Wonder Woman 1984 to release in theaters and on HBO Max on Christmas Day

50 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

seems like a long time because IT IS a long time, lol. I love Gal but her comment about it being released in its rightful home is just stupid. Summer blockbuster? Sure, but a ton of massive movies get released Nov/Dec. 

Yes... the last couple of years a have shown that a good movie can have legs no matter what time of year it's released. Black Panther came out in February and did a billion dollars.  The first Deadpool did too and did amazing business.  Curious as to what the real reason for the delay is. Maybe Aquaman isn't scoring well with test audiences and they want to get the WW sequel as far from it as possible? I dunno.

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yes... the last couple of years a have shown that a good movie can have legs no matter what time of year it's released. Black Panther came out in February and did a billion dollars.  The first Deadpool did too and did amazing business.  Curious as to what the real reason for the delay is. Maybe Aquaman isn't scoring well with test audiences and they want to get the WW sequel as far from it as possible? I dunno.

I think one reason is to move it farther away from the Joker movie... but they could have just moved it a couple months.  

WW is supposed to be done shooting in Dec.  I know they need a lot of time for effects but to not release it for a year and a half after that seems excessive.

I never understand the time of year for anything these days.  Summer I'm off summering.  If I ruled the world early October, December and late February would be when the best movies and video games come out.  That's when I'm itching for both the most.  Summer has always been for shitty movies and kids blockbusters that are slightly shitty.  Spring would be fine too.  Basically, there are plenty of times when I think people want to go to movies.  For me, its cold and crappy out. Movie escapism fits the bill. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

I never understand the time of year for anything these days.  Summer I'm off summering.  If I ruled the world early October, December and late February would be when the best movies and video games come out.  That's when I'm itching for both the most.  Summer has always been for shitty movies and kids blockbusters that are slightly shitty.  Spring would be fine too.  Basically, there are plenty of times when I think people want to go to movies.  For me, its cold and crappy out. Movie escapism fits the bill. 

Traditionally summer time worked because kids were out of school and parents looked for things to do with them. Plus people take vacation in the Summer and ten tend to have more leisure time for things like movies as they go out more. It made more sense to put your big movies in the Summer time so it wasn't completely off base. Now people have shown that if a movie is good enough, they'll go see it regardless of the time of year although that is still a factor. In Inclimate weather can still affect your movie's performance if it is severe enough for example.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Traditionally summer time worked because kids were out of school and parents looked for things to do with them. Plus people take vacation in the Summer and ten tend to have more leisure time for things like movies as they go out more. It made more sense to put your big movies in the Summer time so it wasn't completely off base. Now people have shown that if a movie is good enough, they'll go see it regardless of the time of year although that is still a factor. In Inclimate weather can still affect your movie's performance if it is severe enough for example.

Kind of off topic - but I am getting to the point where I don't much like the theater experience any more.  People are rude.  Not always the cleanest environment.  At the same time my home theater is better than ever with 4k and good surround.  

What I would really like is the option to pay something like $50 to view a movie that is new to the theater at home.  That is roughly what it costs me in tickets for my family of 4... so everyone would get paid (except the theater).  I think Sony and some others have tried this on a small scale before.  I would love if it was the norm.

4 minutes ago, number305 said:

Kind of off topic - but I am getting to the point where I don't much like the theater experience any more.  People are rude.  Not always the cleanest environment.  At the same time my home theater is better than ever with 4k and good surround.  

What I would really like is the option to pay something like $50 to view a movie that is new to the theater at home.  That is roughly what it costs me in tickets for my family of 4... so everyone would get paid (except the theater).  I think Sony and some others have tried this on a small scale before.  I would love if it was the norm.

I understand this sentiment from people. But for me nothing will ever replace the theater experience. But I tend to see movies on weekday nights or early weekend afternoons so I almost never see a movie in a theater more than half full. And with most theaters moving to these luxury recliner seats you’re getting further and further from other people. The days of battling with the asshole behind you who keeps kicking your seat are the dick in front who keeps leaning back to far are over. I do still enjoy full theaters for big franchise opening nights like Star Wars because that’s always an experience in and of itself. 

10 minutes ago, number305 said:

I guess it depends on where you go... the theaters I go to in LA don't tolerate that behavior so I never have those kinds of issues. Mall cineplexes definitely have that kind of behavior though so I can see why people would be soured on the movie going experience. I still love going to the movies though and no matter how good my home system is it wouldn't replace that.

I know at one point Disney was considering a system for people to be able to stream movies at home the same time as they are released but the theater chains are fighting that shit tooth and nail.  They know that would be the death of them.

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I’ve watched Video Rental and Toy Stores disappear in my life time. I will NOT watch movie theaters die out. If it means I have to go every damn day I’ll do everything I can to keep them around haha

Arcades nearly died too but have made a nostalgic comeback in the form of Barcades. Hopefully that isnt a fad.

I agree this seems like a strategic thing. Maybe for their own films, maybe because of competition, who knows.

Then again, there can be something to the idea of movies performing better when people expect them to come out. There were a few good reasons Solo didn't perform, but I do think the overall timing is part of it. WB is kinda hurting for surefire blockbusters right now, so whatever the case, they're probably being extra careful with this one. Also, since there really isn't a cinematic universe left, they don't have to schedule around the other films anymore.

• 6 months later...

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2471965/why-patty-jenkins-is-now-frustrated-by-wonder-woman-1984s-release-date-change

Be careful what you wish for! DC's Wonder Woman follow-up, Wonder Woman 1984, was originally set to come out this November 1. That was pushed back to June 5, 2020 -- which is exactly what director Patty Jenkins wanted. Then. Now? She wants her ex back.

I can't wait! I can't believe -- it's so funny, for all the entire time that we were making the movie, I was lobbying. They were wanting to move it up much earlier. And I was like 'You guys, it’s got to be the summer of 2020, like it’s got to be!' And that was what I always wanted. And now, I’ve just screened a version of the film and I’m like 'Oh my God, can we move it back up again?' I’m dying to release this film! But of course it's good and it's fine, but it's frustrating to have to wait.

:lol:

On 10/23/2018 at 2:02 PM, sblfilms said:

I think WB moved it for purely stargeic reasons. I think they are hot for Joker and want to give that film breathing room. Who knows though.

We always wanted the date that we are on right now. The studio felt that until their slate for the year before came together -- and they had an amazing end of 2018 -- that they needed to have a big what I call aircraft carrier, a ‘tentpole’, in [2019]. We had a very rushed pre-production because Patty also did the TNT show and we had a very rushed post-production schedule in order to make the date that we were on, which was November 1, 2019. We were doing it because the studio said they really needed it, and then at a certain point they came to us and they said, ‘You know what, you guys are right. Let’s go back to the month that you guys released Wonder Woman 1 in, and take the extra time.’

29 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I think this goes with my feelings. They thought they needed it, now they think they’ve got a big picture to carry the quarter with Joker.

Thanks for the update!

• 3 weeks later...