Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30 June 2023) - Official Trailer

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30 June 2023) - Official Trailer
40 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Fuck it, this has to be Harrison Ford's last movie, right, so I'm jumping into the hype. I just hope it doesn't go The Force Awakens by overstuffing the nostalgia in detriment of originality and a compelling narrative.

I believe this will likely be his last time donning the fedora (Harrison Ford is 80 years old after all), but I think he said that after the 4th one too. At this point I'm like, close it out with a second trilogy then why don't you.

6 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Fuck it, this has to be Harrison Ford's last movie, right, so I'm jumping into the hype. I just hope it doesn't go The Force Awakens by overstuffing the nostalgia in detriment of originality and a compelling narrative.

He’s doing the next Captain America movie and Thunderbolts flick, as well as having a new tv series with Jason Segel and one of those Yellowstone spin-offs.

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I believe this will likely be his last time donning the fedora (Harrison Ford is 80 years old after all), but I think he said that after the 4th one too. At this point I'm like, close it out with a second trilogy then why don't you.

While I would LOVE a second trilogy, I feel like five Indy flicks is a good number to close the series with.

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, CayceG said:

I want this to be good so bad. 

Also, the trailer shows several sequences with a de-aged Harrison Ford. So that should be interesting. I wonder if it's the same guy Disney hired after he de-aged Harrison Ford and plopped him in scenes from Solo.

I'm sure it is. They used his techniques for Luke in Mandalorian S2 Book of Boba Fett, in combination with some CG post processing. In my non-expert opinion looking at those very brief glimpses I think they're going with a hybrid approach again with deepfaking and CG.

5 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I'm sure it is. They used his techniques for Luke in Mandalorian S2, in combination with some CG post processing. In my non-expert opinion looking at those very brief glimpses I think they're going with a hybrid approach again with deepfaking and CG.

He was hired because of the Skywalker deepfake, so they couldn't have used his techniques in Mandolorian season 2. The reason they hired him was because of everyone's issues with that. :p Everyone's praising the de-aging in this trailer, so I imagine he must be contributing now though. 

mark-hamill-luke-skywalker-1200.jpg?auto
WWW.CNET.COM

Shamook's deepfake was so good he earned himself a job at Industrial Light and Magic.

Yeah, I’m bumping this because I finally got to typing reviews again and wrote about what this trailer meant to me:

BHPICTURES.COM

It’s been a year and some change, but I’m back. I won’t lie to you, 2021 was a rough year for me. In January of 2021, my beagle Oliver got cancer and had to be put to sleep. At the...

• Like 2
  • Halal 2

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah, I’m gonna be living in this thread I think:

image?q=60&c=sc&rect=0%2C0%2C1990%2C995&
EW.COM

James Mangold teases the meaning behind the title 'Dial of Destiny,' what to expect from Phoebe Waller-Bridge's troublesome character, and more.

What he can say is that the film opens in 1944 with a "blast of classic Indy action, me doing my very best version of Steven [Spielberg], and Harrison doing his best version of being under 40." A glimpse of the opening sequence, which features a digitally de-aged version of the 80-year-old actor, appears in the first teaser trailer that was released earlier this month.

From there, the film "tumbles" (per Mangold) right into 1969, where the bulk of the story takes place. When looking at the first three films — all of them set in the 1930s — the director says he was struck by the "wonderful synergy between this kind of pulpy cinematic style of the films, and the period itself and the cinematic language of that day."

• 3 months later...
44 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Phoebe’s father had better be Marcus, and this movie better be a retcon to explain Marcus’ brainworms in Last Crusade.

The trailer establishes her dad is Toby Jones’ character.

And fuck, hearing one of my favorite songs transition into one of my favorite film scores is just an eargasm for me.

• Halal 1

That trailer is pretty darn good. That transition to the Indy theme is so good. That's how you use an iconic theme.

This is a complete aside, but I still can't get over how poorly Trevorrow used the Jurassic Park theme in Jurassic World. He's got one of the best scores of all time at his disposal, a set of notes that instantly stirs up awe and wonder and the impossibility of dreams made real, and he uses it to show off a hotel...

• True 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Indy’s back! But he never left.

indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-te
WWW.JOBLO.COM

The first reactions to James Mangold's Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny pour out from the Cannes world premiere screening.

• Thanks 1

How is the budget for this movie almost $300M? How?

I refuse to accept that this movie is going to be anything better than “fine” and I feel like the sole purpose that it exists is an attempt to make the last Harrison Ford Indy movie something other than Crystal Skull. Which is weird because while that movie is not good, it’s not as bad as people seem to think and it’s roughly one trillion times better than Temple of Doom, which actively eats shit every in every frame.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

How is the budget for this movie almost $300M? How?

I believe it's most likely from being in production hell for so long that the costs added up, which happens a lot with long in production films as you pay people to do work on the film but then they leave and you hire new writers and directors and cast and crew and so on. Same happened with Superman Returns, which cost $270 million to make because it took forever to get that film off the ground and the budget takes all those "wasted" years into account.

From what I've been hearing the movie is solid but I'm not expecting Logan or Ford v Ferrari here.

Aren't movie budgets complete bullshit anyway? The whole industry is a shell game where they can basically make up whatever numbers they want.

If the studio owns the SFX company and pays them a $40 million out of the films budget, did it really cost the studio $40 million bucks? What about the catering company? The costume company? Etc... These studios own it all, and when they say it costs $300 million bucks, but 50% of that cost was paid to companies they themselves own did it really cost $300 million?

They try to make every movie look like they lose money for tax reasons and to screw the creatives out of their share of the pie.

Maybe it doesn't work that way anymore, but my understanding is that all movie budgets are complete fabrications, artificially inflated for marketing purposes and tax evasion purposes.

• Halal 1

14 minutes ago, ort said:

Aren't movie budgets complete bullshit anyway? The whole industry is a shell game where they can basically make up whatever numbers they want.

If the studio owns the SFX company and pays them a $40 million out of the films budget, did it really cost the studio $40 million bucks? What about the catering company? The costume company? Etc... These studios own it all, and when they say it costs $300 million bucks, but 50% of that cost was paid to companies they themselves own did it really cost $300 million?

They try to make every movie look like they lose money for tax reasons and to screw the creatives out of their share of the pie.

That was the major reason the Scarlett Johansson lawsuit never went to trial. If it went to trial, Disney would have had to publicly disclose how much money they made from Disney+ sales/subscriptions, which they absolutely do not want to do. Obviously no one knows for sure how much they gave ScarJo to shut her up, but it was somewhere in the tens of millions.

33 minutes ago, ort said:

Maybe it doesn't work that way anymore, but my understanding is that all movie budgets are complete fabrications, artificially inflated for marketing purposes and tax evasion purposes.

The vertical integration of production has largely reversed course as the studios figured out there is an endless stream of suckers who will sign bad deals to do work on big studio projects in the hopes of creating more business down the road only to find out that the studios will never give them fair deals ever. Look at all the SFX studios they have strong armed into bankruptcy.