The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

4 hours ago, CayceG said:

I'm not even sure Boba Fett is really a Mandalorian by creed. I think he's just some bitch-ass pretender wearing a suit of armor. 

Well... Mandalorian by creed is a new thing for this show. It certainly WAS a race at some point. And assuming that some members of Death Watch were involved in Mando's rescue when he was a kid, the creed would be new for them, too... they took their helmets off, they were terrorists who didn't really give a shit about foundlings, etc.

There's still a lot of space between what we know of Mandalore from the cartoons to what we're seeing in this specific crop of Mandalorians by creed.

20 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Well... Mandalorian by creed is a new thing for this show. It certainly WAS a race at some point. And assuming that some members of Death Watch were involved in Mando's rescue when he was a kid, the creed would be new for them, too... they took their helmets off, they were terrorists who didn't really give a shit about foundlings, etc.

There's still a lot of space between what we know of Mandalore from the cartoons to what we're seeing in this specific crop of Mandalorians by creed.

I recall in legends the origins of Mandalorians were that it was a culture, I guess creed in a way. As many races were “Mandalorians”. Similar to this mercenary guild Mando used to belong to. Over the thousands of years it would seem they were treated more like a race, as it seemed they had become almost entirely human, and stayed that way. That was legends at least, so who knows what they’ll do for official canon. 

id love to get some old republic shows/movies that explore the origins of the Mandalorians, the republic itself, the Jedi, and the Sith. They did in legends, but I don’t think canon has explored it yet. 

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I recall in legends the origins of Mandalorians were that it was a culture, I guess creed in a way. As many races were “Mandalorians”. Similar to this mercenary guild Mando used to belong to. Over the thousands of years it would seem they were treated more like a race, as it seemed they had become almost entirely human, and stayed that way. That was legends at least, so who knows what they’ll do for official canon. 

id love to get some old republic shows/movies that explore the origins of the Mandalorians, the republic itself, the Jedi, and the Sith. They did in legends, but I don’t think canon has explored it yet. 

Yeah, fair enough.

Mando not recognizing the force when he saw it was a pretty big tell that he wasn't super familiar with long-term Mandalorian history; as the armorer said, Mandalorian beef with the Jedi is pretty well established. The goalposts they needed to kick through were pretty narrow, with one side being, "it's against my religion to give up a weapon," to, "uh what this thing moves stuff with his mind," but they pulled it off I think.

Death Watch are also well established shitbirds. Maybe this group is part of the Mandalore resistance? Who knows.

On 12/29/2019 at 9:33 AM, CayceG said:

I'm not even sure Boba Fett is really a Mandalorian by creed. I think he's just some bitch-ass pretender wearing a suit of armor. 

That's an interesting point. Would be ironic if the character that introduced us to Mandos wasn't even one. Him and Jango certainly didn't hold up the... tenets (I guess) of the creed as we now know them.

24 minutes ago, Reputator said:

That's an interesting point. Would be ironic if the character that introduced us to Mandos wasn't even one. Him and Jango certainly didn't hold up the... tenets (I guess) of the creed as we now know them.

Right. And watching Season 3 and 4 of Rebels, Boba/Jango are really not Mandalorian in terms of how they act. This tv show does match the Rebels lore too, and it builds on it. 

It's just so good. Boba Fett can fuck off. We have Din Djarin now. 

Not to promote RLM since they are turds, but I do agree with their assessment of why Mandalorian works while ROS fails: Mandalorian replicates what made ANH great, which is telling a story from another genre (and themes) within a science fiction setting. In the case of ANH it was the fusing of Japanese mysticism with the hero's journey (and western knights). With Mandalorian it's the fusing of spaghetti westerns with Japanese ronin. It uses the style of the OT which people of course like, but that isn't why it's good.

On 12/31/2019 at 5:44 AM, Reputator said:

The creeds Mando and the Tribe followed i would imagine wouldn't be the same as other Mandalorian houses/Clans. 

• 1 month later...

I dunno, just went to lego's site and looked for a similarly priced set.

I think they add at least a 30% markup on their licensed sets these days. They didn't used to, but their prices have been creeping up. I love LEGOs. I used to collect them before I had kids... my kids USED to love them, but they don't care much anymore and that's a good thing.

We reached peak LEGO a while ago anyway. We would buy a set, build it, get an hour of fun out of a $50 set or whatever and then it would come apart and go into one of our massive tubs of loose pieces... and yes, that is 100% what should be happening... loose LEGOs are the way to go... BUT... we have so many that it just even matter anymore. Adding another 500 legos to a pile of 30,000 legos doesn't add any value to our lives. It stopped making financial sense to buy sets...

2 hours ago, ort said:

I dunno, just went to lego's site and looked for a similarly priced set.

I think they add at least a 30% markup on their licensed sets these days. They didn't used to, but their prices have been creeping up. I love LEGOs. I used to collect them before I had kids... my kids USED to love them, but they don't care much anymore and that's a good thing.

We reached peak LEGO a while ago anyway. We would buy a set, build it, get an hour of fun out of a $50 set or whatever and then it would come apart and go into one of our massive tubs of loose pieces... and yes, that is 100% what should be happening... loose LEGOs are the way to go... BUT... we have so many that it just even matter anymore. Adding another 500 legos to a pile of 30,000 legos doesn't add any value to our lives. It stopped making financial sense to buy sets...

The other problem is they'll also charge more for sets that have more original, will never be used in another set, pieces. That affects licensed sets more than architectural set #7592.

29 minutes ago, legend said:

That's cool.

Does the background render relative to the perspective of the camera? I wonder if that means it would be slightly off for the actors, but close enough to be helpful.

Indeed it does. The camera position is tracked in the 3D space, so as the camera moves the background re-renders in real-time to accommodate the perspective change. It is really a massive leap forward for stage work.

48 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Indeed it does. The camera position is tracked in the 3D space, so as the camera moves the background re-renders in real-time to accommodate the perspective change. It is really a massive leap forward for stage work.

Just to add to that, what they're doing for perspective is pretty interesting. You can see the area immediately in view of the camera shift perspective, with feathering along the edges, and as sblfilms said, that moves based on the camera move almost like a mask in Photoshop, but everything beyond that area remains static so as to not disorient the actors. I've seen a version of this where the entire background moved with the camera which looked REALLY funky when you're not looking through the camera, and it appears like they solved that.

• Thanks 1