The Mandalorian OT - This is the Way

7 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The contrast between my feelings watching this episode (and the first season as a whole!) and TRoS could NOT be greater! :D  

Same. I had some pretty fanboyish moments in that 45 minutes of TV and ended with a big grin on my face. That was NOT my movie experience. 

54 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Considering how xenophobic and intolerant the Empire was always portrayed to be, I was surprised Thrawn was as high ranking as he was. I guess the point was it was a true testament to his tremendous tactical mind and leadership ability.  

Must read: https://www.amazon.com/Thrawn-Star-Wars/dp/0345511271

It details his origin and rise through the ranks as an Imperial officer.

A lot of fans were mad Disney ousted the EU but one of their better moves was reeling in Timothy Zahn and re-introducing Thrawn.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 69los said:

A lot of fans were mad Disney ousted the EU but one of their better moves was reeling in Timothy Zahn and re-introducing Thrawn.

The next Thrawn series is a "prequel" set in the Unknown Regions during his service to the Chiss Ascendancy.

https://www.tor.com/2019/11/26/star-wars-thrawn-ascendancy-chaos-risingtimothy-zahn-cover-reveal/

57 minutes ago, 69los said:

Always Blaming Disney when Lucas never considered the books canon. He’s strike anything from canon if he wanted to do something else. He commissioned the 2D clone wars animated show, then struck if from canon before Episode III even came out. Then commissioned the 3D clone wars show. 

12 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Always Blaming Disney when Lucas never considered the books canon. He’s strike anything from canon if he wanted to do something else. He commissioned the 2D clone wars animated show, then struck if from canon before Episode III even came out. Then commissioned the 3D clone wars show. 

Yeah Lucas never counted any of that stuff... he always said what was canon to him were the movies and the clone wars show. That's it.

Yeah, even the games and comics. He treated anything that wasn’t the movies and the last clone wars show to be akin to fan projects. 

though the bright side was Lucas never (to my knowledge) pulled copyright strike on people that made fan project works, like has happened to youtubers since Disney took over. He treated Star Wars like everyone was entitled to make it their own. Which is probably what has lead to so many hating the new canon. 

and why some honestly thought they could legally get control of Star Wars canon from Disney ... just because they’re fans. 

18 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

George Lucas always wanted to keep Yoda’s species a mystery. Dave Filloni who is a producer in this show has been on record agreeing with George Lucas. 

I think it will be something they are chasing all series long, yet never attain. The lesson will be they’ve been all the family each other need the whole time. 

George Lucas has a habit of wanting to keep the wrong things a mystery. It's inconsequential to know the background of Yoda's species. The science behind the force? Yeah, that's the sort of thing better kept as a mystery.

4 hours ago, TheLeon said:

That was extremely satisfying. Now that this season is over, I need to find something else to justify the 1 year sub I jumped into. Oh look, those Clone Wars and Rebels shows people keep recommending...

Those will fill in lore regarding the 

Spoiler

Dark saber

rebels especially. 

Fellow Star Wars nerds! If you find yourself interested in Death Watch/Mandalore/[Redacted] lore, here are relevant (canon) episodes and reading references:

THE CLONE WARS:
S2.E12
The Mandalore Plot

S2.E13
Voyage of Temptation

S2.E14
Duchess of Mandalore 

S4.E14
A Friend In Need

S5.E14
Eminence

S5.E15
Shades of Reason

S5.E16
The Lawless

REBELS:
S2.E13
The Protector of Concord Dawn

S3.E7
Imperial Super Commandos

S3.E16
Legacy Mandalore

S4.E1-2
Heroes of Mandalore

NOVELS/COMICS:
Ashoka (novel) 

Battlefront: Twilight Company (novel)

Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir (4-issue comic)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Even better, here is the list of Clone Wars episodes worth watching if you don't have time for the whole thing and just want the good stuff, not filler:

20kwYub.jpg

Hm, yeah some of that can be skipped. What about Season 6? Lots of strong episodes there. The whole season is really there to bridge the gap between the Clone Wars and Revenge of the Sith. 

40 minutes ago, Bacon said:

For like 5 seconds, I totally thought the Mando that rescued Kid Mando was Boba Fett and that would have been amazing. When I realized it was just another generic Commando Mando I was a bit let down. 

Based on the time period, Boba would have been quite young still. Early to mid teens. I may have to check. I wonder if the colors have those commandos belonging to an established clan. Knowing Filloni it could be a clan from legends now made canon. lol

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Based on the time period, Boba would have been quite young still. Early to mid teens. I may have to check. I wonder if the colors have those commandos belonging to an established clan. Knowing Filloni it could be a clan from legends now made canon. lol

Oh, yeah. The show takes place after ROTJ, but I didn't even think about when the flashback took place. In my head it was all just after ROTJ but that wouldn't work at all. 

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

For like 5 seconds, I totally thought the Mando that rescued Kid Mando was Boba Fett and that would have been amazing. When I realized it was just another generic Commando Mando I was a bit let down. 

I would have thrown my TV out the window were that to happen. Star Wars is dealing with an entire universe. The problem with every Star Wars movie since the original trilogy has been about how small the universe seems to be. Forget about six degrees of separation. All the major live action Star Wars have been about two degrees of separation from a Skywalker. I'll be equally as upset if we find out the child is like Yoda's nephew or some bullshit like that.