Nate Silver out at 538 after contract ends

Nate-Silver.jpg?w=1000&h=562&crop=1
VARIETY.COM

ABC News plans to hold onto the FiveThirtyEight brand despite founder Nate Silver's exit.

Silver sent a message to his team in a company Slack channel warning that the Disney layoffs would impact FiveThirtyEight, and that Silver is not planning to return after his contract ends.

Silver said in a tweet, “Disney layoffs have substantially impacted FiveThirtyEight. I am sad and disappointed to a degree that’s kind of hard to express right now. We’ve been at Disney almost 10 years. My contract is up soon and I expect that I’ll be leaving at the end of it.”

• SaysWho? changed the title to Nate Silver out at 538 after contract ends
49 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:
Nate-Silver.jpg?w=1000&h=562&crop=1
VARIETY.COM

ABC News plans to hold onto the FiveThirtyEight brand despite founder Nate Silver's exit.

Silver sent a message to his team in a company Slack channel warning that the Disney layoffs would impact FiveThirtyEight, and that Silver is not planning to return after his contract ends.

This is the face of a man

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Gavin King said:

Meh... I feel like brands can be replaced. I'd take the models and his name elsewhere and build it all up again. Curious to see where he lands.

He got a rep off a big splash that he hasn't replicated and has become increasingly cranky. 

1 hour ago, Anathema- said:

What's funny is that Disney owns the 538 brand and Nate owns the models, in case you needed more proof that he's an idiot who thinks he's smart.  

What exactly do you think happens when you sell a business?

Of what utility is the 538 brand without the assets (the models) that underpinned it?

The audience that 538 caters to is almost exclusively there for the data analysis, not the brand in and of itself.  They're going to follow Silver, not stay with the Silver-less 538 brand.

Disney has retained an effectively useless shell.

• True 2

12 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Who cares about utility if only one of the two things has value? Nobody's following Nate Silver anywhere. 

If given the choice between retaining the brand or the data models as was the situation with the initial Disney acquisition, the relatively safer bet is the retention of the data models from the standpoint of which one has the greater potential for future value generation.

• Halal 2

44 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

If given the choice between retaining the brand or the data models as was the situation with the initial Disney acquisition, the relatively safer bet is the retention of the data models from the standpoint of which one has the greater potential for future value generation.

I'm sure Nate wagered the same thing before he tanked his personal brand. 

3 hours ago, Anathema- said:

He didn't sell the brand when he worked for the times. 

Correct. So, again, what do you think happens when you *sell* a business? 

Basically 538 is the name of the sandwich but the guy who made the sandwich took the ingredients with him. Wherever he goes he can make the sandwich everyone loves with a different name. But the people who kept the name of the sandwich can't use the same ingredients. Will people come for the mediocre sandwich with the same name or the new sandwich with the ingredients people enjoy?

• Halal 3

44 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Basically 538 is the name of the sandwich but the guy who made the sandwich took the ingredients with him. Wherever he goes he can make the sandwich everyone loves with a different name. But the people who kept the name of the sandwich can't use the same ingredients. Will people come for the mediocre sandwich with the same name or the new sandwich with the ingredients people enjoy?

Even more, what if the name of the sandwich was effectively “Fancy Sandwhich by Mr. Sandwhich”, and Mr. Sandwhich announces he is making a whole new Sandwich somewhere else that tastes just as good as the original Fancy Sandwhich.

There is no doubt that Silver is as much a part of the brand value of 538 and 538 is itself. Pretty sure he can roll out some new venture in the future while keeping his name in the public conscience with media appearances and his social media activity. 

49 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Neither 

they order Hawaiian pizza.

Spoiler

It Begins Here We Go GIF by hero0fwar

• Haha 4
  • Sicko 2
  • Sicko Sherman 1
  • Hugs 1

6 hours ago, Gavin King said:

Meh... I feel like brands can be replaced. I'd take the models and his name elsewhere and build it all up again. Curious to see where he lands.

Silver should lobby to make Puerto Rico the 51st state and then start a new website called 544.com

• Sicko 1

1 hour ago, Anathema- said:

I really don't understand what you're getting at here.

You said he is and idiot who thinks he is smart because he sold the brand but retained some of his IP. This is the most normal of transactions when a founder sells their business. I just don’t know why you think that was dumb.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If Disney is planning on shutting down 538.  Who knows what will happen with the brand.  They may be willing to sell it back to Nate on the cheap.

He’s going to buy the brand back and redirect the page to a site that sells hot sauce.

• Haha 3