The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

42 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I think parts of Rebels are emotional. I thought Luke’s sacrifice in TLJ was emotional. :shrug:

It was a great bit sure... but are there really a lot of tear jerky moments in the Star Wars franchise? Nah... the series isn't even TRYING to do that. It has always been a swashbuckling space fantasy. "Fans" have made it bigger in their heads than what it actually is. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It was a great bit sure... but are there really a lot of tear jerky moments in the Star Wars franchise? Nah... the series isn't even TRYING to do that. It has always been a swashbuckling space fantasy. "Fans" have made it bigger in their heads than what it actually is. 

Star Wars No GIF

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I liked this episode too but what was the Rebels reference? I really need to watch these shows at some point. Aren't you supposed to watch Clone Wars out of order?

Definitely watch Rebels. It's chronological so you don't have to jump around like with clone wars.

The reference is the spider creatures. They show up in a later Rebels season.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Yeah I really really enjoyed that episode.  I can not overstate how much I LOVE that Baby Yoda appears to be 90% puppet vs CGI.  30 years later and 80's esque puppets still give off a way better feel than modern CGI

EIumAHuWsAE7bOE?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 2

On 11/7/2020 at 11:25 AM, TheLeon said:

My “defense” of this show is that I just like Star Wars. If it looks and sounds like Star Wars, and everything else (acting, writing, etc.) is at least competent, I’m going to enjoy it. 

I think that's my problem... I think too much damage has been done to the Star Wars brand in my head.

Star Wars was my entire childhood, I grew up on that stuff. I was a total mega fan... but pretty much everything that's happened to the franchise since 1999 has worked to just chisel away all of the good feeling I associate with the brand.

It hasn't all been bad. The prequels were... really that bad. The new trilogy was great, okay and terrible... all at the same time... all three movies hit all those bullet points at various points... it was just sloppy and all over the place. Didn't bring back the warm fuzzies... because they started so far down in the hole.

Whatever, I don't want to yuck everyone's yum as they say. I'm glad people are liking this. I enjoyed watching seasons one with my kids and they LOVED it, so there is that. We'll watch season 2 once they get a few more episodes in the can. I need to turn Disney+ back on.

OOOOOH MY FUCK

EPISODE THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA THAT WAS SO WONDERFUL.

Spoiler

Seeing Bo Katan Kryze was fucking awesome. And it's the actress that voiced her in Rebels and Clone Wars! 

The best part was the new conflict of Kryze vs. Djarin in their, for lack of a better term, religious beliefs. I'm familiar with Kryze's character development in CW and Rebels so I know her background and her beliefs and stuff... And seeing that collide with Djarin's "way" and the depth that meeting provides was just so cool. 

Seeing the markings of her helmet immediately brought me ALL the way in. That familiarity that CW and Rebels presented is completely paid off here. And knowing her goal is to get the Darksaber back from Moff Gideon is going to set up SUCH a good end to the season. 

Man that was good. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CayceG said:

OOOOOH MY FUCK

EPISODE THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA THAT WAS SO WONDERFUL.

Hide contents

Seeing Bo Katan Kryze was fucking awesome. And it's the actress that voiced her in Rebels and Clone Wars! 

The best part was the new conflict of Kryze vs. Djarin in their, for lack of a better term, religious beliefs. I'm familiar with Kryze's character development in CW and Rebels so I know her background and her beliefs and stuff... And seeing that collide with Djarin's "way" and the depth that meeting provides was just so cool. 

Seeing the markings of her helmet immediately brought me ALL the way in. That familiarity that CW and Rebels presented is completely paid off here. And knowing her goal is to get the Darksaber back from Moff Gideon is going to set up SUCH a good end to the season. 

Man that was good. 

Spoiler

The Filoni was strong with this episode.

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

But... that's how "this type of show" was done for decades before Netflix changed the game.

And it sucked 

Until Netfilx, I had never finished a TV show. The first show I finished that came out on a weekly basis was Spartacus. The second was GoT. Those are the only two shows I have finished that came out weekly. Also, the video game quality this show has really does suck in a weekly format. It is like saying you can only play one level of a video game a week. Like, you can only play 1-1 of Mario this week and have to wait until next week to play 1-2. Or like you can only fight one boss a week in Dark Souls or something. 

4 hours ago, Bacon said:

And it sucked 

Until Netfilx, I had never finished a TV show. The first show I finished that came out on a weekly basis was Spartacus. The second was GoT. Those are the only two shows I have finished that came out weekly. Also, the video game quality this show has really does suck in a weekly format. It is like saying you can only play one level of a video game a week. Like, you can only play 1-1 of Mario this week and have to wait until next week to play 1-2. Or like you can only fight one boss a week in Dark Souls or something. 

How old are you?

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

How old are you?

And I'll say this just incase. GoT or Spartacus did not feel like I was only allowed to play one level a week. The Mandalorian does because it literally feels like I am watching a video game turned into a show. No other show really feels like this. Which is why this show over all others would really benefit from being all out at once. 

7 minutes ago, Bacon said:

And I'll say this just incase. GoT or Spartacus did not feel like I was only allowed to play one level a week. The Mandalorian does because it literally feels like I am watching a video game turned into a show. No other show really feels like this. Which is why this show over all others would really benefit from being all out at once. 

Let's just say I disagree and leave it at that... You do Have the option of waiting until all the episodes release and watching them that way if you think the show would work better binging it. Aside from the star Wars license, Mandalorian is a pretty straightforward western tyope show... the kind that's been made since motion pictures have been a thing. It's not really that revolutionary at all from a narrative standpoint :shrug:

Video game stories have some pretty straight parallels to old serialized shows. 

"Go to X and get Y" is a video game thing, but it becomes storytelling when Z is at X trying to get Y and your purposes are different than theirs. That's conflict. Conflict makes for good gaming storylines, just like it made for good Gunsmoke episodes. 

7 hours ago, Bacon said:

This may have already been posted in here, but here it is again...

mandalorian_topimage.jpg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

It’s time for another armor upgrade, then a fetch quest!