How Far Would Trump Go? (TIME Magazine article)

4 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

He doesn't know what he'd do, nor how he would actually do it. 

Right - that comes through more clearly -- for lack of a better word -- in the transcripts.  He offered very few definitive policy positions other than "it depends".

WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

A lengthy interview with Time magazine was offered as showing what Trump plans to do with a second term. But the details will once again be left to others.

But as is often the case, a lot of what Trump is reported as planning to do is constructed from murky, noncommittal answers Trump offered to specific questions. The interview is very revealing about Trump’s approach to the position in that it strongly suggests he hasn’t thought much about important issues, and makes clear how relentlessly he relies on rhetoric to derail questions.

The interview is not revealing about what Trump is firmly committed to doing. But that’s revealing in its own way: It makes it obvious that a second term, like the first, would see policy and executive actions driven by whomever is around Trump. And Trump is clearly committed to having around him only people who share his political worldview.

• Like 1

I read much of the interview transcripts this morning.

Trump is fucked in the head. If you support Trump, you are fucked in the head. If you have friends or family or colleagues that support Trump, they are fucked in the head. 

• True 1
  • Halal 2

This combined with efforts like project 2025 (brought to you by the heritage foundation—the group who Trump picked his scotus/judicial nominees) would allow him to act fast with very little in the way of resistance effectively not giving any functional check on his authority. 

doesnt matter what Trump will actually do, no one including him knows what he actually wants to do, but it is part of an enabling process that will grant him more power than any president outside of actual wartime 

• True 3
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

He's not the one who'd be doing it. It'd be the hangers-on like Stephen Miller, who all learned a lot about how to use the power of the presidency the last time around.

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

While I agree with you here, one thing the article makes clear is that Trump has now been the head of the GOP for long enough to have found people who are die hard supporters that could actually make things happen. He'll also have the complete backing of GOP members of congress. Trump himself might not be all there, but I think there's reason to believe that a second Trump term would be more effective than his first.

• Halal 2

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

He's not the one who'd be doing it. It'd be the hangers-on like Stephen Miller, who all learned a lot about how to use the power of the presidency the last time around.

3 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

While I agree with you here, one thing the article makes clear is that Trump has now been the head of the GOP for long enough to have found people who are die hard supporters that could actually make things happen. He'll also have the complete backing of GOP members of congress. Trump himself might not be all there, but I think there's reason to believe that a second Trump term would be more effective than his first.

I agree with you both. Not attempting to downplay the seriousness of the man, who is a fascist through and through, getting elected. But I do not think he has any master plan other than a few basic thoughts thrown at the matter here and there before he gets distracted by something else. 

I think his primary reason to get elected at this point in his life is to avoid jail time. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I agree with you both. Not attempting to downplay the seriousness of the man, who is a fascist through and through, getting elected. But I do not think he has any master plan other than a few basic thoughts thrown at the matter here and there before he gets distracted by something else. 

I think his primary reason to get elected at this point in his life is to avoid jail time. 

I don't think it's downplaying the seriousness at all. There's a lot of people who'd use Trump's signature to do extremely terrible things. Doesn't matter if any of it is Trump's idea or not. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I.E. "Useful Idiot"

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don't think it's downplaying the seriousness at all. There's a lot of people who'd use Trump's signature to do extremely terrible things. Doesn't matter if any of it is Trump's idea or not. 

I'm saying I am not downplaying the seriousness. 

I am saying I agree with you. 

32 minutes ago, brucoe said:

I just imagine who awful the experience might be if we ever end up in a war with him in the presidency, regardless of who starts it.

If it's Putin, Trump will just let it happen.  Anyone else, he'll launch the nukes.

2 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

If it's Putin, Trump will just let it happen.  Anyone else, he'll launch the nukes.

So after the dust clears, will we be forced to listen to music from the 1950s, or will we be able to listen to some Metallica and Guns N Roses?

39 minutes ago, brucoe said:

So after the dust clears, will we be forced to listen to music from the 1950s, or will we be able to listen to some Metallica and Guns N Roses?

based on where they want to bring us back to it will be earlier than 50s

18 hours ago, TwinIon said:

There will likely be a lot less people in place who will tell him "No, you can't do that."

If you read what Mattis, Barr, Tillerson, Priebus, Scaramucci and others who were his advisors during his first administration, you'll see that he really wanted to do way crazier shit than he actually did (!!!) during his term, but was more or less told no by people who understand how the government of a large liberal democracy works.

Next time around, those people probably won't be there.  It'll be anti-institutionalist authoritarians staffing the administration, and everyone else is just going to have to watch Rome burn.

• True 1

It doesn’t matter if Trump wins this election. Eventually, we’re going to get a republican authoritarian president and that will be the end of the current era of American politics (and possibly America itself). Best to just prepare and accept it at this point.

• True 4

So last follow-up: The Biden Administration created the Office of Pandemic Preparedness and Response Policy, a permanent office in the executive branch tasked with preparing for epidemics that have not yet emerged. You disbanded a similar office in 2018 that Obama had created. Would you disband Biden's office, too?

Trump: Well, he wants to spend a lot of money on something that you don't know if it's gonna be 100 years or 50 years or 25 years. And it's just a way of giving out pork. And, yeah, I probably would, because I think we've learned a lot and we can mobilize, you know, we can mobilize. A lot of the things that you do and a lot of the equipment that you buy is obsolete when you get hit with something. And as far as medicines, you know, these medicines are very different depending on what strains, depending on what type of flu or virus it may be. You know, things change so much. So, yeah, I think I would. It doesn't mean that we're not watching out for it all the time. But it's very hard to predict what's coming because there are a lot of variations of these pandemics. I mean, the variations are incredible, if you look at it. But we did a great job with the therapeutics. And, again, these therapeutics were specific to this, not for something else. So, no, I think it's just another—I think it sounds good politically, but I think it's a very expensive solution to something that won't work. You have to move quickly when you see it happening.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

Yeah, this has been my main thing when it comes to Trump’s presidency. Covid was his fault, full stop. Disbanding that office in 2018 led to Covid.

It would have made zero difference tbh because of trumps “unique” management style