Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30 June 2023) - Official Trailer

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I just found out what happened to Mutt and Marion :rofl:

This disturbed me. You guys probably already know this but I surely didn't.

"Marion entered into a relationship with Indiana Jones during this time (when she was 15, according to the novelization of Raiders of the Lost Ark). Jones abruptly left the Ravenwoods in 1926; Marion was about 16 or 17 years old when the relationship ended, and Jones was 27, ten years her senior".

:|

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

This disturbed me. You guys probably already know this but I surely didn't.

"Marion entered into a relationship with Indiana Jones during this time (when she was 15, according to the novelization of Raiders of the Lost Ark). Jones abruptly left the Ravenwoods in 1926; Marion was about 16 or 17 years old when the relationship ended, and Jones was 27, ten years her senior".

:|

If it makes you feel any better, Lucas initially wanted Indy to be into Marion when she was 11!

Lawrence Kasdan: I like it if they already had a relationship at one point. Because then you don't have to build it.

George Lucas: I was thinking that this old guy could have been his mentor. He could have known this little girl when she was just a kid. Had an affair with her when she was eleven.

Kasdan: And he was forty-two.

Lucas: He hasn't seen her in twelve years. Now she's twenty-two. It's a real strange relationship.

Spielberg: She had better be older than twenty-two.

Lucas: He's thirty-five, and he knew her ten years ago when he was twenty-five and she was only twelve.

Lucas: It would be amusing to make her slightly young at the time.

Spielberg: And promiscuous. She came onto him.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

How is the budget for this movie almost $300M? How?

I refuse to accept that this movie is going to be anything better than “fine” and I feel like the sole purpose that it exists is an attempt to make the last Harrison Ford Indy movie something other than Crystal Skull. Which is weird because while that movie is not good, it’s not as bad as people seem to think and it’s roughly one trillion times better than Temple of Doom, which actively eats shit every in every frame.

Wow my thoughts written out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2023 at 11:10 PM, SoberChef said:

Look. Legit, I don't want a film to ever fail ... except when from concept on paper you had EVERY red flag saying BAD IDEA! So yeah, par for course for modern Disney.

I have good news for you… movie is tracking to open much lower than Crystal Skull did.

indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-ha
WWW.THEWRAP.COM

"Dial of Destiny" projected for significantly lower opening than "Crystal Skull"

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sitting at 66% on RT with 198 reviews.

I completely forgot this was coming out and decided to get myself a ticket tonight. It was not hard, lots of open seats in mostly empty showings. Then I remembered I hadn't reserved a seat for Dead Reckoning or Oppenheimer and I had to really search around to find a good seat in a good theater.

On 5/19/2023 at 6:57 PM, Kal-El814 said:

If it makes you feel any better, Lucas initially wanted Indy to be into Marion when she was 11!

I actually watched Raiders for the first time since I was a kid yesterday and there is a scene there where she yells at him literally because he took advantage of her as child and he is like “oh that sux get over it lmao” and it was kind of a turn off. Which led me to realize that Harrison Ford’s entire “charm” is just hardcore negging women. 

There’s obviously good/classic action scenes in that one but overall I actually didn’t think it was that great and kinda dragged in parts. I was left wondering if the idea of Indiana Jones is better than the execution so far. Besides the ride in Disneyland because that is fantastic.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I actually watched Raiders for the first time since I was a kid yesterday and there is a scene there where she yells at him literally because he took advantage of her as child and he is like “oh that sux get over it lmao” and it was kind of a turn off. Which led me to realize that Harrison Ford’s entire “charm” is just hardcore negging women. 

There’s obviously good/classic action scenes in that one but overall I actually didn’t think it was that great and kinda dragged in parts. I was left wondering if the idea of Indiana Jones is better than the execution so far. Besides the ride in Disneyland because that is fantastic.

Raiders is all over the map with the problematic stuff. Marion accuses Indy of what’s essentially grooming and statutory rape and his response is, “you knew what you were doing,” which is… yikes. Then she’s scheming hew way free from Belloq, then she’s fighting with a frying pan which is classic misogynist stuff.

• True 1

karenallen-harrisonford-raidersofthelost
WWW.IGN.COM

Karen Allen recently clarified a scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark in which Indiana Jones...

Karen Allen offered her own read of Marion and Indiana's relationship.

"I don’t think of him as a pedophile," Allen said. "That’s the direction some of these [viewers] are going."

Allen acknowledged that there are sparse details about Marion and Indiana's past, but said her own understanding of the situation was it being "quite innocent"

"I think I say I was 16. I don’t know," Allen said. "That’s always what I imagined is she was 16, he was 26. And he was her father’s student. And it’s left very mysterious."

"We don’t even know what it is," Allen continued. "What’s great about it is we don’t know what the circumstances are. So she obviously cared deeply for him. He may have cared for her, too. But, in the end, [he] decided it was a dangerous situation and he didn’t want to be involved. I mean, I guess, when something is as vague as that, you can color it any way you want to color it. I’ve tended to color it, sort of, that it was quite innocent."

It’s wild, I went on Twitter and my “For You” tab magically turned into this movie getting some insanely good word of mouth.

I’m excited for tonight. Odds are there will be an empty seat next to me for my dad… 

Spoiler

…because of the fact that it’s going to bomb in the box office because people would rather watch a movie about an actual bomb 😜

9 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Have we just reached a turning point where nostalgia for 80s action is no longer a box office draw? This summer we've seen Keaton as Batman and Ford as Indy both flop in perfectly acceptable movies.

I don't know that Flash "counts." as 80's nostalgia. The movie's marketing doesn't suggest that Keaton's role would be anything other than cameos that happen in superhero movies regularly at this point. And that movie has other baggage, too.

On 7/3/2023 at 1:30 PM, TwinIon said:

Have we just reached a turning point where nostalgia for 80s action is no longer a box office draw? This summer we've seen Keaton as Batman and Ford as Indy both flop in perfectly acceptable movies.

I guess we will find out for sure when Beetlejuice 2 comes out next year

On 7/3/2023 at 10:45 PM, prevail said:

I saw it today and it's a decent action movie but a failure as an Indiana Jones movie. At least it's better than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. And yes, I like Temple of Doom. The only true Indiana Jones movies are the original three.

How does one fail at being an Indiana Jones movie?

On 6/29/2023 at 1:40 PM, stepee said:

I completely agree with your opinion on Ford. But I have a huge guiltily pleasure for Temple of Doom and he was fantastic in that. 

2 hours ago, prevail said:

Off the top of my head, It's not directed by Spielberg and they didn't even do the Paramount mountain or whatever at the beginning. It doesn't seem like a true Indy movie.

Well shit now I'm convinced! No way I'm seeing this worthless piece of trash now. I mean no amount of writing, editing, cinematography, music composition, acting, stunts, or effects prowess can possibly make up for the Paramount logo being missing.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, prevail said:

The music sucked and it didn't seem like John Williams did it. He is very old though. I was also high while I watched the movie and don't really care to explain to downgrades about why it's not a true Indiana Jones movie.

There is still a Paramount logo but it doesn't do that thing where there is a morph into the same shape as a mountain or rock like in the older movies. It's difficult to explain.

I mostly made a post to confirm that the reviews are accurate, meaning not good. I'm not sure why people are attacking me.

It is still better than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Damn that movie sucked.

Are you still high now?

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull gets way too much hate. The worst part of the flick is that action stretch in the jungle. Everything else is classic Indy updated to match the times of the 1950s. That flick has some AMAZING shots. 

As for this? It’s not Raiders, but Mangold gave one of the greatest action heroes a great if not somber send off. And at least we know that right wing chuds like Doomcock were trying to tank the flick by making the claims he did about the movie months ago that Mangold had to shoot down.

Just saw it, thought it was fine. I could’ve done with less action, which is a tough thing to say about an action adventure movie. It’s all that floaty, fake looking action that’s the bane of modern movies. It just makes my eyes glaze over. I was locked in on the story bits. Thought Helena was great.

2 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Just saw it, thought it was fine. I could’ve done with less action, which is a tough thing to say about an action adventure movie. It’s all that floaty, fake looking action that’s the bane of modern movies. It just makes my eyes glaze over. I was locked in on the story bits. Thought Helena was great.

I haven't seen the new Indy film, but I just wanted to bold this part and say I agree 100%. It sucks.

I saw it tonight, and it was fun enough. Some good classic Indy style action scenes, even if they do look too fake with all the CGI, although I guess you can't really do things for real with an 80 year old Harrison Ford like you used to when he was younger. 

Coincidentally today was Ford's birthday. Fitting that I saw it tonight. First film my girlfriend and I have seen together in a theatre since covid. 

• 8 months later...

I finally saw this and my thoughts mirror most of the posts in this thread, the film was fine. It builds ideas it never does anything with (Indy's regrets and failures and Helena's thieving/money scheming ways), the villains are not scary or worrying in the least, the action isn't exciting, what the dial actually is and does is both stupid and nonsensical, etc. The movie just comes and goes. Not bad but not memorable either. The movie spends so much of its 2.5 hour runtime on either exposition and/or action that there's no character work or chemistry that gets time to build. Toby Jones comes and goes. Sallah comes and goes. Antonio Banderas comes and goes. The movie can't get any sort of momentum which is sort of important for an Indiana Jones adventure film. I'm not big into the Indiana Jones movies so I had no horse in this race but this movie just sort of came and went for me. I'm surprised that James Mangold made such a forgettable movie. Honestly the Spielberg ones are at least interesting, good or bad. This wasn't. I'd give it a 6/10.

3 hours ago, Reputator said:
WWW.FORBES.COM

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny failed to cover its costs at the box office as financial statements show that Disney spent $134.2m more on the...

This, The Marvels, and to a lesser degree Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning (Part One) underperformed in theaters. Probably because this and The Marvels are average at best and Dead Reckoning was billed as "part one" right in the title, which people theorize is what hurt it.

42 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

This, The Marvels, and to a lesser degree Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning (Part One) underperformed in theaters. Probably because this and The Marvels are average at best and Dead Reckoning was billed as "part one" right in the title, which people theorize is what hurt it.

Mission Impossible also only had one week before Barbenheimer took over everything.

• True 1