2022 Midterm Thread

This is all pretty incredible, definitely not the result I was anticipating.  Seeing a pretty significant rebuke of the GOP at this level is energizing and should give people hope.  This is also very good news for the next couple of years, as I think we see a more and more fractured right wing in the lead up to 2024.  Long term it's still difficult to see a path out of the mess we're in, but I'm not sure how this election could have gone much better given the circumstances.

Fuck the GOP and all of its enablers.

• Like 3
  • Halal 4

Just waking up and what I'm realizing (that I kinda already knew but started to forget) is that if it wasn't for gerrymandering Republicans probably wouldn't win too many elections on the national level. They redrew the lines dramatically and with the current climate and Biden's approval rating being in the basement, last night should have been a democratic bloodbath. Maybe they should realize that Donald Trump and his base of deplorables, idiots and lunatics is NOT the way forward for them or the country. I mean damn. Even IF they win the Senate and The house ultimately, this is SHOULD be a wake up call for them.

• Halal 2

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Just waking up and what I'm realizing (that I kinda already knew but started to forget) is that if it wasn't for gerrymandering Republicans probably wouldn't win too many elections on the national level. They redrew the lines dramatically and with the current climate and Biden's approval rating being in the basement, last night should have been a democratic bloodbath. Maybe they should realize that Donald Trump and his base of deplorables, idiots and lunatics is NOT the way forward for them or the country. I mean damn. Even IF they win the Senate and The house ultimately, this is SHOULD be a wake up call for them.

But what do they do when they shift to be appealing more moderate Republicans and their base considers them traitors and RINOs? 

I’m not following too closely for anxiety reasons and I did expect things to be worse, but I am surprised to see so much celebration as rebuke aside, doesn’t it seem likely to lose both the senate/house? Is it just that we figure it’s only two years and this trends to a positive 24?

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’m not following too closely for anxiety reasons and I did expect things to be worse, but I am surprised to see so much celebration as rebuke aside, doesn’t it seem likely to lose both the senate/house? Is it just that we figure it’s only two years and this trends to a positive 24?

We already flipped one Senate seat (PA). Two governorships were also flipped. We held the governorships of PA, WI, and MI, key battleground states with state legislatures that want to gut election rights. All state legislatures in 6 key battleground states also went Democratic, thus hopefully helping to stop any 2024 election tomfoolery. Abortoin access rights won across the board, as did the better marijuana ballot measures. This was very much a blue wall rather than a red wave when typically the party in power loses a lot of ground during midterms. Democrats didn't really lose any ground, except truly fucking up NY for House seats. It's almost impressive, this is really about as good as this night could have gone for Democrats.

• Thanks 1
  • True 2
  • Halal 2
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

It's about expectations based on polling and past evidence of what has happened during midterms for unpopular Presidents. The polling suggested this would be a bad night for Democrats and past evidence suggested this should have been a bloodbath for Democrats. Neither of those happened, and there were a lot of great successes. Also the Senate is leaning towards a D victory at this point and the House, while leaning towards a R victory, it is likely it will be close. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 2

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s likely though not guaranteed that we keep the Senate.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Boebert may lose.

"Update in #CO03 where Democrat Adam Frisch has upset controversial Republican Lauren Boebert in a LIKELY R race. There just doesn't seem to be enough in Mesa to outdo Pueblo, and the whisperer himself 
@GalenMetzger1
 has seen enough."

@b_m_b_m_b_mwill single handedly support her onlyfans.

• Like 1
  • Guillotine 1
  • Haha 2
  • Halal 1

5 minutes ago, Siebzehn said:

It's about expectations based on polling and past evidence of what has happened during midterms for unpopular Presidents. The polling suggested this would be a bad night for Democrats and past evidence suggested this should have been a bloodbath for Democrats. Neither of those happened, and there were a lot of great successes. Also the Senate is leaning towards a D victory at this point and the House, while leaning towards a R victory, it is likely it will be close. 

For sure I get all that, and it makes me less anxious that the country is heading deeper towards fascism, it’s just that still suckkkkkz if we lose both. Hearing that it seems likely to win the senate still though, is why I was asking, wanted to know if there was still hope without giving myself a panic attack by reading too much! 

edit: I couldn’t see besides AZ who was the “likely” other senate win

Just now, stepee said:

For sure I get all that, and it makes me less anxious that the country is heading deeper towards fascism, it’s just that still suckkkkkz if we lose both. Hearing that it seems likely to win the senate still though, is why I was asking, wanted to know if there was still hope without giving myself a panic attack by reading too much! 

It's going to be RAZOR close in both the Senate and the House. Seems more likely Dems barely retain control of the Senate and barely lose House, but honestly can't know right now. Let's hope!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

Trepidatious hope, but hope still for sure.

21 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Imagine calling everyone on this board "rich snobs" but then supporting Dr. Oz. The cognitive dissonance is something else.

I had to. I personally don't like Oz starting back to his Ophra days. Now we are fucked for a very long time. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, stepee said:

This is a historically bad performance for the opposition party/good performance for the presidents party for a midterm. 

like if you looked only at “””the fundamentals””” gop should comfortably win the senate and get 2-3 dozen house seats. 

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

The only thing that sucks is that with the GOP in control of the House, I suspect we won't be getting any new progressive legislation passed, and that they will try to bring impeachment onto Biden because reasons.

For all the right-wing talk of Congress being a kangaroo court from 18-20, we about to found out what a kangaroo court actually is. 

• True 1

In CA the two biggest propositions revolved around expanding gambling, and they both look to be soundly defeated. Prop 26 wanted to allow sports betting on tribal lands and at four horse racing tracks, and it is losing 30/70. A much more expansive law would have allowed online sports betting and it's losing 17/83.

A very strange prop to tax the wealthy to help pay for electric cars lost, and a prohibition on the sale of flavored tobacco was upheld.

Even though I'm not in LA, I'm very happy to see Villanueva lose.