David Harbour Set to Star in ‘Gran Turismo’ for Sony and Neill Blomkamp - Update Orlando Bloom joins as a “Hungry Marketing Exec” lololol

Brian

GettyImages-903963154-H-2022.jpg?w=1296
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

Neill Blomkamp, best known for his sci-fi movies such as 'District 9' and 'Elysium,' is directing the project that is inspired by both the best-selling video game and a true story about...

Based on a true story, the project is described as the ultimate wish-fulfillment tale of a teenage Gran Turismo player whose gaming skills won him a series of Nissan competitions to become an actual professional racecar driver.

Season 9 Idk GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

The story of someone playing a racing game and actually learning enough to turn that into a racing career is a decent enough idea for a movie. But in this case, it’s painfully obvious that some executive realized they had the rights to a franchise that’s sold 10s of millions of units, and they scrambled to find a way to slap that name on a movie.

• Brian changed the title to David Harbour Set to Star in ‘Gran Turismo’ for Sony and Neill Blomkamp - Update Orlando Bloom joins as a “Hungry Marketing Exec” lololol
  • 7 months later...

Doesn't look terrible.

I do find the premise slightly funny, given that there's a whole cadre of F1 drivers (including and perhaps especially the reigning champ) that stream sim racing on Twitch. If you set this movie when Gran Turismo 1 came out it's easier to imagine animosity towards the "video game nerd" driver, but Max Verstappen was born just 3 months before that first game. The kids in racing now weren't born until Gran Turismo 4.

I won't hold that against it too much if it can tell a compelling story. I am actually surprised that the game itself features so heavily. It's not like this is the world of Gran Turismo, it's our world, where Gran Turismo is a game.

I'm certainly rooting for Sony to nail these adaptations, so I'm hoping this is good (the racing and car stuff being well done and super authentic are what matter most given this is Gran Turismo). I heard Ratchet & Clank was pretty bad, and I saw Uncharted and that was just okay/mediocre (though it did somewhat get Uncharted for what that's worth) but The Last of Us was really good (though that was TV vs. film). Neill Blomkamp can be a good director (District 9 is still an all-timer and I still believe Elysium is underrated but Chappie was bad and I didn't see Demonic but heard it was really bad, but his short films from his Oats Studio have been pretty good). 

So we'll see. There's a severe lack of good (or even decent) blockbuster racing/car movies out there (Fast & Furious does not count). Recently(ish) there was Rush, Need for Speed, Ford v Ferrari, Michael Mann's upcoming Enzo Ferrari film and . . . ? I'm not counting films like Speed Racer (which I love), Talladega Nights (very funny) or Senna (an excellent documentary, one of many excellent racing documentaries). Movies like Gone in 60 Seconds and Driven are too old to still be counted (Driven's not even good). Gran Turismo could certainly fill a niche if done well enough.

6 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Neill Blomkamp can be a good director (District 9 is still an all-timer and I still believe Elysium is underrated but Chappie was bad and I didn't see Demonic but heard it was really bad, but his short films from his Oats Studio have been pretty good).

Correction: Chappie was good!

• Shocked 1
  • Halal 1

19 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I am actually surprised that the game itself features so heavily. It's not like this is the world of Gran Turismo, it's our world, where Gran Turismo is a game.

Im not. The movie serves the same purpose as the tv show contest served, as a commercial for Gran Turismo serves. It’s one big advertisement for the game and Sony. They’re not even telling the story like a moment in history as they’re using GT7. It should be GT4, maybe the demo version of GT5.

honestly I’d be more interested in this if the GT Academy was just the first 1/4 of the movie and the rest was him joining and racing for team Nissan. If anything compelling happened during this time. 

• Thanks 1

So I was only just made aware of this but apparently Top Gun: Maverick director Joseph Kosinski is making an F1 racing film starring Brad Pitt where he'll do what he did with jets for Top Gun he'll do with F1 race cars for this upcoming movie (in terms of cameras in the cockpit, etc.). Sounds pretty sick. Probably a good thing Gran Turismo and Michael Mann's upcoming Ferrari film are coming out before this does. 

1435959943.jpg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Tom Cruise is already jealous, but Pitt will be in slower machinery

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2023 at 11:50 AM, Greatoneshere said:

So I was only just made aware of this but apparently Top Gun: Maverick director Joseph Kosinski is making an F1 racing film starring Brad Pitt where he'll do what he did with jets for Top Gun he'll do with F1 race cars for this upcoming movie (in terms of cameras in the cockpit, etc.). Sounds pretty sick. Probably a good thing Gran Turismo and Michael Mann's upcoming Ferrari film are coming out before this does. 

1435959943.jpg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Tom Cruise is already jealous, but Pitt will be in slower machinery

yeah Pitt was at a race last year and this project was referenced, but with absolutely no details. I forget if it was a Miami GP or American GP at COTA that he went to. I feel like it was COTA. 

11 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

This feels like they made a contest to make a movie about a driver who was a gamer as a "true story" movie. 

if true they definitely played the long game. First GT Academy was like 2006-8. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...