Sony slings out another Spider-Man spin off with Madame Web

TwinIon

7 hours ago, Jason said:

I'm kinda-sorta tempted to watch Morbius just because Matt Smith apparently chewed a ton of scenery. I remember reading something like he was the only one who understood what kind of movie they were making and actually had fun doing it.

I didn't think it was all that bad actually. I just think people wanted to hate on it for the memes.

5 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

None of these characters are the problem. Sony not caring about the properties and tossing them over the least creative writers that can reliably throw a script together over a single weekend, quality be damned, is the problem.

Oh no, it’s the characters.

Morbius is boring no matter the medium, and I forgot Madam Web even existed outside of the cartoon from the 90s.

It actually wasn't that bad.....*ducks to avoid rocks being thrown* at least not as bad as the RT score would lead you to believe. no, seriously. Was it an actual good movie? No, probably not. But was it good in the context of live action Sony only superhero flicks? ehh..yeah I guess. I liked it more than Morbius or Venom 2. (granted those are high bars to hurdle) I loved Carnage in the comics, but that movie was an abomination. 

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Who hurt you? It's going to be okay.

All of us...some of us...a few of us...at least one of us went through the mall ninja, and spent all their allowance on ninja stars, period. As soon as you recognize that Carnage is just edge lord mall ninja weaponry, he makes sense.

I did NOT say he's any good. Just that he makes sense.

5 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

:lol: I should say I loved his early days, you rarely see a pure unrestrained psycho on the loose. I have no idea what they've done with the character since around the maximum carnage storyline. 

I liked 

Spoiler

Spider-Man 2 game spoilers

Spoiler

They have a cool cultist version going in the game. He’s crazy but he’s also a thinker/strategist with the cult he has and the many aliases he has. Should find out more later this year with the free Carnage DLC story coming out

11 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

It actually wasn't that bad.....*ducks to avoid rocks being thrown* at least not as bad as the RT score would lead you to believe. no, seriously. Was it an actual good movie? No, probably not. But was it good in the context of live action Sony only superhero flicks? ehh..yeah I guess. I liked it more than Morbius or Venom 2. (granted those are high bars to hurdle) I loved Carnage in the comics, but that movie was an abomination. 

Ok, but how about compared to any other live action superhero movies? Or, if you insist upon a Sony comparison, include their Spider-man movies. I'm guessing it's no Spider-man 2, but how about the Amazing Spider-man films.

7 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Ok, but how about compared to any other live action superhero movies? Or, if you insist upon a Sony comparison, include their Spider-man movies. I'm guessing it's no Spider-man 2, but how about the Amazing Spider-man films.

can't really compare it to the Spider-man flicks because those are on an entirely different level, and I actually liked the Amazing Spider-man films (2 much less than 1 obviously) 

Carnage: “because we killed so many of Spider-Man’s rogue gallery over the years so we decided he basically needed his version of the Joker.”

Maximum Carnage and the Clone Saga were some of the biggest disasters of the 90s.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, MarSolo said:

Carnage: “because we killed so many of Spider-Man’s rogue gallery over the years so we decided he basically needed his version of the Joker.”

Maximum Carnage and the Clone Saga were some of the biggest disasters of the 90s.

Seriously… How did they manage to screw up Symbiotes so badly…. dragged a very simple story to 10+ issues without telling any actual story.. just crap fights and reject characters on both sides

9 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

Seriously… How did they manage to screw up Symbiotes so badly…. dragged a very simple story to 10+ issues without telling any actual story.. just crap fights and reject characters on both sides

IGN had it on their list of best Spider-Man stories, and THAT was the moment I stopped caring about IGN’s opinions.

• 2 weeks later...

This movie is not good, but some of the reactions feel pretty overblown to me. It’s like 5-10% worse than your typical bad blockbuster, not “worst movie in years” material. My biggest knocks against it (beyond the typical weak script/filmmaking):

-This entire Sony plan of making Spider-Man-adjacent movies without naming Spider-Man/Peter Parker reaches peak absurdity in this one. I almost wish they had just leaned into it and made it more of a comedy, but most of the (intentional) comedic beats in the movie are bad, so that probably wouldn’t have worked either.  And since it’s spending a lot of time trying to launch a new franchise that will almost certainly not happen, you’re constantly asking “why is any of this happening?”

-A charismatic lead will go a long a long way towards smoothing out the rough edges in a movie like this. If Venom works at all, it’s because Tom Hardy is clearly fully committed. Dakota Johnson is just sleepwalking through almost every scene, which is unfortunate when half of her lines are variations of “this is the craziest thing that’s ever happened”.