from WWII, but he got to tell Black Widow that he'd kissed someone since he got out of the ice, bang Black Widow later, hook up with Sharon Carter, etc. There's something weird about Wonder Woman falling in love with the first man she ever met and then never having a crush in forty years. Come on now.

To be fair, what is decade's to an immortal?

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

Didn’t read the article yet but:

Reveal hidden contents

The fact that neither of them gave a damn about stealing some innocent guy’s body and life definitely bugged me. Like, they didn’t even acknowledge it. :p 

28 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's exactly the article.

Spoiler

Days of Future Past does this too. Logan wakes up in a body 50 years after the events in the last and Professor X is all, “oh shot friend, good to see you.” Meanwhile the Logan he knew for MUCH LONGER is just... gone now I guess?

Anyway this plot point is handled so badly and... I have no idea why it exists at all? Wishes can spawn nuclear missiles out of nowhere, but Steve has to be Body Snatcher’d? Is it just so they can have the scene where he tries in 80’s clothes? It’s SUPER WEIRD that Diana fucks a man that isn’t Steve because it’s kinda him sorta.

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

Hide contents

Days of Future Past does this too. Logan wakes up in a body 50 years after the events in the last and Professor X is all, “oh shot friend, good to see you.” Meanwhile the Logan he knew for MUCH LONGER is just... gone now I guess?

Anyway this plot point is handled so badly and... I have no idea why it exists at all? Wishes can spawn nuclear missiles out of nowhere, but Steve has to be Body Snatcher’d? Is it just so they can have the scene where he tries in 80’s clothes? It’s SUPER WEIRD that Diana fucks a man that isn’t Steve because it’s kinda him sorta.

Spoiler

At least that was still Logan! :p 

16 hours ago, Brick said:

I think Kal is reading too much into it. I don't think Steve is the kind of man that would do casual sex. 

Steve does it all the time.  In TFA he goes on tour with probably hundreds of cheerleaders; he's a rockstar.  He was also a pushover when the shield secretary forced a kiss.  And then in TWS he claims he's at least been kissing since the ice because he's "not dead".  And factor in Natasha's super power is lies and seduction.  She could have her way with him.

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Steve does it all the time.  In TFA he goes on tour with probably hundreds of cheerleaders; he's a rockstar.  He was also a pushover when the shield secretary forced a kiss.  And then in TWS he claims he's at least been kissing since the ice because he's "not dead".  And factor in Natasha's super power is lies and seduction.  She could have her way with him.

You're forgetting that Steve Rogers is a good Christian boy. Not necessarily "stay a virgin until marriage" devout, but certainly "treat a woman with respect" and at least be dating before making love. He's not a hookup/casual sex kind of guy. He's not Tony Stark who has meaningless sex all the time (at least before he settled down with Pepper). 

7 hours ago, Brick said:

You're forgetting that Steve Rogers is a good Christian boy. Not necessarily "stay a virgin until marriage" devout, but certainly "treat a woman with respect" and at least be dating before making love. He's not a hookup/casual sex kind of guy. He's not Tony Stark who has meaningless sex all the time (at least before he settled down with Pepper). 

But by Winter Soldier Natasha wouldn't be just some meaningless rando he's boinking.

This is the scene in question? I see no hints of sex in it, especially since they just showered (more than likely separately!), and are in someone else's house.

If anything @Greatoneshere mentioned the party scene in Age of Ultron, and he has more of a point since Steve said, "I've seen her flirt, up close, this ain't that", but again that is just because she is playful without meaning anything serious, and in Winter Soldier she kept busting his thawed out balls.

26 minutes ago, Brick said:

This is the scene in question? I see no hints of sex in it, especially since they just showered (more than likely separately!), and are in someone else's house.

If anything @Greatoneshere mentioned the party scene in Age of Ultron, and he has more of a point since Steve said, "I've seen her flirt, up close, this ain't that", but again that is just because she is playful without meaning anything serious, and in Winter Soldier she kept busting his thawed out balls.

I agree with you ultimately, was just trying to help out Kal's argument that there are ways to create a head cannon where they did, though I do think it's highly unlikely since Steve's just not that kind of guy (as you explained earlier). But maybe he is. :p Either way he's certainly protective of and critical of her throughout Winter Soldier and since then. 

52 minutes ago, Brick said:

That's the main scene. There's also little things like his response to her after she kisses him on the escalator so the Hydra guy doesn't see them:

The scene in Sam's house, plus the rest of the little things like the "that's not the word I'd use" response after that decoy kiss throughout the movie, make it feel to me like there was an aborted trial balloon on pairing them.

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

The scene in Sam's house, plus the rest of the little things like the "that's not the word I'd use" response after that decoy kiss throughout the movie, make it feel to me like there was an aborted trial balloon on pairing them.

I mean, for sure that's the real reason, and Joss Whedon wanted to hard pivot to a Natasha and Bruce pairing instead. But it could be implied, yeah.

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

I mean, for sure that's the real reason, and Joss Whedon wanted to hard pivot to a Natasha and Bruce pairing instead. But it could be implied, yeah.

Okay, so in-universe, maybe there isn't enough to say they boned but there's clearly enough to go off of to say that in-universe they were starting to get the hots for each other for a while there. :p

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jason said:

That's the main scene. There's also little things like his response to her after she kisses him on the escalator so the Hydra guy doesn't see them:

I don't disagree that there was probably some sprinkling of a potential relationship there so they could see how fans reacted, and if they like it, but I don't think they boned. 

Good Lord this movie is a steaming pile of shit.

Where to start? The script, I suppose. First draft written by some high schoolers apparently. And they stuck with the first draft. It can't even stay consistent with its own fucking rules. Everybody gets one wish, until the story needs them to have another one. Barbara: "I wish I could be like Diana." Becomes like Diana. Now you get another wish! "Make me a fuckin' cat." Done! These wishes also have a monkey's paw so that you lose what's most valuable to you. It's instantaneous for some (everybody who is not a main character) and evolves slowly over time for everybody else. And it didn't even affect Barbara. "Barbara you just beat the shit out of me. Therefore you've lost your niceness. That must be what you've lost! The light in your eyes is gone." Fuck you. People said the same shit to me when I left a cult. The movie just completely falls apart in the third act. What a giant unintelligible mess.

You know what would have made this story more interesting and impactful? If they didn't fucking clone the Steve Trevor shit from the first movie. Literally the same thing happens. "Diana you need to let me go to save the world." Done. It would have been a lot more impactful if Steve wanted to stay and Diana had to make a hard choice. It would have been a nice mirror to the first movie instead of a clone of it. Also, very convenient that the super armor was just sitting in her closet. You know what would have made that more awesome? If she had to go on some sort of quest to get that armor and it helped her because she had lost a portion (or all!) of her powers. And Asteria is still alive! You know that thanks to the fucking end credit sequence. Wouldn't it have been cool to have Wonder Woman go on a quest to find Asteria to get the armor and have new Wonder Woman meet old Wonder Woman (who looks fucking incredible, btw)? This is fucking Writing 101 people! Good god.

Now let's talk about the politics of this garbage heap. Let's ignore the problematic portrayal of the Middle East. Let's ignore that a movie that primarily takes place in Washington DC has like two black people in it. In the background. How fucking hilarious is it that a movie starring somebody formerly in the IDF creates a wall to contain/block off Arabs? How creepy is it that we're taking over and touching people's bodies without making a note on how wrong and gross that is? Side note: I love how Maxwell Lord learned of a super top secret thing that can touch everybody at once from a display on an easel in the President's office. Very convenient. "What's this?" It's the solution to all your problems! How convenient that you didn't really have to work for that one!

The effects work in this movie wasn't that great. I'm not as down on it as most but agree that it's on the poorer side of recent effects work.

I can't believe a movie that has been delayed for however fucking long still has this many visual and editing problems.

Now, let's talk about the good that keeps this stool from becoming diarrhea soup.

Chris Pine has some comedic chops and he gets to flex them in this movie. And it works great. 1 point for Gryffindor.

Pedro Pascal fucking brings it. He is hamming it up to great effect. He is great at everything he's done and this is no exception. 1 point for Gryffindor.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, johnny said:

@Kal-El814is writing a steamy fan fic of Cap/Widow 

Cap was on a national tour where he's shoulder pressing motorcycles, there's no way he didn't get it in with some of the women on that USO tour. When Hunger Games camera woman goes to make out with him, he's not shocked, he's not pulling back. He's used to that. He tells Black Widow that he's 90, not dead when she asks him if their kiss was his first since WWII. He makes out with Sharon in front of Falcon and Bucky.

Cap fucks, if his Super Solder Serum was sexually transferrable the USO would have KO'd Hydra in 15 minutes, and plumbers unions o'er the land should take him to court for the amount of pipe he's laid without ever paying dues.

• Haha 1

Still haven't seen this movie yet, but how is Gal Gadot's acting? In the first she was serviceable, but it still came off as a little weird (a lot of her naiveté of the "world of man" didn't come off as not being knowledgeable, and in wonder, it came off as if she was a child at best, and an idiot at worst), and I think Gadot is pretty limited as an actor. Given that it was Zack Snyder that originally cast her for BvS, I wouldn't be surprised if she got cast simply for her looks (although I would also have to imagine for a huge franchise, that would spin off to her own films, and crossovers with the DCEU WB execs had to have a say in the casting of Wonder Woman). Gadot looks great, yes, and I would absolutely push @GeneticBlueprint off a bridge to get in line first for her to crush my head with her thighs, but for Wonder Woman it would have been nice had they gone with someone with a bit more muscle rather than the standard model figure (which Gadot used to be!). 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Still haven't seen this movie yet, but how is Gal Gadot's acting? In the fist she was serviceable, but it still came off as a little weird (a lot of her naiveté of the "world of man" didn't come off as not being knowledgeable, and in wonder, it came off as if she was a child at best, and an idiot at worst), and I think Gadot is pretty limited as an actor. Given that it was Zack Snyder that originally cast her for BvS, I wouldn't be surprised if she got cast simply for her looks (although I would also have to imagine for a huge franchise, that would spin off to her own films, and crossovers with the DCEU WB execs had to have a say in the casting of Wonder Woman). Gadot looks great, yes, and I would absolutely push @GeneticBlueprint off a bridge to get in line first for her to crush my head with her thighs, but for Wonder Woman it would have been nice had they gone with someone with a bit more muscle rather than the standard model figure (which Gadot used to be!). 

She does fine. She's not really given much to work with here.

On 12/30/2020 at 9:49 AM, GeneticBlueprint said:

Good Lord this movie is a steaming pile of shit.

Where to start? The script, I suppose. First draft written by some high schoolers apparently. And they stuck with the first draft. It can't even stay consistent with its own fucking rules. Everybody gets one wish, until the story needs them to have another one. Barbara: "I wish I could be like Diana." Becomes like Diana. Now you get another wish! "Make me a fuckin' cat." Done! These wishes also have a monkey's paw so that you lose what's most valuable to you. It's instantaneous for some (everybody who is not a main character) and evolves slowly over time for everybody else. And it didn't even affect Barbara. "Barbara you just beat the shit out of me. Therefore you've lost your niceness. That must be what you've lost! The light in your eyes is gone." Fuck you. People said the same shit to me when I left a cult. The movie just completely falls apart in the third act. What a giant unintelligible mess.

You know what would have made this story more interesting and impactful? If they didn't fucking clone the Steve Trevor shit from the first movie. Literally the same thing happens. "Diana you need to let me me go to save the world." Done. It would have been a lot more impactful if Steve wanted to stay and Diana had to make a hard choice. It would have been a nice mirror to the first movie instead of a clone of it. Also, very convenient that the super armor was just sitting in her closet. You know what would have made that more awesome? If she had to go on some sort of quest to get that armor and it helped her because she had lost a portion (or all!) of her powers. And Asteria is still alive! You know that thanks to the fucking end credit sequence. Wouldn't it have been cool to have Wonder Woman go on a quest to find Asteria to get the armor and have new Wonder Woman meet old Wonder Woman (who looks fucking incredible, btw)? This is fucking Writing 101 people! Good god.

Now let's talk about the politics of this garbage heap. Let's ignore the problematic portrayal of the Middle East. Let's ignore that a movie that primarily takes place in Washington DC has like two black people in it. In the background. How fucking hilarious is it that a movie starring somebody formerly in the IDF creates a wall to contain/block off Arabs? How creepy is it that we're taking over and touching people's bodies without making a note on how wrong and gross that is? Side note: I love how Maxwell Lord learned of a super top secret thing that can touch everybody at once from a display on an easel in the President's office. Very convenient. "What's this?" It's the solution to all your problems! How convenient that you didn't really have to work for that one!

The effects work in this movie wasn't that great. I'm not as down on it as most but agree that it's on the poorer side of recent effects work.

I can't believe a movie that has been delayed for however fucking long still has this many visual and editing problems.

Now, let's talk about the good that keeps this stool from becoming diarrhea soup.

Chris Pine has some comedic chops and he gets to flex them in this movie. And it works great. 1 point for Gryffindor.

Pedro Pascal fucking brings it. He is hamming it up to great effect. He is great at everything he's done and this is no exception. 1 point for Gryffindor.

I think Barb got another wish because the monkey paw went from being an object to being Lord. Not that that makes total sense, but I think that was the suggestion.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Still haven't seen this movie yet, but how is Gal Gadot's acting? In the fist she was serviceable, but it still came off as a little weird (a lot of her naiveté of the "world of man" didn't come off as not being knowledgeable, and in wonder, it came off as if she was a child at best, and an idiot at worst), and I think Gadot is pretty limited as an actor. Given that it was Zack Snyder that originally cast her for BvS, I wouldn't be surprised if she got cast simply for her looks (although I would also have to imagine for a huge franchise, that would spin off to her own films, and crossovers with the DCEU WB execs had to have a say in the casting of Wonder Woman). Gadot looks great, yes, and I would absolutely push @GeneticBlueprint off a bridge to get in line first for her to crush my head with her thighs, but for Wonder Woman it would have been nice had they gone with someone with a bit more muscle rather than the standard model figure (which Gadot used to be!). 

20 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

She does fine. She's not really given much to work with here.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I honestly don't care. I'm a terrible person for saying this but she can act as terribly as she wants for all I care. Looking at her is enough for me. If she ever becomes a great actor that will just be a bonus.

Thank you for going there first so I can follow like a coward.

One of the best things a modern movie can do is put Gal Gadot in the middle of the frame for as long as possible.