SEGA Developing New Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Shinobi and More [Trailer]

Keyser_Soze

17 minutes ago, stepee said:

This is better than what I thought - I feared it would be some weird nft grift or some shit. This just looks like real ass new entries in classic Sega franchises. Best part of the show for me. Hype.

Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio games looked solid.

The rest... eh... the Golden Axe game looked suspect.  Feels like Sega probably trotted most of these out too early.

40 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio games looked solid.

The rest... eh... the Golden Axe game looked suspect.  Feels like Sega probably trotted most of these out too early.

The other three actually made me more excited lol - I think they are in the right direction here stylistically.

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They are being cheeky about it but the people working on that Shinobi game are the devs that did Streets of Rage 4

spacer.png

Okay, that makes me much more hyped now.  I thought Shinobi looked alright, but maybe not quite as fun looking as the Double Helix one. (nevermind, that’s Stryder )

Shinobi looks pretty awesome. As does Jet Set Radio. Actually they all look pretty dope, just those two in particular caught my eye.

Still waiting on Skies of Arcadia. Not necessarily a sequel, but a remake could be all kinds of awesome. Better graphics, fully orchestrated soundtrack, all the extra stuff from the Gamecube version (and maybe even more?)…oh yeah. Sign me up.

• Like 1

Here's a Variety article with and an interview with Utsumi

VARIETY.COM

Sega is eyeing new movies and rebooting a handful of retro franchises including Crazy Taxi, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Jet Set Radio and Shinobi.

Beyond the five reboots announced, Utsumi says there are additional projects Sega is currently evaluating but has “not yet greenlit.” While nailing down specific release dates for the new Crazy Taxi, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Jet Set Radio and Shinobi games is a long way away, Utsumi estimates that the earliest reboot will arrive “in the range of two years.”

The reboots will feature all-new gameplay, and Utsumi promises they will appeal to both those who played the original titles and younger gamers who grew up clutching an iPad. The Sega COO, who also serves as CEO of Sega of America, said the company was inspired to mine its own IP from the ’80s, ’90s and early 2000s because it believes gaming’s footprint in mainstream culture is growing.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

The former games console maker is reviving “Crazy Taxi,” “Shinobi,” “Golden Axe,” “Streets of Rage” and “Jet Set Radio.”

@Commissar SFLUFAN ‘s favorite critic asked about Virtua Fighter..sounds like they are at least thinking about it @Mr.Vic20 

• Hype 3

9 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

The annoying thing about the idea of a new Crazy Taxi is that with today's tech, the city could be gigantic with randomly generated destinations, thus reducing the repetiveness, but you know it won't lol.

Can't wait to go to KFC five times in a row.

The idea of the game isn't going to new destinations over and over it's memorizing the destinations so you can get there faster and keep your run going.

57 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Sega has been really supportive of games pass so perhaps they all release day one there.

More like Xbox has been really supportive of Sega.

It's interesting because these "small" games like Streets of Rage, Shinobi, Golden Axe, etc are the opposite of what big publishers want nowadays. I wouldn't be surprised if they do pop onto Game Pass day one, and I also wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft partially funded their development. 

Pure speculation on my part, but MS and Sega have been pretty cozy with each other ever since those photos popped up making it look like MS was gonna buy them.

• Halal 2