Proof that games are art.

CastletonSnob

The two games that stick out for me, playing them when both concepts were fresh were Journey, which is an

obvious choice, but its blend of aesthetic, music,‘game-feel were great. My second choice, and the one that was more impactful for me was Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture. I hadn’t touched a walking sim before and this was just brilliant, mysterious story and the use of light and particles was stunning. 

8 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This is definitely true!

I think that the distinction has visibly lessened in the mediums of music, film, and television, but remains sgnificant in literature.

I think music and dance have the highest hurdles personally.  There’s a smugness associated with ‘high’ forms of them today that is aging the audiences outside of Nutcracker and Messiah.  You know who has it the absolute worst?  Living composers in the “western art literature” tradition that don’t latch their work onto other popular media like games, film or musicals.  Very few people break through otherwise, maybe just Whitacre and Pärt.

Literature is another.  But in the US, you must have at least some comprehension of the ‘high’ forms of it to graduate high school.  Maybe that’s actually turning a lot of people off to it, but the exposure is there.  Then again, imagine having your kid tell you they want to write poetry for a living.

My favorite definition of art is that it's anything that moves you.  But the distinction itself is fairly meaningless.

I also find that the more self-consciously artful games try to be, the less effective and interesting they are.  I've found myself moving farther and farther away from games that are reaching for prestige.  Games like God of War being so self serious is very amusing, and they ring hollow for me.  It seems like lots of modern games want to escape what makes them great, which is that they're games and not movies.