David Harbour Set to Star in ‘Gran Turismo’ for Sony and Neill Blomkamp - Update Orlando Bloom joins as a “Hungry Marketing Exec” lololol

Brian

Saw this tonight in Dolby Cinema, and I suppose you can put me in the 2%. The only thing that I imagine the filmmakers dislike more than actual racing is probably the truth behind the story.

There are three details that I felt were most telling: first, that it seems the drivers can pull off their balaclava after a long race and be perfectly camera ready. The film is constantly reminding viewers how physically demanding a race is (which is true), but other than some sub-par workout montages they seem pretty afraid to actually show it. The movie just doesn’t care enough to get things right when it can instead make things more cinematic. Second, in a dramatic slow zoom on a new racing car, the natural thing to me would be to center the car, or maybe the cockpit, but here instead it centers on the sponsors logo. The film almost always has something else on it’s mind that is pulling focus from where it should be, putting emphasis in the wrong place. That is very often the obvious corporate benefactors, but I think the priorities are often misplaced in terms of story as well. Third, we are first warned, and then witness pit crew being actively hateful to their new driver, which feels both unbelievable and self destructive. It just can’t miss a beat without being overly dramatic to the point that it takes an actual, interesting story, and turns it into a daytime soap opera. Really, the whole idea that everyone would hate these kids because they’re sim drivers is stupid.

I think the film does look and sound good overall. I liked the drone shots in this better than in Ambulance. They’re not very unlike plenty of drone shots that we see actual racing teams put out, so maybe they don’t get points for originality, but they also don’t feel so out of place. 

I also think the cast did pretty well, it’s just that the script does them no favors. 

• Halal 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally watched Gran Turismo and this was a really fun movie! I enjoyed it thoroughly - it's well acted and the car action is a lot of fun to watch. Director Neill Blomkamp brings his typical flourishes to the movie which helped elevate things and the great acting, particularly by Djimon Honsou and David Harbour helped as well. The film is "true sports story" formulaic and there are way too many needle drops (good songs though at least) but the film is so tightly edited and as a result short enough as a movie that you're just focused on the racing most of the time. For a movie based on a game that gets so technical about cars it is weird to watch a movie based on that that clearly just wants to be a cool racing movie rather than something deeper but on that level it nails it. Not as good as the recent Rush or Ford v Ferrari and I doubt it will be better than Michael Mann's upcoming Ferrari or the Joseph Kosinski directed (Top Gun: Maverick), Brad Pitt starring F1 racing film coming out next year. But absolutely worth a watch for a fun time, especially since we don't normally get well budgeted racing movies.