Update: Kotick was briefed by Nintendo in December 2022 about the "Switch NG", performance was compared to PS4 and XB1

Commissar SFLUFAN

6 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You've now gone from telling me I'm underestimating DLSS, to telling me I have too high expectations for the Switch 2.  I have no idea what you're trying to say anymore.

Yes, you were absolutely underestimating DLSS.  What you said initially about its use at low resolutions was incorrect.

You can both be wrong about that, and be crazy to think Nintendo's new portable better be overwhelmingly better than the Deck.  Nintendo has a history of lowballing.  Though I suppose frame generation could take it there, if were somehow viable on Switch 2.

50 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

The Deck's currently competitors are, frankly, a poor value.  You spend a lot more money for a bit more performance.  Partly because Windows is a bloated OS on a portable.

Yea you lost me here. As a person who owns both, the difference in power is quite noticeable. @stepee what say you?

39 minutes ago, Brian said:

Yea you lost me here. As a person who owns both, the difference in power is quite noticeable. @stepee what say you?

It’s an Xbox Series S in power vs a ps4 essentially. Just depends how much battery life you want to lose to get that power out of it. Even set to 18w though it’s very noticeable though but I just use an external battery and run it at 25w always.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Not unnoticeable, just not a great value IMO for how much these devices cost relative to the Deck.

Yea I disagree especially when factor these other devices have way better screens which to me is extremely important for a handheld. Also Windows lacks any of the compatibility issues that Linux has. I recommend the Ally over the Deck.  

• 2 weeks later...
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

The Switch 2 could be similar in performance to the PS4.

Rumors of a Nintendo Switch 2 announcement have grown recently after reports of developer demos at Gamescom last month. Now, we know that Activision was briefed on a next-generation Nintendo Switch last year, thanks to internal emails from the FTC v. Microsoft case.

Activision executives, including CEO Bobby Kotick, met with Nintendo executives in December 2022 to discuss a next-generation Switch. In an internal email chain, Chris Schnakenberg, head of Activision’s platform strategy and partner relations, prepared a summary of the “Switch NG” (Switch next-generation) inside a document labeled “NG Switch Draft.pdf.”

The document is heavily redacted, but it does reveal that performance of the next-generation Switch will be close to that of the PS4 and Xbox One.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: Kotick was briefed by Nintendo in December 2022 about the "Switch NG", performance was compared to PS4 and XB1
14 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So if the Switch 2 will be comparable to a Ps4 what was the Switch ONE comparable to? pS2?

If the ps3 had a “pro” model, the switch would probably be equivalent to that. It’s about a super charged ps3 with some modern advancements in supported rendering tech, more ram, and a bit of a cpu boost. 

Edit: Comparable to ps4/xboxone has a lot of room for interpretation as well. People considered switch mostly comparable to ps360 gen systems, especially in pre release hype, but it is actually a decent boost above those, also are they refering to the base models or pro models? It could be as powerful as a Series S and pretty much be considered the same power as last gen (xbox one x gpu has more tflops than Series S). And then the big question is if that is before or after dlss3.

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2023 at 8:16 AM, crispy4000 said:

This is precisely why a Nintendo handheld using it has been so exciting.  On the other hand, that could just mean Nintendo does Nintendo and uses it as an excuse to cut corners elsewhere with the hardware.

We're going to open up the Super Nintendo Switch and it's just gonna be a Texas Instruments graphing calculator with DLSS. 

52 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So if the Switch 2 will be comparable to a Ps4 what was the Switch ONE comparable to? pS2?

41 minutes ago, stepee said:

If the ps3 had a “pro” model, the switch would probably be equivalent to that. It’s about a super charged ps3 with some modern advancements in supported rendering tech, more ram, and a bit of a cpu boost. 

Edit: Comparable to ps4/xboxone has a lot of room for interpretation as well. People considered switch mostly comparable to ps360 gen systems, especially in pre release hype, but it is actually a decent boost above those, also are they refering to the base models or pro models? It could be as powerful as a Series S and pretty much be considered the same power as last gen (xbox one x gpu has more tflops than Series S). And then the big question is if that is before or after dlss3.

The Switch is 1Tflop, launch Xbone is 1.31Tflops, PS3 is 0.203Tflops. It’s closer to an “Xflacid” than a “PS3 Pro”

Just now, Spork3245 said:

The Switch is 1Tflop, launch Xbone is 1.31Tflops, PS3 is 0.203Tflops

The switch isn’t 1tflop with normal code, thats with some kind of math nobody uses, the deck is 1.6tflops and obviously far more powerful than switch. It’s about 400gflops.

• True 1

PS4/XBO graphics are more than good enough; the jump to the current generation was the first jump with diminishing returns from a graphical standpoint IMO. As long as the specs don't restrict game design (and I don't see that being the case given what they were able to pull off on the Switch) this is no big deal.

• Halal 1

37 minutes ago, stepee said:

The switch isn’t 1tflop with normal code, thats with some kind of math nobody uses, the deck is 1.6tflops and obviously far more powerful than switch. It’s about 400gflops.

I just went down a rabbit hole because when I originally googled most of the answers were 1Tflop but that’s apparently based on some nonsense about it being “capable” of running two 16-bit floating point calculations simultaneously. :p 

Looks like 0.5Tflops docked is the actual power. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

55 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

That probably had more to do with it running the Matrix demo.

likely. But as DF pointed out, nobody is saying how it ran the Matrix demo. It surely wasn’t 4K/60. Probably not 60fps at all.  

13 minutes ago, Chris- said:

PS4/XBO graphics are more than good enough; the jump to the current generation was the first jump with diminishing returns from a graphical standpoint IMO. As long as the specs don't restrict game design (and I don't see that being the case given what they were able to pull off on the Switch) this is no big deal.

a fast NVME drive is going to be key too. games are starting to require that. One thing that will really help the switch 2 though is DLSS 3.5. May not get the thing to 60fps, but it can make games look better while targeting 30fps, and being able to look better in places than PS4 games could. 

4 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

likely. But as DF pointed out, nobody is saying how it ran the Matrix demo. It surely wasn’t 4K/60. Probably not 60fps at all.  

Imagine a console running the Matrix demo at 4k/60fps.  :daydream:

It’s the wrong barometer.  If it doesn’t look as trashy as Immortals of Aveum on console, I’d be quite impressed.  Even at 30fps, which is where the PS5/Series consoles attempted to run the Matrix demo.  Though there’s likely been optimizations since for Nintendo to show it off.

3 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

a fast NVME drive is going to be key too. games are starting to require that. One thing that will really help the switch 2 though is DLSS 3.5. May not get the thing to 60fps, but it can make games look better while targeting 30fps, and being able to look better in places than PS4 games could. 

Man if we are targeting 30fps with DLSS on, I worry about the future of gaming.

35 minutes ago, Ominous said:

The iPhone 15 is going to be a gaming sensation according to some, so games will need to fit on a 128 gb phone going forward. 

I mean it's not too outrageous of a claim. Cell phones have been more powerful than Nintendo hardware since at least the Wii-U. Now they are running RE4RE natively with raytracing. By the time the switch 2 hits another more powerful iphone will be out already. Wild stuff for sure.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...