Have you ever left a job you were happy with?

gamer.tv

I’ve been teaching at the same school for coming up to three years. I love it - despite the challenges, it’s a wonderful working environment to be part of. Despite that, I’m looking at applying for a role at a different school. This isn’t due to any dissatisfaction, but a few other factors:

It’s about 5 minutes from my house so no commute (and all the benefits that will bring me and my family)

Part of progression in teaching is working in different settings, with this being very different to my current one.

I’d love to test my skills in a new place.

The only thing that is holding my hand from applying today is my desire to complete a Masters, which I have laid a lot of groundwork for at my current place. 

But yeah - odd to want to leave whilst not actually being pushed to.

22 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

I’ve been teaching at the same school for coming up to three years. I love it - despite the challenges, it’s a wonderful working environment to be part of. Despite that, I’m looking at applying for a role at a different school. This isn’t due to any dissatisfaction, but a few other factors:

It’s about 5 minutes from my house so no commute (and all the benefits that will bring me and my family)

Part of progression in teaching is working in different settings, with this being very different to my current one.

I’d love to test my skills in a new place.

The only thing that is holding my hand from applying today is my desire to complete a Masters, which I have laid a lot of groundwork for at my current place. 

But yeah - odd to want to leave whilst not actually being pushed to.

It sounds like you may be a bit bored and are looking for a new challenge. Nothing wrong with that. I'm in the same boat and just applied within my company for a new position due to wanting a new challenge/test my skills. 

I've only ever had jobs I tolerated, none that I was particularly happy with.

I almost like my current job because of the flexibility it offers me, but given that I'm pretty sure I've lost the use of my right arm for the foreseeable future, I'm somewhat royally fucked there and I have no idea what I'm going to do next.

• Hugs 1

17 minutes ago, BasemntDweller2 said:

It sounds like you may be a bit bored and are looking for a new challenge. Nothing wrong with that. I'm in the same boat and just applied within my company for a new position due to wanting a new challenge/test my skills. 

I wouldn’t say bored - just because of how much more I can get just from this school (focus for an MA, teach different ages, take on different responsibilities etc) - it’s more the things that it can’t offer me and my fear of being someone that stays and becomes a fixture, rather than a contributor.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm currently trying to leave my job now. It will be very difficult for me to lateral somewhere else so it's not looking great. 

Ask the union to help you. 

J/K they are useless.  When I left my last job they told me they would get me all these interviews....I never ever heard from them. 

• Haha 1

I've had seasonal jobs as a teenager (e.g. summer camp counselor) that I loved, and of course they just ended with the season. But as far as career jobs, I'm still too early in my career to have left a job I truly loved; I'm currently just in the second job since finishing school. The first job, which I did for two years, I liked the work itself ok but I was paid poverty wages. 

No. My happiness with my job is...complicated. I was very unhappy with my last position and I'm glad I finally made the move. I don't know that I LOVE my current job, but I don't mind it. I just prefer to be at home, doing the stuff I enjoy.

I don't dislike nursing, but it can be a hard job. But I really can't imagine doing anything else as a career. There are plenty of times over the years where I've felt fulfilled. Along with a lot of burnout, too.

My pay was shit but I loved being a Projectionist. If it weren’t for the upgrades to the Digital formats, I’d still be doing it. Even when I had a bad/frustrating day, it wasn’t something that me dread really going in again.

I miss the money and medical coverage I had with Pepsi, but it gave me anxiety. Well more so after getting hurt on the job, and doing random drop offs of display units around downtown Toronto and some place over and hour away in the smaller outskirts cities we covered. Especially terrible with bad weather, but it was more of the not knowing where/what I’m doing everyday. 

current job isn’t the best paying, but I’m only a 5-8min walk from my house. With no random driving involved, but I admit to missing some driving. Did all my good podcast listening on some of my longer travels

7 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I too am unfamiliar with the premise of this thread.

It's obviously a UK humble brag thread.

"Cheerio Govnah, I live on an island with my wife and kids eating spotted dick all day. My job is so fulfilling that I'm thinking of quitting. I have free health care and no gun violence. Do any of you feel the same way as me?

Americans:

Angry GIF by giphystudios2021

• Haha 1
  • True 1
  • Halal 1

Yes. One was easy, got great “work stories” out of it, but had low pay. 

the other was a fine job, decent pay, interesting work, great WLB. But between the layoffs there (I wasn’t impacted) and my boss’ cancer returning that would eventually take his life last year, I needed something else. 

I’ve also changed my outlook on work somewhat recently so the enjoyment of the work isn’t a goal for me, but pay/WLB are the focus. My enjoyment of the work, for what it is worth, is more impacted by my attitude outside of work. So if I’m feeling depressed or unenthusiastic about work it’s probably because I haven’t made a point to spend time with friends outside of work and family. 

• Halal 1

4 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I’ve also changed my outlook on work somewhat recently so the enjoyment of the work isn’t a goal for me, but pay/WLB are the focus. My enjoyment of the work, for what it is worth, is more impacted by my attitude outside of work.

This is a huge change in the right direction. I feel as though I hear a lot of people taking about work as needing to be a source of fulfillment in and of itself for them, and I just don’t believe that is a path to satisfaction or contentment. That isn’t to say people should suck it up and do work that is actively negative to their well being, but I do think you can find work boring or even “pointless” and still cash that paycheck and convert your labor hours into meaningful experiences with the people you care about.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

This is a huge change in the right direction. I feel as though I hear a lot of people taking about work as needing to be a source of fulfillment in and of itself for them, and I just don’t believe that is a path to satisfaction or contentment. That isn’t to say people should suck it up and do work that is actively negative to their well being, but I do think you can find work boring or even “pointless” and still cash that paycheck and convert your labor hours into meaningful experiences with the people you care about.

I hold no illusions that my work is anything other than meaningless! And that’s why I’m already actively looking for work elsewhere because being loyal to a company is just stupid

I've had to leave a few restaurants I enjoyed working at because I was moving, if that counts. My previous job was for a private tutoring company and I enjoyed it a lot for the first couple of years, even though I got the sense I was never going to advance which was upsetting. But still I stayed because I loved the kids. But things really soured between my employer and me in the last few months and they began severely cutting my hours. So while I was not happy with the job by the time I had left, it was a job that provided me with many pleasant memories and leaving was a bittersweet experience. But ultimately I knew it was my time to move on.

Currently I'm a teacher and love what I do. I plan to switch careers for several reasons including the pay, but I know it will be a sad day for me once I choose to quit.

Submitted an application and spoke with my headteacher to let her know the deal. She was supportive and sad in equal measure. 

Now to wait and see if I’m shortlisted…which is a nightmare as you a) never know how many candidates have applied for the role b) when/if you’ll hear back. 

I liked my last job. I was there 15 years. Knew everybody. Got along with most. Had a good work life balance. Unfortunately, I was underpaid and had a worse title than my peers even though we did the same work. When I asked for it to be corrected, they balked and said “give us time to make it right.” Nope. Got a new job with a big raise.

When they listed my job in the market, they used the title they wouldn’t give me and I’m sure the pay I was asking for. Fuck them. 

• Hugs 3

Interview day tomorrow - had a final chat with my headteacher which was a mixture of checking what I’m planning to teach (and agreeing it will be fine), wishing me good luck whilst simultaneously hoping I won’t be successful. I think that’s about as kind as it comes in the teaching world. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

So, I wasn’t successful for this (I was in the final 6, but they went another way) but I’ve been having an ongoing chat about moving to a different school, but within our group of schools (Trust). My headteacher has said she will write an application for me to our Trust Executive team about doing a transfer to one of a few schools which are more local (either walking or cycling within 20 minutes) which would be ideal. There may also be the chance of more progression and opportunity. So hopefully, life will get interesting over the next 1-2 years work wise.

• Like 2
  • Hype 2