Study Shows that Idealogues on both sides of the aisle are equally duped by lies

075D1AE1-947B-4D8C-AECA96096DF3512D.jpg
BLOGS.SCIENTIFICAMERICAN.COM

New research suggests both liberals and conservatives are motivated to believe fake news, and dismiss real news that contradicts their ideologies

The researchers found some asymmetries, however. Conservatives who scored high in faith intuition (i.e., those who tend to think with their gut instincts) had higher perceptions of the legitimacy among fake news, although this variable had little effect on the judgments of liberals. The researchers suggest that conservatives may be most susceptible on average to fall prey to fake news stories, considering that they are the group most likely to be exposed to such material online, and they are also the group with the highest average levels of faith in intuition.

Checks out.

However, liberals aren't off the hook, as they are statistically more likely to use investment in the righteousness of their political viewpoints to believe politically-consistent news stories, and their higher level of need for cognition to delegitimize politically-inconsistent news stories. The researchers found that liberals who scored higher in a measure of "collective narcissism"-- which measures a tendency to invest in, and perceive superiority of, your political views--showed exaggerated legitimacy judgments for the politically-consistent (e.g., anti-Trump) fake news stories. This data is interesting because it suggests that collective narcissism is not only a right-wing populist phenomenon.

No shit Sherlock.

Between leftists on my twitter feed howling about how the CIA did Chapo Trap House or that Maidan was a coup orchestrated by the US and liberals going down the Blue Anon rabbit hole to expect that Trump will be indicted "any day now" I can definitely say that conspiracies and lies are definitely a fixture in left wing ideology.

I saw an article a few years ago about a guy who did rightwing fake news and then tried to expand into leftwing fake news. He said it didn't really catch on not because leftwing people never took the bait, but because it tended to fizzle out once someone showed up in the comments with actual facts. 

People can easily be duped. The difference I see is that, generally speaking, people on the left will push up corrections or fact-checks on fake articles or tweets, as generally speaking, the truth is higher regarded than "whatever I want to be right."

Of course, this isn't universal, I'm sure plenty of folks just accept whatever makes them feel superior. But in contrast, I think I've seen this type of behavior only a handful of times when viewing right-wing news articles or tweets. All anecdotal of course, just what I've personally seen.

People make everything religious. It is just part of the human condition and how we as species make sense of the world. You have to actively fight against these impulses and frankly, most people do not. This is most easily seen when you ask people not what they believe, but why do they believe those things.

Hey man, I’ll never mock anyone who gets duped. I once spent $60 on weed, except it wasn’t weed, it was some ground up pine tree branches.

Not even fucking oregano. Pine tree branches. 

Actually, no, that’s hilarious. But if you’re getting duped by redstatesoldierhillaryclintonisthedevilbuymypillow.fart, you deserve to be mocked.

• Haha 2

I don’t doubt the conclusions reached here, I just don’t think the method used really tells you all that much.  They’re giving people a headline, a quick blurb, and then asking them to judge whether or not they believe it.  The only thing you can go off of here is personal bias, you don’t have a detailed explanation, you don’t have a way to research further, it’s a quick gut check and nothing else.  That fact that liberals and conservatives are going to give a knee jerk reaction that sticks to their existing f prejudices isn’t shocking.  

• True 2

The proper response to these people is not “well ackshully they have a point” it is to laugh and mock them for being upset that advertisers don’t want to financially support racism sexism and transphobia

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I actually suggest they were part of a cult  

Yes and what was the “other cult” and why did the daily wire get cut off from it

• Halal 1

13 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The proper response to these people is not “well ackshully they have a point” it is to laugh and mock them for being upset that advertisers don’t want to financially support racism sexism and transphobia

Yes and what was the “other cult” and why did the daily wire get cut off from it

If you go to Gillette’s website, there is literally no mention of wokeness or anything. They made one ad where they were like “we don’t hate trans people” so now they are the opposing cult somehow.

24 minutes ago, Joe said:

If you go to Gillette’s website, there is literally no mention of wokeness or anything. They made one ad where they were like “we don’t hate trans people” so now they are the opposing cult somehow.

I thought the fight was over Harry’s Razors pulling ads from their podcasts after a few people tweeted about something one of the DW podcasters said, not Gillette? 

I was going to say that we will have a problem once I start seeing leftist talking about trump murdering babies and drinking their blood in a bid to stay immortal, but since everything is projection with those people, trump probably totally murders babies and drinks their blood in a bid to stay immortal.

I don’t believe conspiracies, I start them.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I thought the fight was over Harry’s Razors pulling ads from their podcasts after a few people tweeted about something one of the DW podcasters said, not Gillette? 

I’m not sure but definitely sounds like something best if you never hear about it.

Fringe idealogs on both sides are a problem, but the right-wing fringe is scarily seeping into actual elected officials. No wait, let me clarify. There were always crazies holding state offices. The scary thing is those crazies making their way onto the federal payroll. I'll start worrying about left-wing fake news being a real problem when it starts influencing actual members of Congress.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Fringe idealogs on both sides are a problem, but the right-wing fringe is scarily seeping into actual elected officials. No wait, let me clarify. There were always crazies holding state offices. The scary thing is those crazies making their way onto the federal payroll. I'll start worrying about left-wing fake news being a real problem when it starts influencing actual members of Congress.

Correct. 25-30% of the American voting population are "fringe" at this point, believing in outright fabricated conspiracy theories. They are right-wing. The number on the left is nowhere near as close, and the things they believe are nowhere near as dangerous. It's like saying that your friend who believes NASA never landed a man on the moon is the same as someone who believes Joe Biden is eating babies for secret devil powers, and therefore is willing to kill Democrats to stop him.