Update (03/04): Yuzu effectively surrenders without a fight, agrees to pay Nintendo $2.4 million and discontinues emulator

Jason

You know, I normally get worried about stuff like this. But some part of me knows Yuzu has been huge and has had a steady flow of income for years, so I'd like to say to Nintendo: "Good luck with that." If the Yuzu devs actually take this to court instead of instantly caving (which I think is what Nintendo is hoping for) then I don't think Nintendo has a fucking leg to stand on, and would get humiliated. Would the Yuzu team go to court? I don't know, but they should, would be fun to watch Nintendo set legal precedent that they fucking suck.

It all comes down to what the Yuzu folks do. People act like winning this kind of thing is impossible, but it's not. It's just expensive. And that's why you sue for legal costs! Yes yes, all easier said than done, but again, Yuzu's steady income over the years has me at least somewhat hopeful they say "fuck off Nintendo, we're calling your bluff."

5 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

You know, I normally get worried about stuff like this. But some part of me knows Yuzu has been huge and has had a steady flow of income for years, so I'd like to say to Nintendo: "Good luck with that." If the Yuzu devs actually take this to court instead of instantly caving (which I think is what Nintendo is hoping for) then I don't think Nintendo has a fucking leg to stand on, and would get humiliated. Would the Yuzu team go to court? I don't know, but they should, would be fun to watch Nintendo set legal precedent that they fucking suck.

It all comes down to what the Yuzu folks do. People act like winning this kind of thing is impossible, but it's not. It's just expensive. And that's why you sue for legal costs! Yes yes, all easier said than done, but again, Yuzu's steady income over the years has me at least somewhat hopeful they say "fuck off Nintendo, we're calling your bluff."

Yeah I don't see how Nintendo wins this if they go to court could really backfire on them.

5 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Having a patreon that unlocks builds is skirting the line a bit.  No idea if they could legally go after them for that.  The emulator itself could be squeaky clean but they’re still using the Switch ecosystem to make money essentially.  But hopefully you’re right.

15 minutes ago, Biggie said:

They gave plenty of notice. I got everything I wanted. Do better. 

Without emulation/modding, it's now impossible to play some of these games if you missed that window.  Cherry on top, only Capcom had the gall to do decent going-away discounts.

Nothing you say won't make the whole thing dumb.

• True 1

23 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Without emulation/modding, it's now impossible to play some of these games if you missed that window.  Cherry on top, only Capcom had the gall to do decent going-away discounts.

Nothing you say won't make the whole thing dumb.

Let’s not pretend that these things are out there for the poor gamers who missed out on a window for certain games. It’s there so people can pirate/steal/ and play games for free without paying a dime. Nothing you say will make the whole thing sound innocent. 

• True 1

28 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Let’s not pretend that these things are out there for the poor gamers who missed out on a window for certain games. It’s there so people can pirate/steal/ and play games for free without paying a dime. Nothing you say will make the whole thing sound innocent. 

Yes that’s the deal, same with console modding.  I won’t pretend otherwise.  Even though preservation is a part of that.  Same with it being a fail safe if your console dies, as has happened with quite a number of Wii U’s.

It does not negate the fact that they need to treat their consumers better.  They prefer to go after pirates than discount and preserve.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Yes that’s the deal, same with console modding.  I won’t pretend otherwise.

It does not negate the fact that they need to treat their consumers better.  They prefer to go after pirates than discount and preserve.

It’s not their responsibility to provide you with discounts or make games available for eternity. 

• True 1

32 minutes ago, Biggie said:

If their games were on Steam, emulators wouldn't be a thing. Since emulators have been found legal over-and-over, no one should feel bad about buying a Switch cartridge and then emulating the game.

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If their games were on Steam, emulators wouldn't be a thing. Since emulators have been found legal over-and-over, no one should feel bad about buying a Switch cartridge and then emulating the game.

I don’t feel bad for them. They are rolling in money. 

6 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’m a Nintendo fan boy. So my opinion is slanted for sure. 

I take issue because I’m a fan.

Let’s put this another way: If they doubled or tripled the price of their online subscriptions overnight, would you say it’s not their responsibility to make it affordable?

• Halal 1

Just now, crispy4000 said:

Let’s put this another way: If they doubled the price of their online subscriptions, would you say it’s not their responsibility to make it affordable?

Yes. Companies raise prices all the time. Look at inflation. I buy groceries and I’m paying double now basically. I’m the consumer. You weigh the pros/cons of making a purchase. Don’t think it’s worth your money? Don’t buy it. Can’t afford it? Don’t buy it. It may be cold but it’s life. 

32 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Yes. Companies raise prices all the time. Look at inflation. I buy groceries and I’m paying double now basically. I’m the consumer. You weigh the pros/cons of making a purchase. Don’t think it’s worth your money? Don’t buy it. Can’t afford it? Don’t buy it. It may be cold but it’s life. 

It’s true that you always have that choice as someone who purchases entertainment.  (And less of a choice as someone who needs groceries)

That said, I don’t think any of these companies plan to keep their online subscriptions in line with inflation.  With subscription bases tapped, their responsibility to the shareholders is to squeeze us for more of what they can.

Where I take issue with Nintendo’s game pricing is that I can’t afford to be a fan of theirs like I once was.  Even when my gaming budget and income has changed for the better.  That simply can’t be chalked up to inflation, but to Nintendo not discounting in the way they once did.  And yes, I buy a ton more games elsewhere as a result.  I am voting with my wallet.

At least with console pricing, there’s material forces that dictate them staying close to full price these days.  The games?  Nintendo is largely alone in their discount policy.  Even Rockstar games see deeper discounts years in. 

Yeah, I don't really understand emulating games that are still commercially available.  I'm so thankful to be able to emulate games that are no longer playable or purchasable on any service, but having an emulator for a current generation system where surely the majority of all uses are purely for piracy seems strange.  Nobody is entitled to Nintendo games on PC, it's such a weird discussion.

• True 2
  • Halal 1

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Having a patreon that unlocks builds is skirting the line a bit.  No idea if they could legally go after them for that.  The emulator itself could be squeaky clean but they’re still using the Switch ecosystem to make money essentially.  But hopefully you’re right.

I think this is really what it comes down to, so not as black and white as other emulators. People are paying, specifically, for access to support for games that very recently came out. Nintendo hasn't really gone after, like, Dolphin, but Dolphin also isn't charging. It would be interesting because, like, Bleem never actually lost in court.

11 minutes ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Yeah, I don't really understand emulating games that are still commercially available.  I'm so thankful to be able to emulate games that are no longer playable or purchasable on any service, but having an emulator for a current generation system where surely the majority of all uses are purely for piracy seems strange.  Nobody is entitled to Nintendo games on PC, it's such a weird discussion.

I’d argue that the desire to do so largely stems from the desire for a Switch Pro model that never materialized.

And now that there’s viable dedicated handheld PCs out there, I think Nintendo’s stewing.

48 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Let’s put this another way: If they doubled or tripled the price of their online subscriptions overnight, would you say it’s not their responsibility to make it affordable?

A company decides where to price their product, and you get to decide whether that cost is worth it to you.  Nobody forces you to buy anything.  Nintendo doesn't have any sort of "responsibility" just because you don't like it.

• True 2

26 minutes ago, ShreddieMercury said:

A company decides where to price their product, and you get to decide whether that cost is worth it to you.  Nobody forces you to buy anything.  Nintendo doesn't have any sort of "responsibility" just because you don't like it.

Their responsibility is to make money, yes.  I buy less of their games as a result of them getting too greedy this gen, so in that respect, they’re losing me.  I’m aware I’m probably an outlier considering the records they’re shattering.

The question I have is if their pricing policies will ever come back to bite them in future generations.  Switch 2 can’t rely on monopolizing the handheld space in the same way.  They’re not in a bad position by any means, but it’s telling people this is what they’re about, when the future is subscription leaning. And where so many other libraries (with more reasonable discounts) can now be carried with you portably.

They also have a responsibility to stay relevant in this environment.  I look forward to seeing their case for that.

45 minutes ago, ShreddieMercury said:

Great post