State of the Union - March 7th 9pm EST

48 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Nothing wrong with calling someone here illegally, an illegal in my opinion.  Especially someone who allegedly murdered someone.

It's derogatory. It's not used for anyone except undocumented people from our southern border. A white Canadian here without a passport never hears the word. A white British person that snuck on a plane to get here doesn't hear it. Hell anyone else that breaks the law and could be called "an illegal" is rather called a criminal, or some other variation. It's used so specifically that hearing the phrase can only conjure up the image of a brown-skinned Spanish-speaking person, which makes it a handy code word for racist politicians that want a thin veneer of cover for targeting them.

• Guillotine 2
  • True 3

12 minutes ago, Reputator said:

It's derogatory. It's not used for anyone except undocumented people from our southern border. A white Canadian here without a passport never hears the word. A white British person that snuck on a plane to get here doesn't hear it. Hell anyone else that breaks the law and could be called "an illegal" is rather called a criminal, or some other variation. It's used so specifically that hearing the phrase can only conjure up the image of a brown-skinned Spanish-speaking person, which makes it a handy code word for racist politicians that want a thin veneer of cover for targeting them.

I'm Mexican and have known plenty of illegal Mexicans in and out of my family. Arguing over what words to use is only going to confuse people and send mixed messages. "Undocumented" "illegal" who cares. Liberals tend to get caught up in academic pedantry and it makes zero progress in bridging the gap for people who don't get why they should care about illegals/undocumented/whatever.

I don't think it matters what term to use, using the "non dog whistle" one doesn't make racists less racist and I don't think is racist in itself. 

• Like 2
  • True 1

2 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I'm Mexican and have known plenty of illegal Mexicans in and out of my family. Arguing over what words to use is only going to confuse people and send mixed messages. "Undocumented" "illegal" who cares. Liberals tend to get caught up in academic pedantry and it makes zero progress in bridging the gap for people who don't get why they should care about illegals/undocumented/whatever.

What's confusing about it? Don't use racist codewords to demean specific groups of minorities. Seems pretty cut-and-dry to me.

How does it help progress? Well, maybe by humanizing undocumented immigrants with inclusive language (words influence perception, look it up), we can change the public's willingness to understand and accept them.

Or we could just continue to demonize them.

• Guillotine 1

1 minute ago, marioandsonic said:

Guess I'm just terrible at money then.

...fuck.

No idea what your finances are like. We both make good money and live in a low cost state. We don't have kids. No medical issues. All debts have been paid off. I put 25% of my gross into my 401k, plus dump in other retirement accounts.

8 hours ago, Reputator said:

What's confusing about it? Don't use racist codewords to demean specific groups of minorities. Seems pretty cut-and-dry to me.

How does it help progress? Well, maybe by humanizing undocumented immigrants with inclusive language (words influence perception, look it up), we can change the public's willingness to understand and accept them.

Or we could just continue to demonize them.

In Spanish people say illegal all the time or they use actual really racist terms. 

10 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

Guess I'm just terrible at money then.

...fuck.

Download Stash and Acorns. With Stash you can invest in companies, and with Acorns it’s the same but it takes any change from a transaction and puts it into an investment account for you.

I started both around 2016 and I’ve got thousands saved up on both apps now. I made a killing on Netflix last year when I cashed out. 

3 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

In Spanish people say illegal all the time or they use actual really racist terms. 

There is definitely some sort of thing between the Mexicans that are already here, and the people coming across the border in 2024. Some of the worst shit I’ve ever heard about migrants came from my 2nd generation Mexican friend Sergio.

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

There is definitely some sort of thing between the Mexicans that are already here, and the people coming across the border in 2024. Some of the worst shit I’ve ever heard about migrants came from my 2nd generation Mexican friend Sergio.

But this isn't a new thing.  Fully integrated Americans generally have a negative view of those coming here (illegally or not).  100 years ago, the sentiment towards Italian immigrants was pretty dim, and those new comers were called some pretty vulgar things.  100 years later, the descendants of those Italian immigrants don't want new people coming here, because in their minds, they are undesirable.

Today's immigrants from Latin America were yesterday's immigrants from Ireland, Italy, and Russia, among other places. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

Anyone who has no issue with them closing down schools in NY to house these illegals , please I implore you to drive and pick up a family and let them stay with you. What texas was doing is disgusting just sending them on busses to NYC, Philly, etc. 

• Guillotine 1
  • Halal 1

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The deliberate confusion of asylum seekers and actual illegal/undocumented/whatever persons will never not be stupid

It's pretty cut and dry imo. If you hop the fence you're here illegally. Over stay your visa, here illegally. Float here on a door, here illegally. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The deliberate confusion of asylum seekers and actual illegal/undocumented/whatever persons will never not be stupid

Honest question. How can or how do you tell the difference between the two if everyone is just flooding in across a long border?

• True 1

9 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Honest question. How can or how do you tell the difference between the two if everyone is just flooding in across a long border?

If you ask certain people, that's totally false and there is no "flooding". BUT if you actually GO to these cities and see for yourself its pretty fucked up.  

• Guillotine 1
  • Thanks 1
  • True 2

20 minutes ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

It's pretty cut and dry imo. If you hop the fence you're here illegally. Over stay your visa, here illegally. Float here on a door, here illegally. 

The funny thing about this post is if you “float here on a door”, you likely come from Cuba which would entitle you to legal status if you got here without the coast guard picking you up. But the large migrant crossing you hear about are largely processed through legal channels. 

17 minutes ago, Biggie said:

You can’t and neither can I if you’re just looking at a person already here in the US. 

At the border though, most of these migrants come through a port of entry and are legally processed because they do want to be here legally. It could be faster but that would require congress to act (which Trump scuttled the deal to do just that, to increase the speed of adjudication of asylum claims by hiring more officers and immigration judges). And again this is deliberately confusing those who legally seek asylum, who enter through a port of entry and register with the border patrol and immigration authorities, and those who cross the border illegally. In fact, if you try to cross the border illegally you are presumed to not have a valid asylum claim. Because of this change there’s actually fewer CBP interactions with people attempting to enter illegally despite stepped up

enforcement. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

4 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The funny thing about this post is if you “float here on a door”, you likely come from Cuba which would entitle you to legal status if you got here without the coast guard picking you up. But the large migrant crossing you hear about are largely processed through legal channels. 

“Pretty cut and dry.”

And yet the anger at the border is anger over legal immigration. There’s nothing sneaky about telling reporters on your march toward America that you hope for a better life there.

Asylum seeking is legal. And Trump killed a border bill Biden was ready to sign. 

5 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

No one will or can hate a Mexican as much as another Mexican. 

I say this as a Mexican, dual citizen, ESL class first gen kid. 

4 hours ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

These people didn't do any of that you moron. 

4 hours ago, Biggie said:

Asylum seekers don't cross illegally. Why do you think TX moved them instead of deporting them? We accepted them and then are using them as political pawns. It's fucked up. They got in line at the border and did paperwork and waited and were let in. 

• True 1

6 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

These people didn't do any of that you moron. 

Asylum seekers don't cross illegally. Why do you think TX moved them instead of deporting them? We accepted them and then are using them as political pawns. It's fucked up. They got in line at the border and did paperwork and waited and were let in. 

Screenshot_20240310_144810_Twitter.jpg

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

If the US passed a law saying that all immigration was legal...the exact same people would be mad at all the newly-legal immigration, just as they are with the illegal immigration. It's not about the legality, it's about the brown people.

That's probably 90% true 

1 hour ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

That's probably 90% true 

It’s 100% true.  There are plenty of interviews of chuds where they say the problem is people coming here illegally and they should go through the process, then when asked if we should make the process easier the answer is a hard no.

15 hours ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

That's probably 90% true 

It’s 100% true.

I forget which comedian made the joke, but no conservative would be against people crossing the southern border if Sweden was down there instead of Mexico.

• Haha 1
  • True 1