RFK Jr. is considering Aaron Rodgers and Jesse Ventura as possible running mates Lolololololol

Aaron Rogers is absolutely insufferable. Listening to him speak is grating and physically painful. 

That said, I kind of want this to happen, even though I loath both of these men. ( edit: I loath RFK and Rogers,  not Ventura, who has kinda lost it in his old age but I used to appreciate his candor even if I didn’t 100% agree with his politics. Dude was a true believer. )

• Halal 1

Unlike Trump, Rodgers might be able to toss those paper towel rolls to the people in the very back of a natural disaster gathering. I just really wanna know if there is something in Green Bay that turns their top QB into Republican lunatics? Favre being another one of them examples  

My understanding is that many pro athletes are hardcore right wingers. Come for the tax breaks & hardline meritocratic ideology... and stay for the culture war garbage!

My favorite thing from Rodgers was when he was dating Olivia Munn, and everyone turned against Munn because she supposedly “crazy, and keeping him away from his family”.

My how the turns have tabled.

13 minutes ago, ort said:

My understanding is that many pro athletes are hardcore right wingers. Come for the tax breaks & hardline meritocratic ideology... and stay for the culture war garbage!

There is nothing wrong meritocracy. 

3 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

There is nothing wrong meritocracy. 

Hi, it’s me, the structural inequality baked into our political economy. You may remember me from classic hits such as “redlining”, “segregation”, and “generational poverty”. Now, my roles may seem antiquated, but nothing has been done to alleviate these issues since they’ve been legally abolished, so I’m still surviving on my residuals. 

• Like 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

12 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Hi, it’s me, the structural inequality baked into our political economy. You may remember me from classic hits such as “redlining”, “segregation”, and “generational poverty”. Now, my roles may seem antiquated, but nothing has been done to alleviate these issues since they’ve been legally abolished, so I’m still surviving on my residuals. 

Hello!  None of what you said changes the fact that if a person applies themselves, builds up their skillset, knowledge, and/or experience, they should be passed up for a job or other opportunity because of some historical injustice that they personally didn't take part in.  

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Anyone else read this in Phil Hartman’s voice?

• Haha 1

I would say that less taxes, smaller government, desiring a strong military, being tougher on crime and favoring pure meritocracy over government mandated equality are the base pillars of a sane Republican Party and not some sort of crazy viewpoint. Not necessarily one I agree with, but we need people in power pulling in that direction too so we can land somewhere sane in the middle. The problem is that those are no longer the pillars and the entire party has gone completely batshit crazy.

2 minutes ago, ort said:

I would say that less taxes, smaller government, desiring a strong military, being tougher on crime and favoring pure meritocracy over government mandated equality are the base pillars of a sane Republican Party and not some sort of crazy viewpoint. Not necessarily one I agree with, but we need people in power pulling in that direction too so we can land somewhere sane in the middle. The problem is that those are no longer the pillars and the entire party has gone completely batshit crazy.

The irony being Buck was considered too outside the mainstream when he ran for U.S. Senate in 2010 and lost to Michael Bennett.

And he is.

21 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Hello!  None of what you said changes the fact that if a person applies themselves, builds up their skillset, knowledge, and/or experience, they should be passed up for a job or other opportunity because of some historical injustice that they personally didn't take part in.  

Overcoming these barriers is extremely difficult, you can’t just hand waive them away. 

and then comes the bolded word, which is an ideal, but not how things work in reality (like libertarianism)

so one must overcome the structural barriers (which filters out similarly able people based on these structural factors) only then do you get to the meritocratic part, where hard work, education, etc, and a great deal of luck should win out. But then we have some guy hiring his kids, or someone with connections for a position even if they aren’t the most qualified. 

It’s not that meritocracy is bad per se but it is used to gloss over and ignore the very real issues in society. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 2

It's like if two clones need to run a 100m race to get a job, but one clone got spit out of the vat as Chris Christie, and the other is Usain Bolt. 

Also, most examples I see of "unfair" hiring (usually women or POC over a cis white man) are cases where:

- Both candidates meet the requirements

- The cis, white man scored 99.9% and the other scored 99.8%

I hire people all the time, and I can tell you with 100% certainty that the people "most qualified" for a job are often the biggest assholes and you don't want them on your team. You want someone that meets certain base requirements, and then you want other non-tangible things that will help the team succeed. That includes diversity of experience and background to bring different insights to a group.

• True 1

24 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's like if two clones need to run a 100m race to get a job, but one clone got spit out of the vat as Chris Christie, and the other is Usain Bolt. 

Also, most examples I see of "unfair" hiring (usually women or POC over a cis white man) are cases where:

- Both candidates meet the requirements

- The cis, white man scored 99.9% and the other scored 99.8%

I hire people all the time, and I can tell you with 100% certainty that the people "most qualified" for a job are often the biggest assholes and you don't want them on your team. You want someone that meets certain base requirements, and then you want other non-tangible things that will help the team succeed. That includes diversity of experience and background to bring different insights to a group.

I agree.  It's not just the "what" a person does or has done, it's "how" they accomplish those things.  I have passed up hiring applicants in the past because it was clear that even if they were highly talented and skilled, they'd burn every bridge along their path. 

3 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

I feel like the "super qualified guy who gets passed up for a DEI applicant" is like the welfare queen. I don't believe it really happens broadly and generally correcting the historical imbalance is worth it on the aggregate even if there are individuals who are adversely affected by it. If the injustice is historical and all the people responsible for it are dead, someone contemporaneous is going to have to take the hit or else the status quo just gets maintained. Perfect shouldn't be the enemy of good, or even better. Aside from that, I don't really think people who lose jobs in these areas are often in a position to know if that's what is really happening.

Besides, there's always the weird undercurrent that a lot of people who complain about "diversity hires" (or whatever the term du jour is) assume that those people are going to be less competent than non-diversity hires... for "reasons." 

• True 1
  • Halal 2

5 hours ago, ort said:

some are just racist and want to do some hate crimes IE the Bosas 

DEI is probably the wrong term to use. Affirmative Action may be better... but I don't think that term is in use anymore.

It's not perfect because there are people who are more qualified who get passed over in some situations. One of my good friends worked in a police department that put so much emphasis on promoting and hiring black police officers that it was basically impossible for white officers to advance. So what do they do? They all quit, which is what he did along with many others. Well, some of them also sued them for millions of dollars and won.

I know this is an extreme example, but I think we can all agree that in a perfect world we wouldn't need to take someones race into the equation when hiring at all, unfortunately, we do not live in a perfect world and we have deep deep problems in our societal structures so much that without taking more drastic measures, they will never sort themselves out naturally.

4 minutes ago, ort said:

DEI is probably the wrong term to use. Affirmative Action may be better... but I don't think that term is in use anymore.

It's not perfect because there are people who are more qualified who get passed over in some situations. One of my good friends worked in a police department that put so much emphasis on promoting and hiring black police officers that it was basically impossible for white officers to advance. So what do they do? They all quit, which is what he did along with many others.

I know this is an extreme example, but I think we can all agree that in a perfect world we wouldn't need to take someones race into the equation when hiring at all, unfortunately, we do not live in a perfect world and we have deep deep problems in our societal structures so much that without taking more drastic measures, they will never sort themselves out naturally.

As in topics like gun control, I don't deny that there would be collateral damage if I could snap my fingers and have all guns vanish. There would be some people who were in a position to defend themselves before that would no longer be able to at a pivotal moment, which could result in the loss of property, bodily harm, or death. And I don't doubt that there are examples where DEI initiatives have caused harm to people. In both cases I do genuinely sympathize.

But that sympathy isn't a compelling enough reason to not do *something* even if that something is potentially flawed and causes harm, if the overall benefit outweighs that.

Again in the aviation or medical industries, where a lot of the current agita around DEI programs happens to be at the moment... there are candidates out there who are qualified and not white. If nincompoops are being hired over qualified candidates, that's a problem of the people or organizations doing the hiring and not the notion that hiring should be more equitable.

I suspect that the perspectives around this topic are going to get worse before they get better. More women are going to college than ever before, outpacing men. It's still not equitable, but the gains I've seen in the biopharma and biotech divisions in the 20 or so years I've been working are staggering.

Somewhat ironically, the people who carp the most about DEI programs potentially killing you by letting an unqualified black person be your doctor or pilot are also the same people who bitch about how college is a waste of time and money... actively encouraging a largely white, male audience to not be educated.

• True 1
  • Halal 2

Uhhhhhhhhhhh.... yikes

WWW.CNN.COM

Independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. has confirmed that among his potential vice-presidential prospects is New York Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who in private conversations shared deranged conspiracy theories about the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting not being real.

• Guillotine 1

5 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Uhhhhhhhhhhh.... yikes

WWW.CNN.COM

Independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. has confirmed that among his potential vice-presidential prospects is New York Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who in private conversations shared deranged conspiracy theories about the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting not being real.

Did I fucking stutter?

18 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Aaron Rodgers is one of the dumbest motherfuckers walking god's green earth.

• Haha 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

Just now, MarSolo said:

Concussions are a false flag operation to discredit athletes for thinking outside the box.

Rodgers has spent his whole adult life hearing that he's the smartest person in the room but he's not bright enough to realize that's a useless fucking metric when the room in question is an NFL locker room.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • True 1

If’s like an ouroboros of idiocy.  Aaron Rodgers is the stupidest man alive BUT… RFK exists and would make Rodgers VP making Rodgers NOT the stupidest man alive, which in turn makes choosing him NOT the stupidest possible decision which means RFK is now not the stupidest man alive and it reverts back to Rodgers EXCEPT… that makes choosing him the stupidest possible decision so the crown goes BACK to RFK…