Nate Silver out at 538 after contract ends

7 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I didn't even remember the ads on it. O_O

It was really weird, it was all full priced games and hot sauce. It was way too late into the whole internet thing for someone to think they would be able to make something out of a site like that lol - I wonder if they sold a single product.

Edit: Kind of annoyed actually that they are holding the domain still, I would like to buy it and redirect it here for nostalgic purposes and it has no other value beyond that 

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

You said he is and idiot who thinks he is smart because he sold the brand but retained some of his IP. This is the most normal of transactions when a founder sells their business. I just don’t know why you think that was dumb.

He didn't have to sell the business?

14 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

He didn't have to sell the business?

Sure. Why is selling the business dumb? Again, YOU are the one saying he is an idiot for what he did but so far can’t explain what is dumb about selling his business 😂

3 hours ago, Joe said:

Who gives a shit about the 538 brand?

This is exactly why Disney bought the assents and also signed Silver to a contract. The brand has much less value separated from Silver as the front man. I think they tried over the years to develop new faces of the brand, but they never really stuck.

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Sure. Why is selling the business dumb? Again, YOU are the one saying he is an idiot for what he did but so far can’t explain what is dumb about selling his business 😂

What's dumb is he didn't sell the business he sold the brand. The only thing he's left with is his personal brand which really sucks right now. You can say 538 doesn't hold much value without Nate and that may be true but it's also true that Nate without the brand he's built for over a decade is worth even less. 

5 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

What's dumb is he didn't sell the business he sold the brand. The only thing he's left with is his personal brand which really sucks right now. You can say 538 doesn't hold much value without Nate and that may be true but it's also true that Nate without the brand he's built for over a decade is worth even less. 

But he did sell the business, he sold it to ESPN in 2013 or 2014. At the same time they signed him to a contract to keep working at the site. Are you confused about what transpired?

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’d argue “Nate Silver” is more known than “538”

:shrug:

This would be my read on the situation too.

15 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

He received cash to sell his company, and was paid for about ten years.  He'll be OK.

22 hours ago, Anathema- said:

He got a rep off a big splash that he hasn't replicated and has become increasingly cranky. 

Are we talking about the 2016 election when he was the only one that seemed to know Trump had a legitimate chance at the presidency?

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Probably 2012 when his models were ridiculously accurate 

I was being sarcastic :p because I do not think the notion that he was only very successful once is accurate at all. He actually made his name on his 2008 prediction! But yes, his 2012 prediction was also excellent.