DnD movie trailer

I gotta say, when I heard that the makers of Game Night were making a D&D movie, I was expecting something completely different. I mean, basically just make that movie again, but swap out board games for tabletop RPGs. To me, that’s the only way a “Dungeons and Dragon movie” makes sense. Do the big budget version of the Community episodes.  

This just looks like generic fantasy adventure #578. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elbobo said:

This looks very "ehhh I guess I'll watch it at some point" and I play D&D every week

I don't play every week, but I've been playing pretty regularly since the pandemic started. I concur with your assessment.

I wonder if they released this trailer early to kinda capitalize on Stranger things. 

I think it looks fun as hell. There’s always that phrase “generic fantasy” that gets tossed around. But honestly, there really isn’t that much High Fantasy type stuff that gets put out on this level. So I’ll take whatever I can get. This looks almost like a way less crass Vox Machina. 

Now it should be known that I also don’t hate that Marlon Wayans D&D movie so maybe my options are completely void 😂

• Shocked 1
  • True 1

Yeah, I've seen some DnD, uh, purists? Like, ones who have no interest outside of the actual game including video games. Anyway, those people seem to have already written it off. Not that they were saying it looked like shit, but they could not care less about this movie and have no interest in seeing it. 

I want some more fuckin' fantasy so I'll probably see this. I mean, I even watched the WoW movie because holy shit the fantasy genre is fucking empty when it comes to movies and shit. For years it seems like classic fantasy shit has been limited to isekai anime. At least when it comes to shit you can watch. I know there is some shit on Netflix, but that is like from video games. Sure, DnD is a game I guess, but it isn't really the same. Like, you could remove the DnD part and this would still be the same movie. 

15 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I wonder if they released this trailer early to kinda capitalize on Stranger things. 

I think it looks fun as hell. There’s always that phrase “generic fantasy” that gets tossed around. But honestly, there really isn’t that much High Fantasy type stuff that gets put out on this level. So I’ll take whatever I can get. This looks almost like a way less crass Vox Machina. 

Now it should be known that I also don’t hate that Marlon Wayans D&D movie so maybe my options are completely void 😂

I seen the Marlon Wayans D&D movie on 5 hits of acid in theater and that didn't redeem it some of the worst acting I've ever seen in my life watching the walls melt was more fun. This looks like a strong improvement over that slop.

7 hours ago, Bacon said:

Yeah, I've seen some DnD, uh, purists? Like, ones who have no interest outside of the actual game including video games. Anyway, those people seem to have already written it off. Not that they were saying it looked like shit, but they could not care less about this movie and have no interest in seeing it. 

I want some more fuckin' fantasy so I'll probably see this. I mean, I even watched the WoW movie because holy shit the fantasy genre is fucking empty when it comes to movies and shit. For years it seems like classic fantasy shit has been limited to isekai anime. At least when it comes to shit you can watch. I know there is some shit on Netflix, but that is like from video games. Sure, DnD is a game I guess, but it isn't really the same. Like, you could remove the DnD part and this would still be the same movie. 

Oh yeah, I also not only didn’t hate the WoW movie, I kinda liked it. 

Really if it’s fantasy that’s at any level above “CW Teen love story in a fantasy skin” then km in 

• Halal 1

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

Branding this as a D&D movie is confusing. God forbid we do ANYTHING without attaching an existing IP to it! 

I mean, it is a smart move. Not confusing at all. DnD has become far more mainstream and I don't even play it. There is Critical Role for one which is pretty popular and has as lot of normie fans, which DnD dungeon dwellers dislike and hate CR for. DnD on twitch overall became somewhat popular in general thanks to a bunch of big streamers getting together and doing campaigns. While live streaming content isn't as popular as traditional media it has plenty of fans. DnD memes are massive on reddit often breaking the top 100 one r/all and there are many twitter screen shots as well so there is clearly some twitter users invested in DnD. And then there is the new Baldur's gate which will make some newer gamers more aware of DnD. And DnD is a recognized name overall which will cause even the most radicalized Christian grandmother to look at the name twice. 

• True 1
  • Halal 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Branding this as a D&D movie is confusing. God forbid we do ANYTHING without attaching an existing IP to it! 

Being able to attach a brand name to it is probably the only reason it got made with any sort of real budget, which is unfortunate. But until I hear from the screenwriters that they rolled a D20 every time the characters took an action and those rolls determined the course of the script, I will not accept this as a real D&D movie. :nottalking:

• 6 months later...

How I imagine the script-writing for a D&D movie works:

Writer: "I grew up with this universe and love it. There are so many unique and interesting tales to tell."

Studio: "Yeah we want some dragons in it. Oh, and some dungeons."

Writer: "Well those are elements of the universe, but I was thinking it would be nice if we could—"
Studio: "Oh, and big armies. And magic. Lots of quips, kids love quips."

This definitely looks like the best D&D movie so far...but it also looks incredibly generic. 

The trailers are making this look generic. The only reason I think this might be good is it's written and directed by duo John Francis Daley (yes, the kid from Freaks & Geeks) and Jonathan Goldstein. The problem is they sometimes do great work and sometimes do poor work. Of the works they've written: Horrible Bosses (very funny), The Incredible Burt Wonderstone (bad), Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 (was solid), Vacation (the one with Ed Helms, which they also directed - was bad), and Spider-Man: Homecoming (they solely wrote the story and screenplay but then an additional 4 writers on top then contributed to the screenplay so not sure how much credit to give to them but the movie was good).

They also directed, but did not write, Game Night (was pretty good) and Vacation Friends (was okay/solid). So depending on how you felt about those 7 films will tell you how you'll feel about Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves in terms of quality. My assumption is the actual film will be primarily a comedy given their previous work. 

• 1 month later...

Seems like this is actually good 🤔

RT_TwitterCard_2018.jpg
WWW.ROTTENTOMATOES.COM

A charming thief and a band of unlikely adventurers undertake an epic heist to retrieve a lost relic, but things go dangerously awry when they run afoul of the wrong people. Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves brings the rich world and playful spirit of the legendary roleplaying game to the big screen in a hilarious and action-packed adventure.

It’s honestly pretty fun. I don’t think it is a great flick by any means, but above average and entertaining. It is another example of a modern movie that could use a better editing philosophy because it really shouldn’t be more than 1:45.

56 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Says the one fucking guy that has to ask for a perception check after EVERY FUCKING SENTENCE 

If my players ever ask if they can roll [insert skill] I gently remind them that I will ask for any rolls if needed, and they simply need to let me know what they want to do and I'll determine if it requires a roll.  If they ask to roll [insert skill], immediately roll their dice before I can answer, and then shout at me the result and expect me to respond then I gently remind them with an open palm across the face to not do that.

1 minute ago, TheShader said:

If my players ever ask if they can roll [insert skill] I gently remind them that I will ask for any rolls if needed, and they simply need to let me know what they want to do and I'll determine if it requires a roll.  If they ask to roll [insert skill], immediately roll their dice before I can answer, and then shout at me the result and expect me to respond then I gently remind them with an open palm across the face to not do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it last night after my wife expressed an unanticipated interest. It's fine. It's pretty fun, light, and has just enough heart without totally overdoing it. It's by no means exceptional, but if they make a sequel I'd see it. Exactly the kind of movie that I have an A-List subscription for.

32 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Is this coming to a service? I ain't going to the movies to see it.

It’s a Paramount movie, so it should be on Paramount+ before summer

Just watched and thoroughly enjoyed it. It reminded me of the shenanigans and lighthearted campaigns that my friends and I have done.

I am sure their will be some DnD purist he will bemoan some of it, but overall I thought it did a good job presenting the system and showed the fun of the game. 

I definitely would go see a sequel.