Sony slings out another Spider-Man spin off with Madame Web

TwinIon

Apparently filming for this finished last year, and it will be releasing next year, which I don't think is a great sign.

The trailer doesn't give me any hope that Sony is again capable of making good, live action, comic book movies. I'd also never even heard of this character before, so I'm guessing this won't have a ton of built in brand recognition. Still, Sony made pretty good money with two terrible Venom movies.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Who the devil is "Madame Web"?!?

She's a frequent supporting character in Spider-Man stories who is a mutant with several very powerful psychic abilities. She also suffered a disease for a long time in the comics that basically made her an invalid, but since part of her psychic abilities includes being clairvoyant and astral projection, that's how she would get around. She was eventually cured at some point but I believe she remains blind still. She also has some crazy spider-web-like life support chair thing that she is cybernetically connected to that takes care of her. So yeah I have no idea what the movie will adapt or not. 

Edit: Legend's picture says it all. :p 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, legend said:

Don't tell me you all don't remember her!

MV5BYzM1Y2Q0YmYtNDJhZi00OGZjLTliMTQtNjky

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

She's a frequent supporting character in Spider-Man stories who is a mutant with several very powerful psychic abilities. She also suffered a disease for a long time in the comics that basically made her an invalid, but since part of her psychic abilities includes being clairvoyant and astral projection, that's how she would get around. She was eventually cured at some point but I believe she remains blind still. She also has some crazy spider-wed-like life support chair thing that she is cybernetically connected to that takes care of her. So yeah I have no idea what the movie will adapt or not. 

I still have absolutely no idea who this person is and now I deeply regret that I even posed the question :p

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

From the writers of Gods of Egypt,  Morbius, and Dracula Untold. Obviously, a winning team.

Yeah, that writing duo has always been trash. Hard to say who actually wrote it though since it hasn't released yet. IMDb doesn't make it clear and doesn't often know until guild credits release for the film. That being said, they are attached, along with a TV director who has never done a feature film before. I can't imagine good things from that.

What's interesting is since I checked it when the trailer dropped this morning, IMDb has changed its credited writers on the film, that duo isn't listed at all now. Now it has one female "story by" credit and then the director has a "screenplay by" writing credit with another female co-screenwriter. Given this has what looks like a stacked young female cast: Dakota Johnson, Sydney Sweeney, Isabela Merced, Celeste O'Connor and Emma Roberts, it makes sense to have the writers and directors be women compared to that male writing duo.

18 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Yeah, that writing duo has always been trash. Hard to say who actually wrote it though since it hasn't released yet. IMDb doesn't make it clear and doesn't often know until guild credits release for the film. That being said, they are attached, along with a TV director who has never done a feature film before. I can't imagine good things from that.

What's interesting is since I checked it when the trailer dropped this morning, IMDb has changed its credited writers on the film, that duo isn't listed at all now. Now it has one female "story by" credit and then the director has a "screenplay by" writing credit with another female co-screenwriter. Given this has what looks like a stacked young female cast: Dakota Johnson, Sydney Sweeney, Isabela Merced, Celeste O'Connor and Emma Roberts, it makes sense to have the writers and directors be women compared to that male writing duo.

If they aren't really attached and this was an IMDB mistake, that's much better, even if I still have no hope for this movie. There are just very few that exemplifies the "successful" mediocre white men of Hollywood better than those two.

• Halal 1

On 11/15/2023 at 5:44 PM, Ghost_MH said:

If they aren't really attached and this was an IMDB mistake, that's much better, even if I still have no hope for this movie. There are just very few that exemplifies the "successful" mediocre white men of Hollywood better than those two.

Yeah, there are a number of terrible mediocre white men writing duos (or writing solo) for Hollywood blockbusters out there, Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless being one of them. There's also Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman, Zak Penn, Simon Kinberg, Ehren Kruger, David S. Goyer, Chris Terrio, Adam Cooper & Bill Collage, and Art Marcum & Matt Holloway, just to name a few that are responsible for a number of bad franchise blockbusters. But they write what the producers and studios want (often the bare minimum while maximizing profits) so they all keep getting hired.

I mean, if people who seem to know how to write for a franchise ultimately get fired, is there any hope? Chris Morgan, who solely wrote Fast & Furious films 3 thru 8 (and Hobbs & Shaw) has been fired and not involved with 9 or 10 (probably because Vin Diesel was pissed about Hobbs & Shaw being made and angry at Chris Morgan for writing it?). There's also Derek Kolstad, who solely wrote the first two John Wick films, then solely wrote the story and co-wrote the screenplay for John Wick 3 with three others before getting fired as well and had no part in John Wick 4 (after initially being attached to The Continental TV show spin-off also, which he was ultimately booted off of too - the final show has his name nowhere in the credits). Chris Morgan has gone on to co-write Shazam 2 and that's it. Derek Kolstad has gone on to write Nobody (with Bob Odenkirk) and that's it. Both are attached to a lot of movies in pre-production but who knows.

• 2 months later...
On 11/15/2023 at 5:44 PM, Ghost_MH said:

So the movie is out and it is, unfortunately, primarily written by Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless (co-story credits and co-screenplay credits). Letting the guys who wrote Dracula Untold, The Last Witch Hunter, Gods of Egypt and Morbius to write this movie doomed this from the start. Hiring journeyman director S.J. Clarkson didn't help. Hiring a female director was a good move but someone who has never directed a feature film before (just episodes of various TV shows)? Usually doesn't turn out well. And to the surprise of no one, the film is apparently terrible, it's already getting eviscerated by critics. Being worse than the two decent Venom movies is no surprise, but could this be worse than Morbius?

WWW.ROTTENTOMATOES.COM

In a switch from the typical genre, Madame Web tells the standalone origin story of one of Marvel publishing's most enigmatic heroines. The suspense-driven thriller stars Dakota Johnson as Cassandra Webb, a paramedic in Manhattan who develops the power to see the future... and realizes she can use that insight to change it. Forced to...

33 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

So the movie is out and it is, unfortunately, primarily written by Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless (co-story credits and co-screenplay credits). Letting the guys who wrote Dracula Untold, The Last Witch Hunter, Gods of Egypt and Morbius to write this movie doomed this from the start. Hiring journeyman director S.J. Clarkson didn't help. Hiring a female director was a good move but someone who has never directed a feature film before (just episodes of various TV shows)? Usually doesn't turn out well. And to the surprise of no one, the film is apparently terrible, it's already getting eviscerated by critics. Being worse than the two decent Venom movies is no surprise, but could this be worse than Morbius?

WWW.ROTTENTOMATOES.COM

In a switch from the typical genre, Madame Web tells the standalone origin story of one of Marvel publishing's most enigmatic heroines. The suspense-driven thriller stars Dakota Johnson as Cassandra Webb, a paramedic in...

I am shocked this did not work out. Just shocked.

• Haha 1

I'm kinda-sorta tempted to watch Morbius just because Matt Smith apparently chewed a ton of scenery. I remember reading something like he was the only one who understood what kind of movie they were making and actually had fun doing it.

32 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

What is Sony’s obsession with taking Spider-Man’s least interesting characters and making movies about them?

Morbius? Madame Web? What’s next, a Liz Allen movie?

Don't give them any ideas. 

33 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

What is Sony’s obsession with taking Spider-Man’s least interesting characters and making movies about them?

Morbius? Madame Web? What’s next, a Liz Allen movie?

None of these characters are the problem. Sony not caring about the properties and tossing them over the least creative writers that can reliably throw a script together over a single weekend, quality be damned, is the problem.

• Haha 1
  • Halal 2