Update (03/04): Yuzu effectively surrenders without a fight, agrees to pay Nintendo $2.4 million and discontinues emulator

Jason

22 minutes ago, AshsToAshs said:

The fact that both Nintendo and Tropic Haze are now asking the judge to say yes to following feels weird:

(that's taken from the verge article linked above)

This is tinfoil hat conspiracy talk, but that very much feels like Nintendo is telling Tropic Haze to go along with requesting this statement in exchange for not having to get sued for a harsher fine.

EDIT: also, if the judge goes along with that statement, then every "bring your own BIOS" emulator is now going to less legal.

Taking the smaller L now instead of the bigger L at trial is 95% of lawyering.  There is no tin foil hat required, that’s just the system working as intended.  

On 2/27/2024 at 10:42 PM, crispy4000 said:

So I'm thinking of downloading Yuzu for the first time now, just in case some shit goes down.

Thanks Nintendo.

On 2/28/2024 at 12:59 AM, Bacon said:

I just did an hour ago lol

:twothumbsup:

Funny how some of the exact same people who act all sad when these game studios have to lay off 900 of their staff are the same people who enjoy playing games like this for free. Basically taking money right out of their pockets by not paying for the product. Again irony at its best. 

• Haha 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

9 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Funny how some of the exact same people who act all sad when these game studios have to lay off 900 of their staff are the same people who enjoy playing games like this for free. Basically taking money right out of their pockets by not paying for the product. Again irony at its best. 

Vague accusations that people belong to two groups are not particularly helpful. Name names if you got em! I certainly don't pirate games. I do, however, emulate old games purchased in the past and have considered emulating modern games I legally purchased.

Layoffs aren’t always correlated to lower revenue/sales. Activision reported record year of revenue and profit with layoffs in the same earning calls in the past. Let’s not generalize layoffs. 

9 minutes ago, legend said:

Vague accusations that people belong to two groups are not particularly helpful. Name names if you got em! I certainly don't pirate games. I do, however, emulate old games purchased in the past and have considered emulating modern games I legally purchased.

I don’t recall one person on this forum that emulates pirated games. 

46 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Very interesting that one thing happens and yet an unrelated thing also happens.

2 hours ago, ShreddieMercury said:

How can big bad Nintendo keep getting away with all of the bullying?

Also interesting that you didn’t address any of the posts in response to your silliness. 

10 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Also interesting that you didn’t address any of the posts in response to your silliness. 

It's curious indeed.  I don't really have much else to say!  Yuzu only seems useful for people wanting to play commercially available Nintendo games at higher resolutions on different platforms, or pirates.  It's beyond me that there is somehow surprise or consternation that Nintendo is going after Yuzu's highly profitable operation, which at this stage doesn't seem to have any kind of virtuous aim like digital preservation, consumer protection, etc.  People are free to disagree.

2 minutes ago, ShreddieMercury said:

It's curious indeed.  I don't really have much else to say!  Yuzu only seems useful for people wanting to play commercially available Nintendo games at higher resolutions on different platforms, or pirates.  It's beyond me that there is somehow surprise or consternation that Nintendo is going after Yuzu's highly profitable operation, which at this stage doesn't seem to have any kind of virtuous aim like digital preservation, consumer protection, etc.  People are free to disagree.

There was zero surprise at the move, and the consternation is from reasons you are choosing not to address. Maybe cuz you probably agree on some level I dunno why. That’s the weird part. 

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

It’s my right not to address it. Just like it’s your right to use emulators. 
:pratt:

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Layoffs aren’t always correlated to lower revenue/sales. Activision reported record year of revenue and profit with layoffs in the same earning calls in the past. Let’s not generalize layoffs. 

I don’t recall one person on this forum that emulates pirated games. 

Well it certainly doesn’t help with layoffs. 

Hhhmmmm, not one person? Think reaaaaaaal hard. Take your time. 

3 hours ago, Biggie said:

You’re probably not too far off the mark, but making the Switch ecosystem healthier isn’t going to give people from Sony/EA/Microsoft/Embracer/etc their jobs back.  Two largely unrelated problems.

4 hours ago, Biggie said:

Playing very old, frequently unavailable or hard to find games, often made by developers and publishers that no longer exist who wouldn't get any of the money from someone buying the game as a resale from someone on Ebay or Amazon anyway, has very little to do with the layoffs currently in the industry. No one is emulating FF7 Rebirth. This isn't a very good argument against emulation. 

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Well it certainly doesn’t help with layoffs. 

Hhhmmmm, not one person? Think reaaaaaaal hard. Take your time. 

Piracy is rarely brought up in earning calls as a business issue. I don’t think it has any real merit when it comes to layoffs for companies like Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, etc. 

Can’t think of anyone on the boards

:shrug:

10 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Playing very old, frequently unavailable or hard to find games, often made by developers and publishers that no longer exist who wouldn't get any of the money from someone buying the game as a resale from someone on Ebay or Amazon anyway, has very little to do with the layoffs currently in the industry. No one is emulating FF7 Rebirth. This isn't a very good argument against emulation. 

Well apparently the courts don’t agree with you. 

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

Well apparently the courts don’t agree with you. 

That has nothing to do with the current layoffs wrecking the industry that you mentioned, and being pro-emulation has little to do with it. Not sure how the courts disagree when this case was settled, not decided. 

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

That has nothing to do with the current layoffs wrecking the industry that you mentioned, and being pro-emulation has little to do with it. Not sure how the courts disagree when this case was settled, not decided. 

K

17 hours ago, Biggie said:

Layoffs at Sony, Microsoft and EA have very little to do with Yuzu.

They have a whole lot to do with overinvestment in game development, and poor decisions in project scoping.

11 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Layoffs at Sony, Microsoft and EA have very little to do with Yuzu.

They have a whole lot to do with overinvestment in game development, and poor decisions in project scoping.

A lot of you have pointed this out. It’s probably true. But regardless emulators aren’t good for anyone in the video game business. 

A lot of you have pointed this out. It’s probably true. But regardless emulators aren’t good for anyone in the video game business. 

Is that why Nintendo emulates their own games for their Nintendo online? Because they are bad?

• True 1

You're going to have to do a lot more work to argue that. Even with piracy specifically there can be surprising positive benefits on their market and emulators actually have a wide scope of acceptable usage beyond piracy.

• True 1