For those who have been married, what did you do for your last name?

Fizzzzle

Did you hyphenate? Did your partner take your name?

Even if you aren't married, what do you think you would do?

My last name is the name of a guy who raped my dad and his sister. It wasn't his biological father. When I was with my ex and we talked about getting married, we decided we would pick a new name. It I do ever get married, I will absolutely abandon my name, whether that means making up a new one or adopting my partner's name.

@Commissar SFLUFANI mean you can't ditch the name "steel." Unless it's traumatic for you, in which case you do you.

My wife hated being associated with her bio-dad, and loved my parents even before we started dating, so she was excited to take our family name. I think she likes it more than me, tbh

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

In the event that I ever did get married, I would absolutely insist that my spouse retain her own name or I would take hers.

You'd give up the "steel" name?

I suppose I shouldn't say anything about it and I don't know your relationship with the name.

I actively hate my last name because of what it represents 

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

You'd give up the "steel" name?

I suppose I shouldn't say anything about it and I don't know your relationship with the name.

I actively hate my last name because of what it represents 

My relationship with the name is that it's a bunch of letters that form a word that's associated with me by random cosmic chance so I really have no strong feelings about it :p

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

In the event that I ever did get married, I would absolutely insist that my spouse retain her own name or I would take hers.

Oooohhh - I have an even better idea!

We'd combine the two names in some way, maybe even randomly scrambling the letters!

Two word last name, no hyphen.

Steel Boehner

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sicko 1

11 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

It I do ever get married, I will absolutely abandon my name, whether that means making up a new one or adopting my partner's name.

You know you don't have to wait, right?  You can just like, go change your name. Here in NJ it's like $300.

29 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Well, what did she say????

divorced me on the spot, her scheme was figured out. she would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling teachers.

i was making a solid mid-five-figure income so she was living the high life and wanted to cash out while the gettin' was good

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1

If I get married, I think I will also have no real preference. I'm the only male in even my extended family who would pass on the family name via the traditional route, so I guess if the woman I married didn't want to take my name, the name would be gone with me, in a sense. However, my last name is in the top 5 most-common names in the US so the name itself would definitely go on, even if they're not related to me. :p

:shrug:

35 minutes ago, Nokra said:

If I get married, I think I will also have no real preference. I'm the only male in even my extended family who would pass on the family name via the traditional route, so I guess if the woman I married didn't want to take my name, the name would be gone with me, in a sense. However, my last name is in the top 5 most-common names in the US so the name itself would definitely go on, even if they're not related to me. :p

:shrug:

My surname is the 5,213,395th most common surname in the world. So all you single ladies out there, act fast before the opportunity is gone! ;)I wouldn't mind if she didn't take my name but i don't think i could change it because it's the last thing i have left from my dad.