Proof that games are art.

CastletonSnob

28 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Anything by Supergiant Games is what pops into my head first when I read the question and give it no thought.

But I think pretty much all games are art.

(Practically) all games are art, but there are definitely games that are unquestionably more "artistic" than others simply because of the way they use the unique qualities of this interactive medium.

Lot's of games. What does "is art" actually mean? Every game is an authored medium that evokes emotions and reflection, but I guess in this definition we'd be excluding "fun" and "exhilaration" as a valid emotions for art? If so, still lots of games :p 

But some stand outs for evoking hoity toity emotions and reflections might be:

Ico

SOMA

The Witcher 3

Senua's Sacrifice

The Last of Us

God of War (new ones)

Persona 5

Pentiment

Disco Elysium

etc.

11 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

They’re not high art, but they are art. 

Because of their interactivity, I personally consider them to be the highest form of art possible, more so than other "passive" mediums with the exception of literature which is interactive due to its "theater of the mind" aspects.

• Like 1
  • True 1

28 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Because of their interactivity, I personally consider them to be the highest form of art possible, more so than other "passive" mediums with the exception of literature which is interactive due to its "theater of the mind" aspects.

Best, yes.  
The interactivity is also kinda the opposite of the definition of high art though. 

16 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Fuck out of here with that noise.

You shouldn’t want your medium to be viewed with a waft of superiority, because of how many people that will alienate.

- Signed, classical musician with doctorate in piano

How do you feel about a fan correcting you.

I can't stress this enough, but... Gris.

I played that game like 2 or 3 weeks after my mom died, completely not knowing what the game was about, and holy fuck did it wreck me. More than any movie ever has. And by the end, I felt better. I think I didn't stop crying through most of the last level. And I still get emotional thinking about it because the feelings were that intense. Only one movie has ever had that effect on me, and for very different reasons 

• Hugs 1